Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New NC 540

New NC 540

I was wondering if any of the Triangle Dukies took the new NC 540 to work this morning. If so, please share your experience on the new road.

My commute doesn't involve the new highway, though I believe the part of 40 West I do take was positively impacted by the new road as it certainly seemed easier to get on 40 at Wade Ave than it normally does.

Why not I 540?

Lately, the triangle media have been discussing the opening of the new link in the outside belt line. Some emphasis has been given to the renaming of the new segment to NC 540. It was constructed as part of the Eisenhower Interstate System. Things have changed over the years, but the way the interstate was constructed was 90% Federally funded and 10% local funding. How much of the new segment was Federally funded? Wouldn't USDOT have some say in the designation of the highway as either a state road or an Interstate highway?

The NCDOT reason for making the change appears to be because the segment will eventually be part of the toll road that is planned as part of the outside belt line. Why should that be a factor. I recall that the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike in Virginia was a toll road (gratefully, the toll booths have been removed), but it was designated as I 95, part of the Interstate System. Why would NCDOT feel any need to make it a country road?

While I'm at it, NCDOT sees a problem with the idea of the Inner Loop as descriptive of the clockwise direction of the Beltline, and the Outer Loop for the counter-clockwise direction. That seems pretty simple to me. In fact it may even be the standard. I guess the overabundance of UNC Graduates in the Triangle have not been able to figure it out. Actually, though, it would have made more sense to call them the clockwise loop and the counter-clockwise loop, but that wouldn't have complied with the standard.

This new segment ends at NC 54, I believe. It won't do me any good until the whole thing gets completed, but I hope it helps end the traffic congestion in the triangle. I hope they drop those toll road plans, though. Why should southern Wake County and us south of there have to pay a toll?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    While I'm at it, NCDOT sees a problem with the idea of the Inner Loop as descriptive of the clockwise direction of the Beltline, and the Outer Loop for the counter-clockwise direction. That seems pretty simple to me. In fact it may even be the standard. I guess the overabundance of UNC Graduates in the Triangle have not been able to figure it out.

This new segment ends at NC 54, I believe. It won't do me any good until the whole thing gets completed, but I hope it helps end the traffic congestion in the triangle. I hope they drop those toll road plans, though. Why should southern Wake County and us south of there have to pay a toll?
    Point 1 is very funny! I love it. GTHC!

As to the toll road, I'll only use that section of NC540 on rare occasion, if ever, but if it gets it built years earlier than federal funding will be available, I think it is a great idea. The only toll road I use regularly is the Cross Island Parkway on Hilton Head Island, SC. Now, when I say regularly, I mean during the one week per year that I am there, and then I'll typically drop $8 to $10 using the thing getting onto the Island and off, usually to play golf. It saves anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes of travel time each way compared to getting on the "old road", and is well worth the $1 it costs to travel the roughly 5 miles. The old road (Hwy 278) is still there to use for free for those that want to spend the time and not the money. Me, my time is worth more than the buck it costs to use the bypass.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Hey, Oz,
    I got confused. The new stretch ends at NC 55, not NC 54. There was an interesting article in this AM's News and Observer.

http://www.newsobserver.com/248/story/639651.html

Appears that there may be an abundance of State grads at NCDOT. Why would they cut what was a two lane exit from 540 to 40 (East and West) down to a one lane exit? Sheesh, it's two lane from 40 to 167, as I recall.

I guess we differ on toll roads. I don't like them, because they force me to come out of cruise control. Usually only flashing blue lights will do that.

Slowing down

I guess we differ on toll roads. I don't like them, because they force me to come out of cruise control. Usually only flashing blue lights will do that.
    I agree with that, although I set my cruise control so I don't have to worry about flashing blue lights. 5o or 4 to 6 mph over the posted speed limit is my target, unless most traffic is moving faster and I can do 10 over in the right (slow) lane. If I am the only car on the road, like late at night, 5 over is my limit. I have always found it faster to not spend 20 minutes on the side of the road "discussing" the situation with an officer.

If I were to be using toll roads regularly, I would certainly have one of those "fast pass" devices that operate on electronic signals as you pass through the open unmanned toll booth. If the different states had one common pass (think traveling up to NY from NC, including the Baltimore/Washington area and the NJ Turnpike and then down to HHI, which I typically do every 12 to 18 months, then I would get one. But as it stands now they are separate tolling authorities so I sit in the long, slow moving line to pay cash for tolls.

9F 9F 9F

In Florida we can purchase a Sun Pass for use on toll roads and toll bridges. The Pass is put on the windshield with suction cups and allows the owner to use special lanes at toll plazas to move through without stopping. They also result in reduced toll fees. The balance on the Pass can be refilled automatically via tying the device to a credit card.

Much more convenient than stop n pay!

Lightbulb the cost

the price tag of $102 million amazes me. Thats $56,818.19 a foot!!!

for a four mile stretch. I rode on it the other evening, and it is nice. But it is not one that I would ever use because of where it ends. I imagine that the people in Apex that commute that way are excited though.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If I were to be using toll roads regularly, I would certainly have one of those "fast pass" devices that operate on electronic signals as you pass through the open unmanned toll booth. If the different states had one common pass (think traveling up to NY from NC, including the Baltimore/Washington area and the NJ Turnpike and then down to HHI, which I typically do every 12 to 18 months, then I would get one. But as it stands now they are separate tolling authorities so I sit in the long, slow moving line to pay cash for tolls.
    EZ Pass covers most of the northeast, from VA up. Current EZPass States: Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Maine, Massachusetts and Illinois.

Some states charge a monthly maintenance fee (NJ, I think, does), some don't (I believe MD doesn't). You can link it to your credit card, and they will automatically replenish your account as needed, and send regular statements. If you get one without the fee, the only cost (other than the actual tolls) is to deposit about $25 on the account.

EZ Pass definitely speeds up the I-95 corridor trips. Can't help with HHI, though.

-jk

The NCDOT reason for making the change appears to be because the segment will eventually be part of the toll road that is planned as part of the outside belt line. Why should that be a factor. I recall that the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike in Virginia was a toll road (gratefully, the toll booths have been removed), but it was designated as I 95, part of the Interstate System. Why would NCDOT feel any need to make it a country road?
    the standards for an Interstate highway are much higher than for a state road. My guess is this will lat them get it built faster.

I hope they drop those toll road plans, though. Why should southern Wake County and us south of there have to pay a toll
    I'm not sure NC statues allow toll roads. My understanding is that the Governor has to sign off on toll booths and I believe Easley has been against them previously.

Wouldn't the toll booths actually cause traffic congestion - even if they had EZ passes? Seems that would defeat the purpose of building the roads to ease traffic congestion on 40 in and out of the park. But maybe I'm missing something.

I agree with that, although I set my cruise control so I don't have to worry about flashing blue lights.
    Sorry,Oz. I wasn't very clear. I worry about flashing blue lights in front of me, not behind. I avoid getting the ones from behind by setting my cruise within a few MPH of the speed limit, as you do. When I see those lights in front of me, off goes the cruise control just in case.

Sorry,Oz. I wasn't very clear. I worry about flashing blue lights in front of me, not behind. I avoid getting the ones from behind by setting my cruise within a few MPH of the speed limit, as you do. When I see those lights in front of me, off goes the cruise control just in case.
    If the blue lights are in front of you, be sure to follow the "move over" law, or if you can't, as you already do, slow down to avoid a ticket. Amazing how many law officers and motorists are hit by passing traffic. And the new law is really being enforced (a word to the wise for you out-of-staters who occasionally travel to NC.)

And thanks to Indoor and jk for the states covered by the Easy Pass and Sun Pass. I beleive that at Hilton Head they called theirs a "Sun Pass" also - anyone know if they are one and the same? Now, if we can only get them to combine...

9F 9F 9F

If the blue lights are in front of you, be sure to follow the "move over" law, or if you can't, as you already do, slow down to avoid a ticket. Amazing how many law officers and motorists are hit by passing traffic. And the new law is really being enforced (a word to the wise for you out-of-staters who occasionally travel to NC.)

And thanks to Indoor and jk for the states covered by the Easy Pass and Sun Pass. I beleive that at Hilton Head they called theirs a "Sun Pass" also - anyone know if they are one and the same? Now, if we can only get them to combine...
    Does the "move over law" require the slow drivers of NC move out of the left lane? About time.

That left lane driving always makes me crazy. It was always common in NC. I used to see Drive Ed cars in the left lane moving under the speed limit - actually teaching the practice! Glad they made it illegal - if that is the effect of the law you describe.

Unhappy They're coming

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post

I'm not sure NC statues allow toll roads. My understanding is that the Governor has to sign off on toll booths and I believe Easley has been against them previously.
    It's 'gonna take forever to build, but our illustrious state legislature voted and passed a bill allowing for a NC Turnpike running east-west. Easley signed off on it

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    It's 'gonna take forever to build, but our illustrious state legislature voted and passed a bill allowing for a NC Turnpike running east-west. Easley signed off on it
    Any proposed routes other than the obvious Wilmington to Raleigh to Durham to Triad to Charlotte to Ashville? Maybe a southern route? - SC border...?

It only applies to emergency vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Does the "move over law" require the slow drivers of NC move out of the left lane? About time.

That left lane driving always makes me crazy. It was always common in NC. I used to see Drive Ed cars in the left lane moving under the speed limit - actually teaching the practice! Glad they made it illegal - if that is the effect of the law you describe.
    Common courtesy should force drivers to move over for any vehicle on the shoulder not just emergency vehicles. Joe Blow can be run over by a passing car just the same as a highway patrolman.

It is completely legal to drive below the posted speed limit in any lane of travel. It is legal to stop on any NC roadway.

Unhappy

Any proposed routes?
    I understand it is to run east/west but that's all I know about routing. It is to be a privately owned endeavor.

I just heard Michael Vick has been charged with his dog problems.

Common courtesy should force drivers to move over for any vehicle on the shoulder not just emergency vehicles. Joe Blow can be run over by a passing car just the same as a highway patrolman.

It is completely legal to drive below the posted speed limit in any lane of travel. It is legal to stop on any NC roadway.
    Why is slow legal? I am not a scientist (as many here will agree), but I was taught that the main cause of and killer in accidents is speed differential. Slow drivers can be as hazardous on high speed highways as speeders. Slow drivers in the left/passing are, IMO, extremly hazardous to all drivers on the road.

Why is slow legal? I am not a scientist (as many here will agree), but I was taught that the main cause of and killer in accidents is speed differential. Slow drivers can be as hazardous on high speed highways as speeders. Slow drivers in the left/passing are, IMO, extremly hazardous to all drivers on the road.
    You are correct sir. But everybody driving the same speed on the same piece of road makes too much sense. Ask the good people of Texas why they have so many different limits for different vehicles at different times of day.

At times I will drive at or below limit in "other than right lane" just to avoid entanglement with merging and exiting traffic, but if I ever do I always leave others around me a way around me.

Wrong. Every state's traffic laws I've looked make it illegal to drive at a speed that is so slow it creates a traffic hazard or impedes the normal safe flow of traffic.

It is most certainly illegal to stop at the exit from a blind 90-degree curve, for example, unless you are doing so to avoid an accident.