Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, after Austin makes a few stupid plays while trying to be acrobatic and getting to the rim when it wasn't there, he nails two tough threes. Gotta give him credit for the guts! But man, his form doesn't look silky smooth like Dawkins, but at least it gets the job done by and large. I've enjoyed watching this game thus far despite the sloppy play and terrible D honestly, haha. I think Miles has really asserted himself actually, playing physical and keeping a lot of balls alive with some nice rebounds.

Not a very well played first half from us. Thankfully, we've opened up a bit of a lead.

A nice last 1:30 of the half. Hopefully we can build off that.

Rivers made some bad decisions in the first half. He definitely still hasn't figured out the best thing to do once he gets into the lane. The results were a little better than his decisionmaking would suggest (those 3s especially), so I'll take it.

I'm glad that Austin is skilled and confident, but I'm getting an unsettling feeling about his shoot-first, shoot-second and shoot-third mentality. He's in Kobe mode, and I don't know whether that's a good thing.

Which is worse: Plumlee FT shooting or Tennessee 3-pt shooting?

I'm just happy to have a lead at the half!

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    I'm glad that Austin is skilled and confident, but I'm getting an unsettling feeling about his shoot-first, shoot-second and shoot-third mentality. He's in Kobe mode, and I don't know whether that's a good thing.
    Yeah, he's had quite a few more instances where he's missed a chance to pass for a bucket. He did have the one really nice alley-oop to Mason. But for the most part, I haven't been impressed with his decisionmaking.

The ability is clearly there. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. When it does click, he's going to be amazing. He's already pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Trick question.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, he's had quite a few more instances where he's missed a chance to pass for a bucket. He did have the one really nice alley-oop to Mason. But for the most part, I haven't been impressed with his decisionmaking.

The ability is clearly there. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. When it does click, he's going to be amazing. He's already pretty good.
    I also think this is a combination of him being a hyped freshman AND the only player on the floor that can drive to the basket.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Agreed. I guess it can't be easy to go from being The Man (by necessity, much of the time) to analyzing the big picture on every possession. He may be the only member of the team who has to struggle with that, since there are no dominant players left over who he would have to defer to. Everybody else, no matter how dominant they were in high school, always had Nolan and Kyle in front of them as the alpha dogs. Kyrie, to a lesser extent than Austin, had to deal with it, because his talent was clearly on par (at least) with Kyle and Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I also think this is a combination of him being a hyped freshman AND the only player on the floor that can drive to the basket.
    I'm sure the first statement is part of it. The second part really shouldn't be. It's a reason he's driving more - it's not a reason for making bad decisions after driving.

I think another big part of it is that he's not used to the size/athleticism of college frontcourts, and he's not used to the quality of help defense of college frontcourts.

Where do they get these clowns to announce the game? One would think they should have done their homework. Several times they have referred to Miles and Mason as the Plumlee twins. Also they keep calling Austin "Doc". He might get there someday, but not today.

While not necessary driving to the hoop, Curry has a really nice pump fake and then dribble past the airborne defender and taking the 12-foot jumper. I feel like he can take advantage of this more often, but I guess his opponents know this move and are careful to prevent it. Quinn has actually shown attempts to get to the rim some this game. I like what I've seen from Quinn. Haven't really seen many post moves from Kelly like we saw from him in China, which has been a bit surprising. I'd also like to see Andre try to get to the rack more - seems like he does it in exhibitions/practice, but during games he's basically been catch and shoot. I guess as long as he's moving when he doesn't have the ball, that's certainly productive, but I really think Andre has more ability to get open looks. His handles aren't the greatest but he often has a speed advantage over his taller defender at the 3. Overall, we're certainly lucky to be up 6 and we closed out the half well. This team is going to be frustrating at times, and really exciting other times (probably like Rivers will be personally). I think it's going to be really fun to watch the growth of this team over the season. The potential is there, but it's young inexperienced talent.

I don't think his decision making has been that poor, unless he has decided to miss layups.
    Edit: of course he takes a three with a guy in his face to start the second half
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I know Rivers' shot isn't as pretty as Dawkins but I don't get all this criticisms about his shot. Yes, he has a bit of a chicken wing that he will have to work out but I thought Scheyer taught us its not about the perfect shot but perfecting your own shot. Michael Redd is one of the best shooters yet his shot almost seems like he is throwing it at times. Dykes just seems to love to harp on his shot. And I don't really think they were ill advised shots, the first one he froze the defender and shot in rhythm, the second one was more of a heat check but you get that once you make one.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I don't think his decision making has been that poor, unless he has decided to miss layups.
    The decision to force layups/runners rather than dropping it off to open teammates and the three long 3pt attempts (though two happened to go in) were bad decisions.

I wouldn't complain about missing uncontested layups. But those aren't the ones he's missing.

To be fair, I realize I'm asking a lot. It's not easy to recognize the open man off the dribble. But that's the thing keeping him from being very good and dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Taking off-balance one-handed shots that don't even draw the rim? Bad decisions. Taking a contested floater on a 1-on-4 break? Bad decision.

Bigger picture...we've had a chance to hold for the last shot of the first half against MSU, Davidson, and Tennessee. After a Rivers turnover that led to short jumper on the other end (MSU), a Rivers turnover that led to 2 made free throws on the other end (Davidson), and a missed Rivers jumper (TN), we have turned those three possessions in to -4 points.

Not to rag on him too much (he is a freshman, after all), but his decisionmaking leaves a lot to be desired.

Well, I don't like to complain about refs, but how the heck was that a foul?! Nobody even touched him. Andre was two feet behind him. Crazy. We need to pick up the intensity - right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, I don't like to complain about refs, but how the heck was that a foul?! Nobody even touched him. Andre was two feet behind him with his hands at his sides. Crazy. We need to pick up the intensity - right now.
    They missed that one badly. It happens, unfortunately. Thankfully it didn't hurt too too bad (definitely stinks to get the additional foul though).

Austin is trying to do too much. He needs to realize that there are four other capable guys out there with him.

Good defense from Thornton and Dawkins there.