Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 1,081 to 1,098 of 1098

duh!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Joe Lebowitz??
    Duh!

Sorry about that. It was of course Joe Leiberman that McCain wanted as his VP. Not sure how I got Liebowtiz (unless I WAS thinking of the Big Lebowski, one of my favorite movies).

Come to think about it, Walter Sobchak (the John Goodman character) from Big Lebowski would make a great Republican VP candidate -- could you imagine him going after Obama with his bowling ball??!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    According to Intrade:
    Rubio 21.5%
    Portman 17.3%
    Christie 10.6%
    Mitch Daniels 7.3%
    Bob McDonnel 6.0%
    Paul Ryan 4.5%
    Kelly Ayotte 3.5%
    John Thune 3.3%
    Tim Pawlenty 3.1%

Then there are a bunch of names in the 2% kinda range and even lower.

-Jason "at this point in the cycle 4 years ago, I doubt Palin would have even been at 1%" Evans
    I doubt Palin would have been at 1% the day before she was named!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Duh!

Sorry about that. It was of course Joe Leiberman that McCain wanted as his VP. Not sure how I got Liebowtiz (unless I WAS thinking of the Big Lebowski, one of my favorite movies).

Come to think about it, Walter Sobchak (the John Goodman character) from Big Lebowski would make a great Republican VP candidate -- could you imagine him going after Obama with his bowling ball??!!!!
    No debates on Shabbat. But he can get you a toe.

Duh!

showing my age here, but perhaps you were recalling Fawn Liebowitz from Animal House, whose death in a freak kiln accident formed the basis for Otter lining up sympathy dates for himself, Boone, Pinto and Flounder on their road trip from Faber

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    showing my age here, but perhaps you were recalling Fawn Liebowitz from Animal House, whose death in a freak kiln accident formed the basis for Otter lining up sympathy dates for himself, Boone, Pinto and Flounder on their road trip from Faber
    Pitchfork points for you!

I just talked to her last week... She was going to make a pot for me.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Joe Lebowitz??
    He also said choosing Eagleton in 1984 was an "egregious error". And indeed, it is.

The Sobchak approach had mixed results in 2008; doubt that we would see that again so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    He also said choosing Eagleton in 1984 was an "egregious error". And indeed, it is.
    I again dispute the notion that choosing Eagleton (it was '72, not '84) was an "egregious error." The way he was treated after it hit the fan was an "egregious error." And, of course, McGovern wasn't gonna win anyway.

the house

Which immediately brings to mind Greg Marmalard, the president of Omega House, who served in the Nixon White House (raped in prison, 1974). Maybe he would be rehabilitated enough to be on the '2012 ticket?

Which immediately brings to mind Greg Marmalard, the president of Omega House, who served in the Nixon White House (raped in prison, 1974). Maybe he would be rehabilitated enough to be on the '2012 ticket?
    Wonder if Senator Blutowski is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I again dispute the notion that choosing Eagleton (it was '72, not '84) was an "egregious error." The way he was treated after it hit the fan was an "egregious error." And, of course, McGovern wasn't gonna win anyway.
    I was making a joke -- the egregious error was saying it was '84.

Otter? You mean "Frank Lymon from Amherst?"

"I really shouldn't impose on you."

"No, really. Anything."

"I don't think I should be alone tonight. Would you go out with me?"

"I'll get my coat."

"And could you get three dates for my friends?"

I was making a joke -- the egregious error was saying it was '84.
    I understand that. But the original post that referred to Eagleton's selection as an egregious error was, itself, an egregious error.

Otter? You mean "Frank Lymon from Amherst?"

"I really shouldn't impose on you."

"No, really. Anything."

"I don't think I should be alone tonight. Would you go out with me?"

"I'll get my coat."

"And could you get three dates for my friends?"

And to bring this discussion full-circle and back on topic, let's not forget that Otter himself went on to be....Vice President of the United States. Sadly, though, Otter's political career will probably be remembered more for its unfulfilled promise than his actual accomplishments.

As a prominent Democratic senator from Texas, Otter was the odds-on favorite to win the party's nomination for President, but something was missing, and some of the people closest to him knew it. In hindsight, maybe he should've sensed a problem when one of his top staffers (who was presumably no relation to Otter's road trip alter ego) defected to the longshot campaign of the Nobel laureate governor of New Hampshire.

In retrospect, Otter's selection as the VP candidate made tactical sense. While he and the President had a cool relationship and grudgingly respected (but otherwise didn't really care much for) each other, the pairing gave the party a ticket that unified the insurgent and establishment wings, and carried at least some cachet in the South. And while nobody else knew it at the time, the arrangement required Otter to delay his presidential ambitions for only four years (or so he thought), as the President secretly intended (at least initially) to serve only one term due to an undisclosed health condition. Of course, the President later changed his mind, ran for and won re-election, and poor Otter was undone by a sex scandal after he had an affair with a DC socialite (given his antics at Faber, are we really surprised?), and he resigned the Vice Presidency. He later wrote a tell-all book and tried to make a political comeback, running again for the Democratic nomination for President, but he ultimately lost to another Texan and his political career was pretty much over at that point.

I knew a Gopher who became a Congressman, and when I lived in Atlanta I was represented by a Cooter.

So there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Rubio has said several times that he won't be the VP pick, even going so far as to say last week that Romney should pick someone with more experience. Of course, that was a week ago, which is an eternity in modern politics.

One consideration that may be on Rubio's mind is that he supposedly really wants to push some sort of Republican version of immigration reform. But if he accepts the VP nomination, it'll be hard for him to campaign and do that at the same time, especially given the tightrope that Romney will have to walk on the issue given the relatively hard-line positions he staked out in the last two Republican primary cycles ("self-deportation," anyone?).

My hypothesis: Rubio wants to run for President someday, and will end up doing whatever he thinks will help him most in that regard. If that means joining the ticket, that's what he'll do. If that means campaigning with Romney to up his national profile and acting as an unofficial ambassador/consigliere for Romney on immigration issues while staying in the Senate to work on DREAM Act Lite, that's what he'll do. And as always, I base this hypothesis on absolutely nothing.

What happened to all the Rob Portman chatter? That's all anyone could talk about last week, and now it's like he fell into a hole or something and nobody can find him.
    The situation with Rubio as a potential VP pick and the relationship to his position on immigration is interesting. The idea that Rubio fixes all of Romney's problems on immigration is questionable.

For starters, most observers would say that Rubio's position on immigration is squarely to the right of most Hispanic voters'. Moreover, all Hispanics are not alike, and they don't all come from the same place, despite what some in the media would have us assume. Rubio is Cuban-American. Cubans have enjoyed almost unfettered access to our shores for some time now, and are granted automatic citizenship, in stark contrast to the plight of would-be emigres from other Latin American countries. There is resentment towards Cubans from the citizens of many other Latin countries, and Cuban-Americans are viewed by many Latinos as "privileged" and "elites."

Perhaps most importantly, Rubio has been engaged in a well-publicized war over Univision's coverage of some of the personal and family-related skeletons in Rubio's closet. Univision is by far the most influential opinion leader for Hispanic voters nationwide, and is on record as well as being strongly in favor of a type of comprehensive immigration reform that would not be palatable to Rubio, if his past statements are any guide.

While Rubio's presence on the ticket would surely strengthen Romney's hand in Florida, his impact on the crucial "Hispanic vote" in the rest of the nation, is, in my mind, uncertain.

"This is the way the world ends
    This is the way the world ends
    This is the wya the world ends
    Not with a bang, but a whimper."

-- T.S. Eliot, on Newt's announcement today (attrib.)

If this "war on women" meme continues, I expect him to nominate a woman. Has Nikki Haley been written off yet?
    How about Carly Fiorina as a CA non-insider, former CEO, business leader, cancer survivor, woman. Might still not save CA but would be an interesting pick. Think she is heading up Mitt's CA campaign. Any other possible non-politician VP candidates out there?