VT Loses Thompson, again

Hokies have lost J.T. Thompson for the season with a torn ACL.

http://www.techsideline.com/news_arc...ticle-6206.php

Tough break, he was sure to provide some senior leadership on a young team.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Wow, kid misses his senior year for the second time. I hope the NCAA grants him an extra year of eligibility. Heck, he could get a Masters by the time he is done at Va Tech.

-Jason "VT figures to be middle of the ACC pack... they need a few breaks" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's the VT press release

"Virginia Tech forward JT Thompson has suffered a grade-3 tear in the anterior cruciate ligament of his right knee and will undergo season-ending surgery. Thompson suffered the injury Wednesday afternoon during practice.

“I’m deeply disappointed for JT,” head coach Seth Greenberg said. “To think of all he has been through, it’s disheartening that bad things happen to good people. Our main focus right now is his health and preparing him for his graduation this December.

“My heart goes out to JT. He has been a model student-athlete, despite all the obstacles that he has faced. He was back to playing at or above the level we had expected of him following last season’s surgery. Now is not the time to discuss a sixth year.”

Thompson, a redshirt senior from Monroe, N.C., missed all of last season following surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. He appeared in all 34 games for the Hokies in the 2009-10 season. One of the top “sixth men” in the ACC that season, he was fourth on the team in scoring, at 7.3 points per game and third on the team in rebounding, at 4.6 rebounds per game. He recorded double figures in scoring nine times as a junior, including a season-high 17 points in the overtime win at Virginia."

Remember, VT lost four players to injuries/illnesses last season. One of their top freshmen--Rankin--is out with an injury. Seth must have profoundly offended the injury gods.

Greenberg told me in Charlotte that Thompson projected as Tech's starting 4. It's terrible when a player misses a season but missing two is just awful.

Hopefully, the NCAA gives him that sixth year. Seems to fall within the guidelines.

Here's to a successful surgery, a full recovery, and another year of eligibility.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Tough break for the kid. Couldn't care less what problems befall Greenberg or VT basketball. Karma.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Hokies

I'm guessing that Raines or Eddie replaces Thompson. They could go bigger and put Raines in that spot for rebounding. If they go with Raines, I'm not sure if Raines or Davilla plays C. If they go small with Eddie, they add a better shooter but a guy who has to prove he can play with some consistency. I like them more with Eddie. That gives them a lineup of Green, Hudson, Eddie, Smith, and Davilla. That would be one of Greenburg's better shotting, athletic teams. I'm not sure how well that undersized team could rebound but the other options aren't as appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I'm guessing that Raines or Eddie replaces Thompson. They could go bigger and put Raines in that spot for rebounding. If they go with Raines, I'm not sure if Raines or Davilla plays C. If they go small with Eddie, they add a better shooter but a guy who has to prove he can play with some consistency. I like them more with Eddie. That gives them a lineup of Green, Hudson, Eddie, Smith, and Davilla. That would be one of Greenburg's better shotting, athletic teams. I'm not sure how well that undersized team could rebound but the other options aren't as appealing to me.
    Why not pair Barksdale and Davila inside? That would be my first option.

Sorry to hear of any injury, hope he has a full recovery and can get another year of eligibility if he wants it.

Haven't even started the season yet and VT is already sliding onto the bubble . . . .

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Why not pair Barksdale and Davila inside? That would be my first option.
    From what I've heard (not much) is that Barksdale looks like a freshman, which is no suprise. And that Raines is struggling with his defense. Eddie sounds like he has improved from last year and is ready for more of a load this year. While Smith is a freshman and somewhat light, I'm hearing that he is a natural rebounder, and he is 6-8. So I would put Smith at the 4, Davila at the 5, and Eddie at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    From what I've heard (not much) is that Barksdale looks like a freshman, which is no suprise. And that Raines is struggling with his defense. Eddie sounds like he has improved from last year and is ready for more of a load this year. While Smith is a freshman and somewhat light, I'm hearing that he is a natural rebounder, and he is 6-8. So I would put Smith at the 4, Davila at the 5, and Eddie at the 3.
    Greenberg told me a few weeks ago that Dorian Finney-Smith could defend any position except the 5 but he wanted to keep on the perimeter to best utilize his talents.

But that was before Thompson was injured.

He also was high on what he had seen from Barksdale. But that was after only a few practices. And we all know how inconsistent freshmen can be.

Minor point. Finney-Smith is the correct surname.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sorry to hear of any injury, hope he has a full recovery and can get another year of eligibility if he wants it.

Haven't even started the season yet and VT is already sliding onto the bubble . . . .
    VA Tech was already on the bubble and this lessens their chances substantially.

Seth's team has had an inordiante amount of injuries.

Hopefully JT Thompson goes thru the rigors another year and is granted the 6th year of eligibility.

if there ever was a time to have a top 12 rated class, this was a good one for VA Tech to have that with Finney-Smith, Barksdale et al.