Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hello defense. We are bringing in our RUNNING QB on this 4th and short situation. Please don't play him to RUN.

Right.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    And...another promising drive ends in 0 points and lots of frustration for players and fans alike thanks to passes completed BEHIND the line of scrimmage and subbing in for Boone so that everyone and their momma knows what's coming. Mind boggling
    I might have just reached the tipping point with Cut. That was inexplicable.

" passes completed BEHIND the line of scrimmage"

We must lead the country in that stat.

It's not all bad. We just completed a pass well beyond the line of scrimmage.

Unfortunately it was to #36 on Miami.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

There's a new wrinkle

Hard
    to
    watch

This is a serious question

Are the coaches unaware that the running quarterback routine is a predicable approach that is resulting in consistent failure?
    GTHC

I think the only thing that has hurt me worse than watching/listening to that game today was when I was in high school and got hit squarely in the jewels with an 80 mph fastball. At least for that one pitch I was wearing a cup. Felt like I should have worn one today too. While I won't be spralled out on a field for the next 20 minutes this game was just ridiculous in every way imaginable and painful. Pathetic in every facet, aside from punting. Not sure what to make out of this game just left with an aching feeling. What was that???
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Fire Roper!

Our offense was missing in action once again. This has become a common theme for the season. Prior to the season starting, I posted in various places that our offense would score enough points to pressure our opponents to respond. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Through nine games, we are averaging 21.8 points per game. Last season, through the first nine games, we averaged 27.5 points per game or 5.7 more points than this year. I have to say it is time to make some changes. First, and foremost, the two QB system must go away. And second, we need a new Offensive Coordinator. Kurt Roper is not getting the job done and if we are serious about rebuilding the football program then he must be fired! Or, at a minimum, relieved of the play calling duties.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    " passes completed BEHIND the line of scrimmage"

We must lead the country in that stat.
    Some say: You have to look beyond the stats, though. We are improving, it's just in ways that cannot be captured by any objective measure.

I say: I hope you're right, because the objective measures don't look very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Our offense was missing in action once again. This has become a common theme for the season. Prior to the season starting, I posted in various places that our offense would score enough points to pressure our opponents to respond. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Through nine games, we are averaging 21.8 points per game. Last season, through the first nine games, we averaged 27.5 points per game or 5.7 more points than this year. I have to say it is time to make some changes. First, and foremost, the two QB system must go away. And second, we need a new Offensive Coordinator. Kurt Roper is not getting the job done and if we are serious about rebuilding the football program then he must be fired! Or, at a minimum, relieved of the play calling duties.
    Gotta agree with you Bob. Our offense causes our defense to be on the field way too long. I know we gave up 49 pts to a decent Miami team, but some of that has to go on the offense. Lack of imagination on offense. GoDuke!

Our offense was missing in action once again. This has become a common theme for the season. Prior to the season starting, I posted in various places that our offense would score enough points to pressure our opponents to respond. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Through nine games, we are averaging 21.8 points per game. Last season, through the first nine games, we averaged 27.5 points per game or 5.7 more points than this year. I have to say it is time to make some changes. First, and foremost, the two QB system must go away. And second, we need a new Offensive Coordinator. Kurt Roper is not getting the job done and if we are serious about rebuilding the football program then he must be fired! or, at a minimum, relieved of the play calling duties.
    I'm not one to adhere to the knee jerk reaction to a loss but in this case I'm starting to agree with you. The offensive play calling has been suspect most of the season. The two quarterback system has caused more false starts and turnovers than it has points and we just don't look like the same offense that Cutcliffe was running his first three years. I also think some hard looks need to be made on the defensive side of the ball because Duke gets zero pressure and the secondary is routinely getting torched. If some serious improvement isn't made over the last three games, and I'm inclinded to believe that it probably won't, I think some changes need to be made. Love coach Cut and his loyalty to his staff, but the bottom line is make improvements or make changes to improve and we are reaching that point where some changes may need to be made.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

And second, we need a new Offensive Coordinator.
    David Cutcliffe was supposedly a pretty good OC at one time.

Unfortunately the whole staff will need to be fired, this year or next. Very sad.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Unfortunately the whole staff will need to be fired, this year or next. Very sad.
    Isn't that what they said at Ole Miss?

1,000 Miles Was Too Close

Sometimes it helps to be 1,000 miles away from the action. The coaches had decided to establish the run against Miami -- a reasonable strategy. But when Miami scored so easily, I was saying to myself here in DC, "We have to get some first downs and give the defense a chance to get its bearings." Nope. We proceeded with our scripted running plays; we had a three-and-out; and Miami drove for another score. Heck, I would have gone for it on fourth down on our first series.

This was also not a good week for the offense to start making dumb penalties that killed nascent drives.

BTW, the defensive holding call in the endzone was total garbage. The zebras looked that they had already decided that Duke couldn't do anything right and was not gonna be reqarded with a positive play.

I give Miami a lot of credit for rebounding from a very poor performance against UVa. It's happened to Duke twice this season (FSU), but you gotta make your own luck.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Isn't that what they said at Ole Miss?
    Big difference between us and Ole Miss - he won games at Ole Miss, but they realized after Manning nothing was in the cupboard. Still surprised they fired him though.

At Duke, he won't be fired, cause we fear the next coach might slap together a couple of 0-12's. Without improved recruiting, 3-9, 4-8 is best we can hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Big difference between us and Ole Miss - he won games at Ole Miss, but they realized after Manning nothing was in the cupboard. Still surprised they fired him though.

At Duke, he won't be fired, cause we fear the next coach might slap together a couple of 0-12's. Without improved recruiting, 3-9, 4-8 is best we can hope for.
    The folks at Ole Miss weren't satisfied with the number of wins and wanted Cut to fire some staff members. He refused and was fired on the Friday before he was to visit Michael Oher for the big recruiting visit on Sunday. I made my comment in response to another poster suggesting that the whole staff be fired this year or next year.

Besides passing sideways the team is heading in that direction no gain and many losses. Losing faith in Cutcliffe. Four years later with better facilities and a losing program.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The folks at Ole Miss weren't satisfied with the number of wins and wanted Cut to fire some staff members. He refused and was fired on the Friday before he was to visit Michael Oher for the big recruiting visit on Sunday. I made my comment in response to another poster suggesting that the whole staff be fired this year or next year.
    You just have to look at the progress at Northwestern, Vandy, UVa, Stanford since Cutcliffe was hired, Cutcliffe's weak nonsensical recruiting efforts, Cut's predictable playcalling, the lack of progress in the Duke Program (notwithstanding his having been given lower academic thesholds in recruiting than Northwestern and Stanford), to get close to the conclusion that Cutcliffe is not the right man to bring Duke Football back.