Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ivy League And The ACC

Just saw the lines in Today's NY Post for tonights games...Harvard is an 11 1/2 favorite at BC and Wake is just a 1 1/2 point favorite at home against Yale.

I do not know if they are correct but if they were I was very surprised to see them especially Wake's.

Harvard/Wake

Those are correct - you have somehow missed this board's excitement over what Tommy has done with Harvard. They currently ranked in both polls.

As far as Wake/Yale, well, Wake's not very good this year.

There are threads on this board following both Tommy Amaker's ascension at Harvard and Johnny D's work at Stanford. I suggest checking them out; they are both really doing some great work.

Thoughts on Harvard at Boston College

Amaker takes his troops to Boston College tonight. According to Ken Poemroy's ACC simulations, the BC Eagles have less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning the conference. How do you think they will fair against one of the best Ivy league squads in recent memory.
    Please provide your score predictions.
    Harvard 72 Boston College 56

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Harvard has beaten BC every year that Tommy has been coaching, so I'm sure it's a game that the Eagles have written down on their schedule with a bit of a grudge. Besides the win streak, it's also impressive that each one has been a road victory for the Crimson.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Harvard has beaten BC every year that Tommy has been coaching, so I'm sure it's a game that the Eagles have written down on their schedule with a bit of a grudge.
    HA! A fun article from after last year's game, from the BC perspective.
    I'm going to get right to the point and not sugarcoat this: BC's loss to Harvard was bad. Really bad. Season destroying? For now, I'll say no but without a doubt our tournament hopes are in the ICU and another shocker like this puts them in the morgue
    http://www.aroundtheres.com/2011/01/...d-loss-to.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Amaker takes his troops to Boston College tonight. According to Ken Poemroy's ACC simulations, the BC Eagles have less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning the conference. How do you think they will fair against one of the best Ivy league squads in recent memory.
    Please provide your score predictions.
    Harvard 72 Boston College 56
    Pomeroy has BC with only a 13% chance of victory, and a projected margin of 67-56 (Both teams are slow enough that scoring 72 points would be tough.) Of course, this is in the top 3 hardest games for BC this year, though they're previous 2 (Neutral games against SLU and UNM respectively) were on neutral floors. This is a home game. And they're still 11 point dogs. Ouch.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Harvard got off to a very slow start (six minutes before its first field goal), but they are now on a 15-2 run and lead by six with five minutes to go in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Harvard got off to a very slow start (six minutes before its first field goal), but they are now on a 15-2 run and lead by six with five minutes to go in the first half.
    Any K-style tongue lashings?

Harvard 67 BC 46... nice recovery by the crimson after falling behind 14-3

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Harvard 67 BC 46... nice recovery by the crimson after falling behind 14-3
    4th year in a row that Harvard has beaten BC.
    When man bites dog repeatedly, is it still news?
    Or maybe BC is a lost dog that didn't adapt well at all to it's ACC home?

Sorry for the labored metaphors; I'm happy for Tommy and what he's accomplished at Harvard.
    Don't like seeing BC and a few other ACC schools failing to live up to the historical excellence of ACC hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    4th year in a row that Harvard has beaten BC.
    When man bites dog repeatedly, is it still news?
    Or maybe BC is a lost dog that didn't adapt well at all to it's ACC home?

Sorry for the labored metaphors; I'm happy for Tommy and what he's accomplished at Harvard.
    Don't like seeing BC and a few other ACC schools failing to live up to the historical excellence of ACC hoops.
    Wow - Harvard crunches BC at Chestnut Hill by 20! Ouch. That has gotta hurt for the Eagle fans - they've always lorded that BB (and really athletics in general) superiority over Harvard within the Boston area. The BC fans were really fired up in the first ten minutes with the solid initial lead. My sister, a BC grad, was at the game and reported that "Amaker was definately being heard in the first half." So, yes, his players (and some refs) heard his frustration.

Not looking like a good year for BC.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 12-29-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Wow, the oddsmakers were right on with the Wake-Yale game...Wake 72 Yale 71 and Wake was a 1 1/2 point favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Not looking like a good year for BC.
    BC should consider themselves extremely fortunate if they manage to win 10 games this year.

Princeton up 27-10 at the half at Florida State. Unreal.

Princeton hung on to beat FSU 75-73 in Triple Overtime. Next up in the Ivy League/ACC Challenge is Duke vs Penn on Sunday. The Quakers are 6-7 after dropping a 75-70 decision to Davidson on Thursday. Duke beat Davidson 82-69 back on November 18th.
    Bob Green

The ACC is as top-heavy as an orange on a toothpick.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Yep. It's sad really. I really hope this year is rock bottom, and the new coaches start moving the bar upward beginning next year. I believe we finally have good coaches now at all of the schools except Wake and UNC (I keed I keed). So now it;s time to recruit and build programs. If the Regular Season winner finishes with more than 3 losses I will be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    FSU was supposed to comprise part of the orange, not the toothpick. I saw how good Princeton was last year when I attended their NCAA tourney game versus Kentcuky. Still, the halftime score of 27-10 over FSU was shocking. Considering the solid play of some IVY league schools thus far, should we be quaking in our boots over our impending trip to the Palestra?

HYP, HYP, Hooray?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Princeton hung on to beat FSU 75-73 in Triple Overtime. Next up in the Ivy League/ACC Challenge is Duke vs Penn on Sunday. The Quakers are 6-7 after dropping a 75-70 decision to Davidson on Thursday. Duke beat Davidson 82-69 back on November 18th.
    Fortunately for Florida State that, having lost to Harvard and Princeton, it does not have to play Yale. Ten points in the first half? Yikes!!

sage

acc-ivy challenge

Well, the Ivy now has a 3-2 edge on the ACC with Harvard beating FSU and Boston College; Princeton beating FSU; N.C. State beating Princeton and Wake Forest edging Yale.

So if Duke wins Sunday vs. Penn, the ACC can get even.

Then the rubber match will be Jan. 3, when Maryland meets Cornell.