Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yeah, a lot of these comparisons seem WAY off to me. Murph (an inside/outside SF/PF) and Tamon (a banging physical big)?
    To be fair to the OP, he compared Miles Plumlee (not Alex Murphy) to Taymon Domzalski. I'm still not crazy about the comparison (nor about the Seth/Marty Clark comparison; nor do I think Mason reminds of McRoberts; and Andre is nothing like Ricky Price), but it's better than you've given him credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Devil View Post
    My thought exactly.

And I would add that Seth is more like Duhon than Scheyer...

Grey Devil
    Really? Duhon couldn't shoot particularly, but was an incredible on the ball defender (spoiled us, really) and got lots of assists. Seth is not a bad on the ball defender, but is really sneaky when defending off the ball and can shoot the lights out on offense. Duhon was a defense and pass first guard who always struggled to score for himself. Seth can score for himself all day long and is learning how to be a good defender and passer. He is also a shooting guard who is learning to play point while Duhon was always wired to be a pass-first point guard. Scheyer and Curry aren't perfectly analogous, for sure, but I see far more similarities between Scheyer and Curry than Duhon and Curry.

Seeing as Marshall hasn't played yet, I see his closest comparison being Scheyer. This being based completely on facial expressions.

... Murph (an inside/outside SF/PF) and Tamon (a banging physical big)? ...
    OK, Nick Horvath can play Murphy in "Duke Basketball 2011-2012: The Movie" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    To be fair to the OP, he compared Miles Plumlee (not Alex Murphy) to Taymon Domzalski. ... and Andre is nothing like Ricky Price),...
    I believe the original poster compare Miles to Casey.

As explained above, the Andre/RPrice comparison is one of unfulfilled (to date, for Andre, still hoping) potential for a wing player. I saw the flashes with RPrice that sophomore year ... and thought we had a *superstar* ... get the same feeling about Andre, and hope he does it. That's the main point of comparison, and the fact they are a 6-6, 190 G/F and a 6-4, 200 G ... although Ricky's game of course more driving (90 made 3's, 292 made 2's) while Andre is a jump shooter (111 made 3's, 60 made 2's).

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I believe the original poster compare Miles to Casey.
    Yes, I suppose it depends on how "O" we're talking about. The poster who Lord Ash was responding to compared Miles to Taymon, and Lord Ash incorrectly thought he said Murphy instead of Miles. I was attempting to correct the misconception.

Man

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    OK, Nick Horvath can play Murphy in "Duke Basketball 2011-2012: The Movie" ...
    If Murphy is as good as Nick was in the summer pickup games, we'll be unstoppable.

The Murph/Taymon comparison came later, around post 7. There were just a number of them scattered amongst all the posts that really struck me as way off.

The Murph/Taymon comparison came later, around post 7. There were just a number of them scattered amongst all the posts that really struck me as way off.
    Ah, I see it now. Actually it came earlier. I thought you were responding to post 17, where someone compared Miles to Taymon. I apologize for doubting your reading acumen.

I never thought about it. I guess that is because I don't see anything that reminds me of Casey in MP1's game. Casey was longer and had more straight line speed. He also had hands that weren't like stone, but reminded me of two bricks attached to the end of his arms. Milles is quicker. More fundamentally sound on the offensive end. Bad hands, but a better athlete. Much stronger. I just wish we had a Carlos Boozer to come back and play for the Devils like we did for the NCAA in '01. Keep up the good work Miles! Great effort against the Vols. All the hard work combined with that intensity is going to pay off.

There is absolutely no comparison between Casey Sanders and Miles Plumlee. Casey Sanders was somewhat useful for a one month stretch during his Duke career... no offense intended, but them's the facts. Miles Plumlee has been increasing his effectiveness and game for the past 3 years and has seen minutes and starts that Sanders didn't even sniff. For anyone who thinks that their games are similar, I would urge you to try to find some games from the 2000-2001 season before the ACC and NCAA tourneys, and look at Casey in game settings... that film should take you roughly 10 minutes to watch.

Please.
    WWJDD?

Don't think Miles is quite as bad as Casey, but he does have hand problems. I always felt sorry for Casey; to have a great
    athletic body like that and terrible hands must have been incredibly frustrating. He and Willie Hodge were both like that,
    and I always felt for both of them. They both tried so hard, but simply couldn't hang on to the ball. It was sad to watch both.

my faulty memory?

Although I don't disagree that Casey had bad hands, my recollection [including abundant and painful memory-visuals] is that Casey's footwork was (a) worse than his hands, and (b) worse than Miles's footwork.

I, too, felt sort of sorry for Casey, especially when he'd get his legs tied up, pretzel-style, trying to figure out which was his pivot foot. He had bad balance, because he didn't intuitively know which was his pivot foot.

IMO, Miles has bad instincts more than bad hands or footwork, but the result is the same: inconsistent play, impressive one play, dismaying the next.

Anyone else recall Casey's pretzel-feet issues? My memory visuals seem pretty solid, but it was 10-12 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Although I don't disagree that Casey had bad hands, my recollection [including abundant and painful memory-visuals] is that Casey's footwork was (a) worse than his hands, and (b) worse than Miles's footwork.

I, too, felt sort of sorry for Casey, especially when he'd get his legs tied up, pretzel-style, trying to figure out which was his pivot foot. He had bad balance, because he didn't intuitively know which was his pivot foot.

IMO, Miles has bad instincts more than bad hands or footwork, but the result is the same: inconsistent play, impressive one play, dismaying the next.

Anyone else recall Casey's pretzel-feet issues? My memory visuals seem pretty solid, but it was 10-12 years ago...
    My buddy and I used to have a running in game bet... he took times that Casey fell on the floor and I took fouls committed. It was pretty much a 50/50 split. Casey had no balance and very little feel for the game.

Miles is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where Casey Sanders ever was.

For his career, Casey played 1384 minutes and started 34 games in 4 seasons. He averaged 2.7pts, 2.5 rbs and 1.0 blocks per game. He was a career 52%FT shooter. In his best season... his last, he averaged 4pts and 5rbs per game. He committed 238 fouls in his career and DQ'd 8 times. He committed 85 TOs. He scored a total of 336pts (0.24ppm played)

For his career, Miles has played 1535 minutes and started 44 games in just over 3 seasons. He has averaged 4.3pts, 4.2rbs, and 0.5 blocks per game. In his best completed season, he averaged 5pts and 5rbs per game. He is currently averaging 7pts and 6rbs this season. He has committed 238 fouls thus far and DQ'd 5 times. He has committed 106 TOs. He has scored a total of 459 points (0.3ppm played).

Not only are their games not similar, minus a few bobbled balls, but the stats seem to bear out that Miles, only through his Junior year, is a much larger contributor than Casey ever was. Furthermore, I really don't think it can be understated just how terrible Casey's hands were. Remember... he was getting feeds from JWill and Duhon! Miles has played roughly eight games of his entire career with a true PG who could penetrate the lane and drop easy feeds to post-guys. Casey would lose balls out of bounds when three guys had collapsed onto JWill and were watching from the front row on the baseline. His hands were made of a non-maleable substance that made me wonder if he could hold a pencil to write.
    WWJDD?

If he keeps up his rebounding rates

A better comparison may be Brian Zoubek.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Really? Duhon couldn't shoot particularly, but was an incredible on the ball defender (spoiled us, really) and got lots of assists. Seth is not a bad on the ball defender, but is really sneaky when defending off the ball and can shoot the lights out on offense. Duhon was a defense and pass first guard who always struggled to score for himself. Seth can score for himself all day long and is learning how to be a good defender and passer. He is also a shooting guard who is learning to play point while Duhon was always wired to be a pass-first point guard. Scheyer and Curry aren't perfectly analogous, for sure, but I see far more similarities between Scheyer and Curry than Duhon and Curry.
    I would equate Curry much more with Ewing than Scheyer. Scheyer's A/T ratio was insane, Ewing on the other hand shared Curry's limitations as a ball handler and a passer. (I do agree that Scheyer is a closer fit than Duhon, but he is still way off the mark.)

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    A better comparison may be Brian Zoubek.
    Junior Year
    ----------
    Brian Zoubek: 12.46 rebounds per 40 minutes; 5.9 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes
    Miles Plumlee: 11.53 rebounds per 40 minutes; 4.9 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes

Senior Year, first five games
    ---------------------------
    Brian Zoubek: 21.33 rebounds per 40 minutes; 11.73 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes
    Miles Plumlee: 14.09 rebounds per 40 minutes; 6.36 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes

So, similar junior years, although Miles was a full offensive rebound worse. And this season Miles is doing better than many posters are giving him credit for, but he's nowhere near Zoubekian rebounding levels. People seem to think Z suddenly sprung into Zouperman, fully grown, at the Maryland game in mid-February, but really he'd been doing it all season. He just hadn't gotten as many minutes before he joined the starting lineup. Miles has a long way to go before his rates approach Z's.

So, similar junior years, although Miles was a full offensive rebound worse. And this season Miles is doing better than many posters are giving him credit for, but he's nowhere near Zoubekian rebounding levels. People seem to think Z suddenly sprung into Zouperman, fully grown, at the Maryland game in mid-February, but really he'd been doing it all season. He just hadn't gotten as many minutes before he joined the starting lineup. Miles has a long way to go before his rates approach Z's.
    Yup. The big difference for Zoubek was that he stopped fouling as much. I'm not sure what caused that, but that was the key. He was able to stay on the floor for more minutes, and that resulted in bigger numbers.

Junior Year
    ----------
    Brian Zoubek: 12.46 rebounds per 40 minutes; 5.9 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes
    Miles Plumlee: 11.53 rebounds per 40 minutes; 4.9 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes

Senior Year, first five games
    ---------------------------
    Brian Zoubek: 21.33 rebounds per 40 minutes; 11.73 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes
    Miles Plumlee: 14.09 rebounds per 40 minutes; 6.36 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes

Wrong statistic - per minute is misleading since it doesn't property describe the opportunities for rebounds each player had. Here's the statistics I'm talking about:
    Zoubek Senior Year:
    Defensive Rebound %: 24.4%
    Offensive Rebound %: 21.6%

Miles Plumlee Jr. Year:
    ORebound %: 13.3%
    DRebound %: 17.8%

Miles so far this year:
    ORebound %: 20.5%
    DRebound %: 21.2%

Offensive Boarding rates above 20% are INSANE. If he could keep it up it'd be huge, assuming he could stay on the floor.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yup. The big difference for Zoubek was that he stopped fouling as much. I'm not sure what caused that, but that was the key. He was able to stay on the floor for more minutes, and that resulted in bigger numbers.
    Zoubs stopped fouling because his feet and legs were finally healthy enough to move his feet instead of having to reach to stay with his man. That, and the "light went on" and he "got" the defense. Watching Zoubs and Lance from mid January 2010 on play our help defense in the lane was like watching a choreographed ballet; a true thing of beauty!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com