Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very happy for Shane - so glad he escaped Memphis.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Good to see Shane on a team with a legitimate title shot. Although with reports now surfacing about Chris Paul to the Lakers being almost done, the Heat's chances may have taken a bit of a hit.

That's new

It was surprising to see Jalen Rose saying something nice about a Dukie on ESPN...

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    Good to see Shane on a team with a legitimate title shot. Although with reports now surfacing about Chris Paul to the Lakers being almost done, the Heat's chances may have taken a bit of a hit.
    The Paul to LA rumors are interesting. I feel like that only works if they can then somehow convince the Magic to take a Howard/Bynum deal, because they'd give away their only real post scorer (Bynum is a garbage bucket guy) and replace him with another guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. But if the Lakers somehow managed to get Paul and Howard (which would be shocking and very annoying), they'd look really good. At that point I'd say the Heat's title chances take a BIG hit for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Paul to LA rumors are interesting. I feel like that only works if they can then somehow convince the Magic to take a Howard/Bynum deal, because they'd give away their only real post scorer (Bynum is a garbage bucket guy) and replace him with another guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. But if the Lakers somehow managed to get Paul and Howard (which would be shocking and very annoying), they'd look really good. At that point I'd say the Heat's title chances take a BIG hit for the next few years.
    Agree that Gasol means more to the Lakers than Bynum (but of course Bynum would be more enticing for Orlando than a guy on the wrong side of 30). If it is just Gasol/Odom for Paul, then it's likely a lateral move for this year, but still worth it IMO for their future. However, should they also land Okafor in the deal, I think they clearly improve.

If Howard forces Orlando's hand and joins them, the Lakers then become a video game team, even more so than the Heat.

Regardless, this is not good for the NBA product.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Very happy for Shane - so glad he escaped Memphis.
    Chris,

Have you ever been to Memphis? Have you stayed for more than a week?

I have called Memphis my home for nearly 20 years. Raised two kids here.
    When people ask me what Durham is like, I tell them it's a smaller version of Memphis. And that's
    a compliment!

I know for a fact that Shane feels the same way I do. He had to make a tough decision, part of it financial (the Grizzlies
    couldn't come up with the money the Heat were offering), and part of it competitive (Memphis will field one of the top 10 teams in the
    NBA this season, but the Heat are certainly one of the top two teams in the league.)
    This is Shane's last contract, he wants security for his family, and a championship for his competitive fire.

He did not "escape" Memphis. He is leaving tearfully. Memphis fans wish him the best, and fully understand why he has chosen this route.

Congrats to Shane but...

Damn. Now I have to be a Heat fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    Agree that Gasol means more to the Lakers than Bynum (but of course Bynum would be more enticing for Orlando than a guy on the wrong side of 30). If it is just Gasol/Odom for Paul, then it's likely a lateral move for this year, but still worth it IMO for their future. However, should they also land Okafor in the deal, I think they clearly improve.

If Howard forces Orlando's hand and joins them, the Lakers then become a video game team, even more so than the Heat.

Regardless, this is not good for the NBA product.
    Disagree. The NBA has always been built on dynasties and rivalries. I guarantee you the NBA will get colossal ratings for a Lakers-Heat Finals, and good ratings for regular season games involving the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, and Knicks.

I think it's shady, and it's not good for parity, but it's going to make the NBA loads of money.

heat-lakers final will be amazing if it happens...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Shane Heat Confusion

I'm very confused on this too. I'll always love Shane, but the Heat? I remember when Jon was trying out for Miami being worried that I'd have to become a Heat fan then. I'll get used to it, but I'm still not cheering for D-Wade yet.

y'all go ahead and hate....this is awesome for shane...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

So, uh... about that Heat-Lakers final...

Shane is one of my all-time favorite players (nobody can pass Christian), but I hate the Heat with a passion. I hate their attitude, but, most of all, I hate Lebron. Lebron is the most overhyped player ever and his comments usually make me think he deserves no respect as a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Shane is one of my all-time favorite players (nobody can pass Christian), but I hate the Heat with a passion. I hate their attitude, but, most of all, I hate Lebron. Lebron is the most overhyped player ever and his comments usually make me think he deserves no respect as a man.
    Not over the top at all there...I generally cheered against the Heat before Shane got involved, but get into "hate" so much? I dunno...doesn't seem like all that hate is a thing to want to have, personally, sports hate or no.

Hate on Lebron

Its funny to me as a Duke fan reading about other Duke fans hating on Lebron. I know "The Decision" was a little out there, but hey $2 million went to the Boys and Girls Club so who really cares. Isn't hating Lebron a little like non Duke fans hating on Duke? Mainly due to the fact you either root for him or he beats the team you root for more often than not so you cant stand him? Or is it the fact that the media tells you he should be hated?

Admit it, if Shane played for the 1972 Soviet National Team -- you'd root for the Ruskies

Shane is going to show these guys how to hustle, play as a team, and win a championship

As time goes on, we'll hate Lebron less and respect him more. He's about where Michael was around 1990; the Lakers and Celtics are aging,
    and he's been around a while now too, so people are starting to think that maybe it's his turn. I mean, just about every deserving Hall of Famer
    of this past era now has a ring (I think Nowitzki was the last one who didn't (Steve Nash?)) , so in the next year or two people will start coming
    more over on his side. He's already paid a lot of dues, so he's almost ready to join the club.

Quote Originally Posted by millerecu View Post
    Its funny to me as a Duke fan reading about other Duke fans hating on Lebron. I know "The Decision" was a little out there, but hey $2 million went to the Boys and Girls Club so who really cares. Isn't hating Lebron a little like non Duke fans hating on Duke? Mainly due to the fact you either root for him or he beats the team you root for more often than not so you cant stand him? Or is it the fact that the media tells you he should be hated?
    I don't think so. There's plenty of evidence (including but not limited to "The Decision") suggesting that he's just not a good person. Lebron hasn't always been hated, and the hatred doesn't seem at all tied to his success.

Great spot for Shane, though - he's a perfect fit on that team. Not sure I can stomach rooting for his team but I hope Shane has a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    As time goes on, we'll hate Lebron less and respect him more. He's about where Michael was around 1990; the Lakers and Celtics are aging,
    and he's been around a while now too, so people are starting to think that maybe it's his turn. I mean, just about every deserving Hall of Famer
    of this past era now has a ring (I think Nowitzki was the last one who didn't (Steve Nash?)) , so in the next year or two people will start coming
    more over on his side. He's already paid a lot of dues, so he's almost ready to join the club.
    A couple of thoughts here. First, hate and respect coexist. I respect Lebron's game (holy crap is he good), I just don't really like the guy that much. The difference between Lebron and Mike is that Mike had a public face and image that he very carefully kept up. People didn't get to see the real MJ. With Lebron, he's always just himself, more of an open book. Some just don't like the book that much. Lebron and his team (agent, publicists) are surely trying really hard to figure out how to improve his approval rating. I just don't know that he'll succeed. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I don't think so. There's plenty of evidence (including but not limited to "The Decision") suggesting that he's just not a good person. Lebron hasn't always been hated, and the hatred doesn't seem at all tied to his success.

Great spot for Shane, though - he's a perfect fit on that team. Not sure I can stomach rooting for his team but I hope Shane has a great year.
    It amazes me that a man could single-handedly raise millions of dollars for charities, and then be called a bad person simply for being cocky. Is it really that much of a crime? I mean, it's not like he embezzled funds, or dealt drugs, or got caught in a gambling scandal, or ran into the stands and beat the bejeezus out of some fan. He's just a little cocky, which to be honest is pretty hard to avoid when you're one of the top 3 players in the world (and that's being conservative). I just don't see it as that big of a deal.