Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Presbyterian Pregame and In Game Thread

Ray Horn looked at what video he could find about Presbyterian and has a few interesting tidbits about their team.

Close game last night as expected. That Belmont team is a lot better than people were giving them credit for. This game should more resemble a true warmup game for Duke.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/11/...rian-11-12-11/

PC finished 8th in the Big South last year, and returns junior Khalid Mutakabbir, who led the Blue Hose in scoring last year with 13.5 a game, and senior forward Al'Lonzo Coleman, who finished just behind with 13.3 a game and added 7.6 rebounds per.

Honestly, I was going to do a little more research on this team, but there's just not much to see here. They finished 263rd in the Pomeroy rankings last year and they're coming off a 103-73 win over Montreat in their opening game. This is a team whose signature win last year was a 2-point squeaker over Wake Forest.

Even with the short turnaround, I think we probably win by 15-20 at least. Mutakabbir and Coleman have the potential to drop some points on us, but they don't have much firepower other than that.

Does Tyler Thornton move into the starting line-up today? I believe he earned it with his performance last night.
    Bob Green

Smile Throw out a Blue Hose Supporter

Coach K could try throwing out of the stadium any Blue Hose supporter who dares criticize our team.

Wait: that's been done in the ACC before. How did that work out for the coach concerned?

Parking?

First time poster here, although I have lurked for a few months. Anyways, I'm heading to Durham for my first game at Cameron today and was wondering if any of you had suggestions on where to park for the game. I don't really know anything about the parking situation there, so any advice would be great!

Duke 87
    Bad Guys 61

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Does Tyler Thornton move into the starting line-up today? I believe he earned it with his performance last night.
    I concur. I noted on the MOTM thread that his play was outstanding. Duke just played better on both offense and defense last night when he was in the game. I love his game. He isn't a blow you away guy but he does so many little things well.

Want to see Mason do it two in a row, Miles bounce back from a shaky game, and the bench perform well because they're going to get a lot of minutes in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree 100%. Tyler appears to be our only guard (at this point) that applies pretty decent on the ball pressure.

PG - Thornton
    SG - Curry
    SF - Rivers
    PF - Kelly
    C - MP2

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I agree 100%. Tyler appears to be our only guard (at this point) that applies pretty decent on the ball pressure.

PG - Thornton
    SG - Curry
    SF - Rivers
    PF - Kelly
    C - MP2
    Start Dawkins and MP1 and come out guns blazing with our more athletic lineup against an overmatched team. I would use Thornton and Kelly off the bench to switch up the style of the game.

I respectfully disagree re Thornton's defense. He is disruptive, annoying, and opportunistic (which I love), but guys get past him fairly consistently which is how I judge on-ball defense.

I do agree that Tyler needs to see significant minutes, just wouldn't start him yet. Also, Andre's height is nice.

- Chillin

I think we should go with the same line up from last night. I think we can all agree that Presbyterian is a much less talented team and hopefully guys like Dawkins and MP1 can get going in a game like this.

I'll also be closely watching Austin to see if he starts to force a lot today because he knows that he is playing a lesser opponent. I really liked how he played within himself last night and hope he keeps that going.

Gotta hope Curry gets going from inside the arc. He should.

Mason should have another good game. Don't try to do too much and continue to rebound. Mason continued to stay aggressive in the 2nd half but at times he became too aggressive and that is a balance that he will take some time to figure out.

Should be fun to watch. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post

PG - Thornton
    SG - Curry
    SF - Rivers
    PF - Kelly
    C - MP2
    After one regular season game you have concluded this? I actually thought Austin did a great job with ball pressure last night.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Coach K could try throwing out of the stadium any Blue Hose supporter who dares criticize our team.

Wait: that's been done in the ACC before. How did that work out for the coach concerned?
    Worked out fine as far as I can tell. IIRC the coach was immediately surrounded in the loving arms of the UNC Department of Propaganda, the fan in question was accused of being drunk and disorderly, and the coach is currently enjoying the full and complete support of the UNC fans while leading the number 1 team in the nation. Of course, the UNC fans have recently showed that it takes a heck of a lot more than being a thin skinned jerk to lose their support...as long as you're winning.

As for our game, mainly I'm looking to see how our team handles the psychological challenge of a quick turnaround against a significant underdog after a very close, tightly fought game less than 24 hours ago. Will they be able to come out with focus and energy and play at a high level? Coach K will demand it of them. Today will be a test of maturity and desire. I can't wait to see how the guys respond.

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)

Online?

Is there anywhere to watch this game online today? I just checked espn3.com and it's not there unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueHeart4 View Post
    Is there anywhere to watch this game online today? I just checked espn3.com and it's not there unfortunately.
    You sure? Its on ESPNU, I thought all games on the ESPN family were carried on espn3.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You sure? Its on ESPNU, I thought all games on the ESPN family were carried on espn3.
    I triple checked. lol The only basketball game showing this afternoon is East Tennessee State vs. Virginia Tech at 2.

I'm not ready to throw Tyler in the starting line-up, although I thought he was brilliant last night. I like having that little spark plug come off the bench with his energy. It throws the opposing team off of its established rhythm.

As for the poster that asked about Duke being on ESPN3.com - it is...you just have to change the tab where it says NETWORK - it gives you a drag down list of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN3. You have to click ESPNU and it shows up there.

Hopefully this link helps:
    http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_...channel/espnu/

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I'm not ready to throw Tyler in the starting line-up, although I thought he was brilliant last night. I like having that little spark plug come off the bench with his energy. It throws the opposing team off of its established rhythm.

As for the poster that asked about Duke being on ESPN3.com - it is...you just have to change the tab where it says NETWORK - it gives you a drag down list of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN3. You have to click ESPNU and it shows up there.

Ok, when you click on that link, it still only shows the VT game...but it should be pretty obvious where you click since there are two drag down boxes. Click NETWORK, and you can even select ALL NETWORKS and it will come up there!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post

Thanks so much!

I just noticed that ESPNU, in my area, now has an HD channel. Way better. (Astound Broadband for me; I suspect that the larger cable companies also have it, now.)