Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    ... Certainly, Coach P understands the importance of targeted coaching guidance and game management. No coach will be perfect in both these areas all of the time. ...I don't think any of us are close enough to the program to get specific on the offensive or defensive sets/plays that define this or our earlier teams. I do know that we have recruited good kids and good players. We are young this year. Coaches have to coach...kids have to play.
    You say Coach P certainly understands targeted coaching guidance and game management. Some of us, and I specifically include Tieguy who sat with me in Palo Alto two years ago, would be more willing to believe that if we saw a targeted play. We sat through all of that game and never saw a player set a screen; I looked last year, and rarely saw a screen be set. What is it about screens that P doesn't like? When facing a good defense, screens will almost always, when well-executed, free up someone, the driver, the screener, another cutter...someone.

And it doesn't have to be a pick and roll; it could be anything that's pre-planned. I'm just choosing that example since it's so basic. After all, basic plays work. That one's been around since before Iba. All the Duke players did it in high school; it's not foreign to them. I'm sorry I couldn't watch this game, because I'm certain that Muffet McGraw called a few during the ND comeback and I could have pointed them out. ND was cold in the first half, scoring only 18 points themselves. What do you think McGraw was telling her team at half-time and during timeouts? I believe she was providing ways to exploit the Duke defense, seeking an easy bucket. Can we really be sure P did the same in the second half as the tables got turned?

If you or anyone else was there, maybe you or that someone can tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    You say Coach P certainly understands targeted coaching guidance and game management. Some of us, and I specifically include Tieguy who sat with me in Palo Alto two years ago, would be more willing to believe that if we saw a targeted play. We sat through all of that game and never saw a player set a screen; I looked last year, and rarely saw a screen be set. What is it about screens that P doesn't like? When facing a good defense, screens will almost always, when well-executed, free up someone, the driver, the screener, another cutter...someone.

And it doesn't have to be a pick and roll; it could be anything that's pre-planned. I'm just choosing that example since it's so basic. After all, basic plays work. That one's been around since before Iba. All the Duke players did it in high school; it's not foreign to them. I'm sorry I couldn't watch this game, because I'm certain that Muffet McGraw called a few during the ND comeback and I could have pointed them out. ND was cold in the first half, scoring only 18 points themselves. What do you think McGraw was telling her team at half-time and during timeouts? I believe she was providing ways to exploit the Duke defense, seeking an easy bucket. Can we really be sure P did the same in the second half as the tables got turned?

If you or anyone else was there, maybe you or that someone can tell us.
    Interesting. Guess we are seeing different games. I've seen them play dozens of games...screens are set in every game. Right, pretty basic. I'm not going to post anything else on this subject. Pretty sure we are not on the same page. Thanks for your perspective.

Offense

The issue with a few of Coach P's last teams has been the fact that they've really only had one go to option, not only in the last minute, but also the entire game. For the past two seasons, Jas was the only person who could score at a reliable rate, and even then, she forced a lot of shots because she felt that pressure, which admittedly added to the teams offensive woes. Before that, Chante Black was the only real reliable scorer, Abby fell apart and the rest of the squad just didn't have that killer offensive instinct.

Coach P's MO is that she is able to switch defenses on a dime and have her team run those defenses well. While this is tremendously helpful, she does it too often and doesn't really stick with the one that is working all the time. I hope that this will change this season as the team is so young, sticking with one maybe two defenses as opposed to 4 or 5 should be helpful.

This year will be the first year for probably the next three that Duke has a legitimate chance to win it all. The sophomore class is phenomenal as we all know and the two freshman bigs are extraordinary (even Amber Henson on 1 leg is better than most bigs in the country; I doubt she will be back to her full self until next season). We now have both dependable scoring guards in Chelsea Gray and the like, scoring minded wings like Hailey Peters, and a Center who, quite frankly, cannot be stopped in Elizabeth Williams. If Liz gets the ball enough, which is a big question, we'll be very difficult to beat for anyone. One major difference in the men's and women's games is that there are not bigs who demand the ball in nearly as many leagues and therefore, guards do not have the pre-disposition to get the ball in the post. If Liz can demand the rock and get more shots than everyone else, we have a definite chance of winning the NC. The more she gets the ball, the better she's going to get at passing out of double and triple teams (which she will end up demanding if she gets the ball) and our shooters and bomb away. If you can't tell, I think Liz is the best thing since sliced bread, and will be, barring injury, the best Big dwb has ever had (I know, maybe a little early). Give Shay the rock too!!

Certainly hope you're right, DukeHky; missing 14 consecutive shots against ND does not fill me with hope, though. I guess we'll know more at the end of January.

DWHoops' observations:

While the loss certainly is a painful one for Duke, it did show that they could hang with one of the best teams in the nation. The eight player rotation used by coach McCallie was extremely effective on defense, but 5-26 shooting in the second half was painful - even more painful considering that there were twelve layups missed in that period. It should be a good learning experience for a young team, and Duke will have a long flight home and several days to regroup before back-to-back home contests against Purdue and Pittsburgh.
    All in all, a big "ouch!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    DWHoops' observations:

All in all, a big "ouch!"
    I didn't see the game, but if they missed 12 layups down the stretch, that doesn't say to me the coach's offensive system is flawed. Other than maybe she has to better teach her team how to shoot layups.

And, yes, I realize shooting layups has been a problem for this team for some years. What I'm saying is if a possession ends in a layup attempt that usually means the offense got a good shot. 17 out of 26 shots down the stretch were either makes and/or layup attempts. What else can we hope for in a coach's offensive system?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I didn't see the game, but if they missed 12 layups down the stretch, that doesn't say to me the coach's offensive system is flawed. Other than maybe she has to better teach her team how to shoot layups.

And, yes, I realize shooting layups has been a problem for this team for some years. What I'm saying is if a possession ends in a layup attempt that usually means the offense got a good shot. 17 out of 26 shots down the stretch were either makes and/or layup attempts. What else can we hope for in a coach's offensive system?
    For disclosure, I'm a casual fan of women's hoops, and didn't see the ND--Duke game.

However, seems to me that Duke now has a nucleus of outstanding talent in the freshman and sophomore classes (along with some upperclass players) to play with any team in the country, and if not this year, to eventually win that elusive national championship. Elizabeth Williams is a program changing player, I believe.

I have no idea about the missed layups against ND, because the game wasn't televised. But during Krystal's tenure in the middle, it seemed P's offense encouraged players to take low percentage shots if they thought they would get near the rim. The plan was for Krystal and any other big, to put the expected miss back--popcorn style. This results in many more missed layups than are planned as a real layup.

Interesting concept, to be sure, but not an efficient offensive scheme.