Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
That's true. That's been part of the recruiting strategy. Except that Singler, Kyrie, and Austin were all top-5 recruits. And Coach has gone hard after other top-5 recruits like Harrison Barnes, John Wall, Greg Monroe, and Kevin Love.
I HIGHLY doubt anybody on the staff reads Scout.com and thinks "Wow, Kyrie Irving is shooting up in the rankings, let's go after him! Forget that Knight kid!" I believe it goes the other way around. On top of that, I am sure the staff wasn't reading the site in 2005 and thinking "You know, that Lance Thomas kid will probably be a great contributor as a senior on a national championship team, so we should DEFINITELY go after him harder than that Darrell Arthur kid, who will probably end up leaving early anyway." I would like to think the process is a little more subtle and complex than that.

Give the staff some credit, they have slightly more access to information than we do, and they hopefully don't have wild mood swings about who to recruit based on little changes in the rankings.

EDIT: To come back on topic, Ryan Kelly is awesome, and I was more excited about his commitment in 2008 than I was about Mason's (and not just because of their respective rankings).