Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Chronicle reported that Mason was back practicing free throws immediately after the game last night. Have to love the young man and his commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Capel went on further and completely dismissed the idea, saying "we don't do anything underhanded." Or maybe it was WON'T do. He went on that there's only been one man/player to shoot FT's underhanded, and granted he did it very well, but there's a reason why no one else does it.
    I think I remember watching an NBA game decades ago where, at halftime, they had one of the best free throw shooters in the league, Paul Westphal, shoot free throws against a mystery guest (who was wearing a suit suspiciously similar that worn by one of the announcers doing the game, Rick Barry). Westphal was blindfolded and the mystery guest had a bag over his head. Westphal missed; the mystery guest shot his underhanded, and swished it.

Still, Barry is such an obnoxious person that I feel a little unclean saying anything nice about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    Practice/change it...higher, softer arc. Will get more in and certainly more rolls. Must do this or NBA will not be a viable long-term option.
    Chris Dudley had an 18 year NBA career in which he shot 45% from the line, including five seasons where he made less than 40% of his throws, with a low of 31% in 1989-90. He played 13 more seasons after that particularly dreadful year.

I think that MP2's struggles are primarily mental and that often the best cure for such issues is to chant something simple/silly to clear your head. I would suggest that he say nursery rhyme in his head and shoot when he gets to a specific point. For example he could recite "hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock" and shoot when he says clock. This would stop him from thinking about the shot and all of the mechanics and just shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I think that MP2's struggles are primarily mental and that often the best cure for such issues is to chant something simple/silly to clear your head. I would suggest that he say nursery rhyme in his head and shoot when he gets to a specific point. For example he could recite "hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock" and shoot when he says clock. This would stop him from thinking about the shot and all of the mechanics and just shoot.
    He needs a little rythm (like the "hickory dickory dock" idea), get the ball on his fingertips instead of nestling so much in the palm of his hand, and add a little more arc for a softer touch. So easy!

lives near a number of big white buildings

Hypnosis?

Perhaps a medical referral to a legitimate, certified hypnotist with a demonstrable track record of success might help Mason relax more, focus more, visualize success....deal with whatever his problem is. Such a hypnotherapist would have to be very carefully selected--lots of incompetent people in the field. Perhaps there is a sports psychologist who is an excellent hypnotherapist and is so regarded by medicial professionals on the basis of his record in helping athletes deal with problems like Mason is experiencing.

^I'm feeling very sleeeeepy.

It could be worse...

Markus Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Thanks to the DBR reader who obviously tweeted in the question! Please stand up and identify yourself.
    Guilty. (Ozzie is way too perceptive )

What disappointed me in Jeff's answer was the inference that Mason is repeating/practicing his shot, but no indication that someone is actually teaching him a technique which works. I couldn't care less whether it's underhand, overhand, or sidearm...he needs to learn and master a technique which allows a chance of improvement. And to not try an unconventional method because it is too embarrassing is not a good enough excuse for this fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    He needs a little rythm (like the "hickory dickory dock" idea), get the ball on his fingertips instead of nestling so much in the palm of his hand, and add a little more arc for a softer touch. So easy!
    I finally go to watch the UVa game last night. I noticed that he *never* dribbled the ball before shooting FT's. He gets the ball from the ref, holds the ball, then shoots. I started watching all other players shoot FT's... *all* of them dribbled the ball at least once... Ryan dribbles 4 times, then twirls the ball. I think Seth dribbled twice. If I recall correctly in JJ's video on FT's, he dribbles 3 times, twirls the ball, then recites his verse... all the while never looking at the basket... then shoots. Same way every time.

Maybe Mason should try dribbling the ball before shooting FT's... and maybe even recite something... to get himself into some rythym.

It seems kinda ironic that when Mason or Miles (and even Zoubs earlier years) get the ball in the post (pas- in or rebound), their first instinct is to dribble the ball... which many folks didn't think was a good move for a big guy. I recall comments that possibly the dribble got them in balance and rythym. I didn't notice what Miles does before he shoots FT's, but maybe Mason can benefit by dribbling the ball before shooting FT's.

I also noticed that on a few FT's, Mason appeared to have the ball in the palm of his right hand... like another poster said, looks like a shot-put instead of a basketball shot.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    What disappointed me in Jeff's answer was the inference that Mason is repeating/practicing his shot, but no indication that someone is actually teaching him a technique which works. I couldn't care less whether it's underhand, overhand, or sidearm...he needs to learn and master a technique which allows a chance of improvement. And to not try an unconventional method because it is too embarrassing is not a good enough excuse for this fan.
    I also wondered about that. Mason is definitely practicing... but is anyone working with him on something that will help... even if different.

I think he should use the backboard. If he's going to shoot it flat, he has a better chance of banking it in. GoDuke!

Does anyone else think that when the crowd at Cameron goes into a dead silence when our guys are at the line it actually makes it harder for them? It's so quiet you can hear the buzzing from the overhead lights. In Mason's case, where so much of this is mental, it seems like that would just remind him that everyone's watching and waiting to see what happens.

If instead everyone just kept talking, or even made a shhh'ing sound to simulate white noise, maybe that would help him take his mind off of things.

That was JJ's request, of course. At least once, and maybe twice, the crowd did give Mason a sustained cheer at the line. Didn't seem to help, regrettably. I'm not sure the crazies can exorcise his demons. It's on him...

-jk

I just looked at the past few games...

UVa at home: 2 - 10

at GaTech: 3 - 3

at Temple: 2 - 2

Penn at home: 2 - 5

Maybe shooting FT's at Cameron is more stressful?

Interesting... I went back to the Washington game at MSG... Duke was the "home" team... Mason went 2 - 11. Maybe it's also the color of the uniform they wear (assuming the Washington game was white?).
    Last edited by gep; 01-15-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: additional game

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I just looked at the past few games...

UVa at home: 2 - 10

at GaTech: 3 - 3

at Temple: 2 - 2

Penn at home: 2 - 5

Maybe shooting FT's at Cameron is more stressful?

Interesting... I went back to the Washington game at MSG... Duke was the "home" team... Mason went 2 - 11. Maybe it's also the color of the uniform they wear (assuming the Washington game was white?).
    And he goes 4 - 4 at Clemson (played after you posted).

Hmmm...there is definitely a pattern here!

You beat me to this... Well, one pattern is away games. For home games in Cameron, maybe when Mason goes to shoot FT's, the Crazies should make "noise"... whatever may be appropriate

Another pattern... blue/black road uniforms. Unfortunately, I don't think this can be arranged in Cameron... but maybe only Mason needs to be in blue/black. The rest of the team can be in white... kinda like the libero in volleyball

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    You beat me to this... Well, one pattern is away games. For home games in Cameron, maybe when Mason goes to shoot FT's, the Crazies should make "noise"... whatever may be appropriate

Another pattern... blue/black road uniforms. Unfortunately, I don't think this can be arranged in Cameron... but maybe only Mason needs to be in blue/black. The rest of the team can be in white... kinda like the libero in volleyball
    Mason can play goalie and have a different color jersey.
    The Terrapin Assassin

I just have to add that it appears that not dribbling and deliberately palming the ball may be part of his pre-shot routine. I was watching for it, and it appeared during each attempt. Since it worked so well at Clemson, I say go for it! It also may mean that his problems are fundamentally mental, as it was mentioned that he has been practicing a lot.

Go Mason!

ricks

Well JJ Redick himself says it is harder to shoot a free throw in Cameron than away. He says it is to eerie and makes it harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZmMs1Uohw

Mason went 4-4 from the line against Clemson...signs of improvement? I think so