Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    I'll dig out the 1995-1996 CD-ROM yearbook, tomorrow, if nobody finds a recording beforehand. Both the 1991 and 1992 season highlight videos include Dr. Chandler's announcement.
    Dr. Chandler did not announce the games at Cameron during the 1990-91 season. His reserve unit was called to the Middle East for the first Iraq War.

Coach K still gave him a championship ring or watch (I don't remember) and commented (with his usual dry humor) that the team had to send him out of the country in order to win. After the '92 win, Coach said (paraphrasing) guess it wasn't your fault all those years.

Duke PA early 1960s

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Dr. Chandler did not announce the games at Cameron during the 1990-91 season. His reserve unit was called to the Middle East for the first Iraq War.

Coach K still gave him a championship ring or watch (I don't remember) and commented (with his usual dry humor) that the team had to send him out of the country in order to win. After the '92 win, Coach said (paraphrasing) guess it wasn't your fault all those years.
    Was sorry to hear Dr. Chandler had passed away. But this post made me think of the PA guy in the early 1960s. I don't think Dr. Chandler came until the late 60s. I can remember the PA guy introducing the starting lineups with: "from Rockville Center, NY #25, Art Heyman and from Lexington, KY, #44, Jeff Mullins. He introduced all the Duke players that way(hometown, #, and players name). It made chills go up my spine. Does anyone know who that PA guy was? Bet Mr. Sumner knows. GoDuke!

RIP Doc

Always liked the man's voice.

I remember one time early in the 1996-97 season, Mike Chappell went into the game and Dr. Chandler said something along the lines of "In for the Blue Devils, number twenty Mike Chappell (pronouncing the last name CHA-pel, like the Duke Chapel)" All the Crazies started yelling "It's SHU-pel, SHU-pel".

After about ten seconds of this Dr. Chandler said over the microphone "Mike Chappell" (pronouncing it correctly), and everybody cheered.

I like a man who isn't too big to recognize a mistake now and then.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron

beyond the microphone..

Art Chandler was a terrific physician, educator, and mentor. I had the privilege and pleasure of working with him as a scrub tech in college, a medical student at Duke, plus residency training, and then being a colleague in the Durham medical community until his retirement from the UNC faculty a few years ago.
    His dad was an ophthalmologist as well, and Art was the quintessential physician for his patients and residents. He ran the Duke Eye training program for several decades until the mid-eighties when he went into local private practice. During the Duke years, he trained each of us residents in our first few cataract procedures, and every three months, he had a new resident assinged to him for that purpose. I don't know if I could do that. He was an authority in many of the ophthalmic areas that are the most confusing, strabismus (cross-eyed patients), neuro-ophth oddities, and lid plastic procedures. He could make make things seem simpler when teaching (or at least until he left the room!) and a generation of Duke trained ophthalmologists are indebted to him for how they absorbed the things needed to take care of patients with practical eye problems.
    He did well in local private practice, but when he agreed to go to Kuwait with his MASH unit during the first Gulf War, none of us realized that his patient population jsut didn't wait for him. He also missed teaching, and when a fellow West Virginian who was the chair of the UNC ophthalmology department offered him a teaching position, he took it gladly, and I understand that the UNC residents appreciated his type of teaching as well as we did in the era before computers!
    They don't make them like him any longer, and we all will miss his contribution to ophthalmologic training.
    JStuart, Duke Eye Center, '81

Recording of Dr. Chandler

The Duke Pep Band recorded a CD around 2003 that includes Dr. Chandler announcing "Here comes Duke!" along with all the cheers, songs, etc. then used (most of which are still around). There's even an (unnumbered) track at the end of GTHC.