Oklahoma State Women's Coaches Killed in Plane Crash

Awful news. Another airplane tragedy for the Oklahoma State Basketball program.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/18...s-plane-crash/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This is very sad. The Duke women played them last year at their place. 10 years ago the same school lost 10 folks with the men's program in a crash.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A terrible event, very sad for the program as well as, of course, the families and friends of those who died.

I'm old enough to be suspicious of claims that we should set hard and fast rules on how old is "too old" to do certain things. But I don't think I would get into a small plane piloted by an 82-year-old. (On the other hand, I would try pretty hard to avoid getting into a small plane piloted by anyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    A terrible event, very sad for the program as well as, of course, the families and friends of those who died.

I'm old enough to be suspicious of claims that we should set hard and fast rules on how old is "too old" to do certain things. But I don't think I would get into a small plane piloted by an 82-year-old. (On the other hand, I would try pretty hard to avoid getting into a small plane piloted by anyone.)
    i'm not riding in a car with a 82 year old driving....a plane ???....forget about it...

Incredibly sad. Thoughts and prayers to the families and all those impacted.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Ageism

I'm not sure about the 82 year old pilot, but the 48 year old plane is where I'd draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    I'm not sure about the 82 year old pilot, but the 48 year old plane is where I'd draw the line.
    Both are an issues of maintenance. The military files 48 year old helicopters all the time (see the Jolly Green Giants from Vietnam era). That said, they maintain them very carefully. I imagine we all have met a number of 82 year old's we would fly with and a number of 32 year old's we would not. As with all glittering generalities, they are mostly not accurate or fair. (Not picking on anyone in particular!)

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Both are an issues of maintenance. The military files 48 year old helicopters all the time (see the Jolly Green Giants from Vietnam era). That said, they maintain them very carefully. I imagine we all have met a number of 82 year old's we would fly with and a number of 32 year old's we would not. As with all glittering generalities, they are mostly not accurate or fair. (Not picking on anyone in particular!)
    Agree with your point about maintaining equipment, but I've yet to met any 82 year old that I'd feel remotely comfortable with piloting a plane. I'm not generalizing. It's just my experience-so far.

I would also suggest that, unless there's a co-pilot, you're at significantly greater risk with an 82-year-old that a sudden medical event is going to bring down the plane and everyone in it.