Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Wrong statistic - per minute is misleading since it doesn't property describe the opportunities for rebounds each player had. Here's the statistics I'm talking about:
    Zoubek Senior Year:
    Defensive Rebound %: 24.4%
    Offensive Rebound %: 21.6%

Miles Plumlee Jr. Year:
    ORebound %: 13.3%
    DRebound %: 17.8%

Miles so far this year:
    ORebound %: 20.5%
    DRebound %: 21.2%

Offensive Boarding rates above 20% are INSANE. If he could keep it up it'd be huge, assuming he could stay on the floor.
    Yes, it's the wrong statistic. However, I don't think Zoubek's 2009-2010 team played at a higher tempo (or gave up a higher opponents' FG%) than the 2011-2012 team. If anything, I'd say that Zoubek's per-40 would be UNDERestimating his rebound rate relative to Miles, not overestimating. So the difference in per-40 and % rates is due to some other factor. In this case, the difference is due to full-season versus first-five-game sampling.

You're referencing Zoubek's full-season senior year rebound %. Kedsy was referencing Zoubek's first five game rebound rates (which were MUCH higher than his rebound rate for the season). I'd imagine that Zoubek's rebound percentages in those first five games of 2009-2010 were much much higher than the 24.4% OReb and 21.6% DReb. Of course, the key distinction is that we played teams that were much worse in our first five games in 2009-2010 than we have so far this year (UNC-G, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Radford, ASU). So the numbers are skewed.

I do agree that the rebound rates for Miles have been pretty close to Zoubek's rates for the season. Not quite as good, but still really good. And Zoubek's rates were, as you said, insane.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    My buddy and I used to have a running in game bet... he took times that Casey fell on the floor and I took fouls committed. It was pretty much a 50/50 split. Casey had no balance and very little feel for the game.

Miles is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where Casey Sanders ever was.

For his career, Casey played 1384 minutes and started 34 games in 4 seasons. He averaged 2.7pts, 2.5 rbs and 1.0 blocks per game. He was a career 52%FT shooter. In his best season... his last, he averaged 4pts and 5rbs per game. He committed 238 fouls in his career and DQ'd 8 times. He committed 85 TOs. He scored a total of 336pts (0.24ppm played)

For his career, Miles has played 1535 minutes and started 44 games in just over 3 seasons. He has averaged 4.3pts, 4.2rbs, and 0.5 blocks per game. In his best completed season, he averaged 5pts and 5rbs per game. He is currently averaging 7pts and 6rbs this season. He has committed 238 fouls thus far and DQ'd 5 times. He has committed 106 TOs. He has scored a total of 459 points (0.3ppm played).

Not only are their games not similar, minus a few bobbled balls, but the stats seem to bear out that Miles, only through his Junior year, is a much larger contributor than Casey ever was. Furthermore, I really don't think it can be understated just how terrible Casey's hands were. Remember... he was getting feeds from JWill and Duhon! Miles has played roughly eight games of his entire career with a true PG who could penetrate the lane and drop easy feeds to post-guys. Casey would lose balls out of bounds when three guys had collapsed onto JWill and were watching from the front row on the baseline. His hands were made of a non-maleable substance that made me wonder if he could hold a pencil to write.
    I read all of those stats you quote (thank you for compiling, by the way), and it only serves to gainsay your point-- those stats only convince me all the more that Miles is the modern version of Casey-- their production/minute played is REMARKABLY similar... yes, I'll readily admit that Miles is a more physically developed athlete now than Casey, and that Miles is somewhat better overall (and certainly should end up with better career total numbers, given that he still has 3/4 of a season to go), but the numbers in essence are very similar...

I added the things about body build and athleticism to help build the overall case (while also emphasizing something positive, as both of these players are/were highly gifted with size and athleticism), because I didn't want to post something that just said "MP1 hands= CS hands", since that would be perceived (on this board) as being too negative about someone who gives everything he's got to Duke's current team-- but really, that is the central point I was making... I think Jimmy Dykes' forecast for MP1 is of doubtful provenance, and all for this one reason.