Notes from Duke football media conference, 11-15

The GT game Saturday is the final home game for the seniors. Yet, not a single Duke senior met with the media today. Not Daniels, not Varner, not Hatcher.

Seems they were all in the training room, getting treatment. This team is terribly beat up. Cut said Duke had eight regulars out with injury at one point during the Virginia game.

Note that Cut did not raise the injury concerns; he was asked. But it's pretty bad. He did say that's he learned the "guardian angel prayer."Duke did not practice Sunday but did practice today.

He specifically cited Daniels, Vernon and Harding as playing with injuries that would have sidelined lesser mortals. "Guys who aren't committed to it, don't play hurt. Our younger players see that and it pays benefits down the line."

Place-kicking? Cut says Snyderwine is still Duke's best kicker in practice. Cut described his confidence in Snyderwine as "about the same as Will's, shattered. He's still a gifted kicker but he has to show it."

Renfree? Cut said that Duke is "challenging him to come out of his shell and stick his neck out." I suspect we have some professional psychologists here--I know we have some amateur ones--but it seems that Sean is so concerned with not letting down his teammates, not letting down his coaches, not letting down the fans, that he can become overly analytical, overly cautious.

Cut calls Duke a good football team with a bad record. Says there's plenty of energy and enthusiasm for the final two games. Cited a Tennessee team (1988) that started 0-6 but finished 5-6 and set the stage for a big season in 1989.

GT? Duke hasn't played against an option team this season, so that's a concern. Duke has tried to get in some work against the option at various times this season, including the bye week. Duke did have some success defending GT last season, so there's some confidence. Lots of technique and discipline involved. Lose your assignment and they get big gains. Getting GT into third-and-long is the key. Easier said then done.

Some personnel notes. Ryan Hall and Kevin Rojas will graduate in three years and get on with the rest of their lives.

Redshirt junior Paul Asack will not be back next season.

Along with the obvious people, like Renfree, redshirt juniors Curtis Hazelton, Connor Irwin, Jackson Anderson, Jordon Byas, Tony Foster and Patrick Kurunwune are expected to return next season. Duke expects to get fifth year for Lee Butler.

20 seniors introduced Saturday but only six (Daniels, Hatcher, Varner, Helfet, Hill [recuperating from injury) and Synderwine are key losses. Johnny Williams and Jay Hollingsworth deserve honorable mention. But it's a young team.

Thanks as always, Jim.

If ever there was a group that deserved the good breaks to fall their way, it's this team. Good luck, fight hard, represent well!

Thanks for the update Jim.

Wow I'm kind of stunned Cutcliffe would say that about Snyderwine no matter how truthful it may be. It is freshing not to hear typical coach speak though on the subject.

Hate to hear the news about all the injuries especially on the defensive line. GT's cut/chop blocking scheme usually takes its toll on the defensive line of its opponents but I'm sure Duke will deal with that adversity like they've dealt with all the adversity they've faced this season. I hope Cut is right that this is a good team with a bad record. I want to believe that but I guess we will see over the course of the next two games and into next season. I'm holding out hope for a good season next year and a strong season this year.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke has tried to get in some work against the option at various times this season, including the bye week.
    I hope it pays off because that extra week of practice sure didn't help against Florida State.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Let's Go Duke! Finish strong. We have played well in the past against GT and the option offense. Here's to finishing the season on a strong note. I'll be watching. Good Luck Duke Gang.

I feel so bad for the seniors, it bereaks my heart.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide