Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dr Art Chandler.. former voice of Cameron Indoor Stadium

I just read Dr Chandler's obit on heraldsun.com. If this is posted somewhere else, please excuse me for I didnt see it. Just wanted to post this so DBR readers would be aware.

December 27, 2011

12 hrs ago | 1334 views | 0 | 2 | |

DURHAM

Arthur C. Chandler Jr.

DURHAM — Arthur C. Chandler Jr., MD, Professor Emeritus of Comprehensive Ophthalmology at UNC at Chapel Hill and longtime Duke faculty member was born on Valentine's Day in 1933 and died at Hock Family Pavilion on Christmas Day, 2011. He was known as the Voice of Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke University for 40 years, ending last year. He was active and proudly served in the US Army Reserve achieving the rank of Colonel and acting commander as southeast regional medical director for the 81st Regional Support Command. He also enjoyed a lifelong dedication to teaching medical students and residents at both UNC at Chapel Hill and Duke University.

He is survived by his wife of 31 years, Sarah Chandler; three sons, Dr. Arthur Chandler III and wife, Lisa of Tivoli, NY, Matthew Chandler of Huntington, NY, John Chandler and wife, Alex, of Valatie, NY; daughter, Ashley Chandler of Carlsbad, Calif.; step-daughter, Amy Wienken-Barger and husband, Geoffrey, of Harper's Ferry, W.Va.; and 10 grandchildren.

The Chandler family will receive friends and family at Howerton & Bryan Funeral Home, 1005 W. Main St., Durham, on Thursday, Dec, 29, 2011, from 6 until 8 p.m.. Per Art's request there will be no other memorial service. Art's ashes will be scattered in the Greenbriar River in West Virginia this summer.

Those who wish to make a donation in Art's honor may do so to either the Arthur C. Chandler MD Endowment Fund, UNC at Chapel Hill Department of Ophthalmology which supports residents and teaching programs (on-line or contact Sandy Scarlett, 919 843-1299) or to Duke HomeCare & Hospice, Office of Development, 4321 Medical Park Drive, Durham, NC 27704 (please specify Hospice).

Online condolences may be sent to www.howertonbryan.com click obituaries.

Howerton & Bryan Funeral Home is assisting the Chandler family.

Read more: The Herald-Sun - December 27 2011

Here comes Duke.

Goodbye, Dr. Chandler. I'm so glad I got to Cameron for a game for the first time when I did, in January of 2009 against Virginia Tech, so that I could hear firsthand those golden pipes. The Voice of Cameron doesn't do the man nearly enough justice. He was the Voice of Heaven.

Having just gone to my first game since I was a student, Mr. Chandler's absence was truly felt. I thought he added a whole lot of class and dignity to the proceedings, which says a lot given the canvas he was working on. Rest in peace.

To me he was a huge part of the Cameron Indoor experience, iconic really. "Here comes Duke!!". - the lineup intros, the announcement on the last regular season game of the '92 season - "see you at the Final Four". He was obviously so much more than that.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Thanks for the notice of the sad news. Funny what sticks with you. When I reference the City of Durham, I sometimes jokingly append "home of your nationally ranked Duke Blue Devils" b/c that's what Dr. Chandler would say in his intro ...

I also just learned that long-time Duke jack-of-all-trades Clark Cahow died on December 14.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/new...&pid=155041798

I believe Dr. Cahow was the admissions director who Billy King charmed on his way into Duke, as the story goes ...

http://articles.philly.com/1999-04-0...king-pat-croce

I'm glad I was able to be at cameron for the last few years of his career. I think all future duke fans who will never have the opportunity to be in cameron for a game he announces is such a loss.

Best for his family.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Thanks for the notice of the sad news. Funny what sticks with you. When I reference the City of Durham, I sometimes jokingly append "home of your nationally ranked Duke Blue Devils" b/c that's what Dr. Chandler would say in his intro ...

I also just learned that long-time Duke jack-of-all-trades Clark Cahow died on December 14.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/new...&pid=155041798

I believe Dr. Cahow was the admissions director who Billy King charmed on his way into Duke, as the story goes ...

http://articles.philly.com/1999-04-0...king-pat-croce
    Yes Dr. Chandler was excellent, part of what has made Cameron so special.
    And thanks for the Cahow mention; he was an advisor to our fraternity way back; really a great guy.

Dr. Chandler deserves to be remembered with some other classic public address announcers:
    Bob Sheppard of the Yankees comes to mind.
    Also Dave Zinkoff who used to do the 76'ers games.
    Memories of Dave Zinkoff

Not much to say. The voice of Duke falls silent. I'll miss him.

I was personally a big fan of the way he called out rejections. He may have never over-embellished calls but I loved the way he subtly showed a touch of extra excitement after a big play. He is already missed in Cameron and I'm sure his soul will be missed on Earth.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was not aware of his affiliation with Carolina; I can only imagine some of the conversations he had with his colleagues about his "other job". RIP.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

May Dr. Chandler and Bill Brill rest in peace.

This reminds me of when Max Crowder passed, too. There are some institutions within the institution that helped make Duke Basketball what it is today.

Condolences to the families.

A big loss. Dr. Chandler's voice introducing the guys before each game was a real treat, and worlds better than most modern announcers.

Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Does anyone know of any recordings of "Here Comes Duke!" or other bits of Dr. Chandler's announcing available on-line? I'd love to re-live the memories.

RIP old friend.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Dr Art Chandler

I tried Youtube but couldn't locate any audio...his drawl was evident but it was crisp. I'll echo what another poster said...I loved the way that he called rejections, and he was neither monotone or "sing-song" with his delivery. Missed hearing that voice. What a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Does anyone know of any recordings of "Here Comes Duke!" or other bits of Dr. Chandler's announcing available on-line? I'd love to re-live the memories.
    I'll dig out the 1995-1996 CD-ROM yearbook, tomorrow, if nobody finds a recording beforehand. Both the 1991 and 1992 season highlight videos include Dr. Chandler's announcement.

Chandler

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/10537510/

Some clips here (scroll to bottom) and explanation of how "Here Comes Duke" came into existence.

If anyone has one of his senior night announcements, the gods would look kindly upon you for sharing

There's video and an interview from his last game (82-50) in this post: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/12/...s-passes-away/