Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

FB: Miami 49, Duke 14

I know it is still early in the week and I hadn't see anything started on Duke-Miami so I figured I'd get the ball rolling. Apologies to anyone else who may have been contemplating starting it.

To me this is a very winnable game but I have to ask what did Duke do to always end up playing a team coming off a bad loss? Florida State now the Hurricanes. Miami certainly isn't the impossing force they once were and if Duke can get there minds right and execute they could put themselves in position to win. Heck they are 1-0 in Miami this year.

I think the major key is can the offense score points. It is so frustrating for us as fans but I'm sure even more for the kids on the team to drive down the field and then just hit a wall. We've talked about the redzone woes ad nauseum and of course the kicking issues but the one thing that sticks out in my mind is the lack of big plays. I remember there being more of those the last few years and I can't remember too many if any from this year.

I've noticed a greater effort to take shots down field when Renfree has enough time. I think Duke can exploit that using Conner Vernon. I wish they'd run more crossing patterns though because that has always seemed to be their bread and butter the last couple years and they've gone away from it. I'd like to see them use more of Cooper Helfet in the redzone too. He has good size and it seems they'd design some plays with Boone or Renfree to try and utilize his skill set down there. Either way I'll be tuned in and watching and hoping they can put it altogether. The last two weeks have been frustrating so it is time to see them break out this week.

We have been playing better and just need that break-through victory to get us moving. Go get 'em guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I think the major key is can the offense score points. It is so frustrating for us as fans but I'm sure even more for the kids on the team to drive down the field and then just hit a wall. We've talked about the redzone woes ad nauseum and of course the kicking issues but the one thing that sticks out in my mind is the lack of big plays. I remember there being more of those the last few years and I can't remember too many if any from this year.

Here's another major key, G. A bold key, doesn't lend itself to the lyricism of the virtuoso violin but generally a key suited to full orchestral interpretation (Eine kleine Nachtmusik, The Star Spangled Banner originally, Devo's "Whip It"). More seriously, I think what frustrates me most about Duke this year is the one area that just hasn't been present while Duke has had moments of good play in almost every other area, the pass rush. VT's first TD was a direct result of the fact that their QB had EONS of time, you could compose an Unfinished Symphony in less time. That just has to change. What's even more frustrating is that Duke has steadily improved against the run this season, from which would follow a better pass rush, one would think (uh, simplistically). That Duke held VT to 14 points is astonishing and a testament to all the other things that Duke is doing well on defense to compensate because pass defense starts with the ability to pressure the QB. Duke just doesn't have that ability. The question is how you manufacture a pass rush without compromising other aspects of the defense. I fear that Miami will just go dog-nuts wild on Duke for this one deficiency.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 11-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Here's another major key, G. A bold key, doesn't lend itself to the lyricism of the virtuoso violin but generally a key suited to full orchestral interpretation (Eine kleine Nachtmusik, The Star Spangled Banner originally, Devo's "Whip It"). More seriously, I think what frustrates me most about Duke this year is the one area that just hasn't been present while Duke has had moments of good play in almost every other area, the pass rush. VT's first TD was a direct result of the fact that their QB had EONS of time, you could compose an Unfinished Symphony in less time. That just has to change. What's even more frustrating is that Duke has steadily improved against the run this season, from which would follow a better pass rush, one would think (uh, simplistically). That Duke held VT to 14 points is astonishing and a testament to all the other things that Duke is doing well on defense to compensate because pass defense starts with the ability to pressure the QB. Duke just doesn't have that ability. The question is how you manufacture a pass rush without compromising other aspects of the defense. I fear that Miami will just go dog-nuts wild on Duke for this one deficiency.
    You make some good points and as I was sitting at the VT game my brother was commenting on how Duke never seems to get any rush or blitz. I think there are two major issues. First they are beat to hell on the defensive line. Playing lots of kinds under 100 pecent and a lot of young unproven guys. Now that excuse goes but so far but I suspect that you are correct that if they don't get a lot of pressure they could be in trouble. That being said they are playing a Jacory Harris quarterbacked team so there is a chance he could get all crazy and throw two or three picks. It is risk reward with the blitz especially if you are banged up in the secondary too, which they are. But in the event Miami can score Duke has got to score points of their own and not allow the defense to have to do it all because they are gong to break at some point.

I had a two game losing streak on game threads that I started after a win in my first one, so it is good to see someone else start one.

As usual, here are the ACC tv listings for which RSNs will be carrying the game:
    http://www.theacc.com/live/2011-acc-...-at-miami.html

It's time for the offense to get rolling:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/0...urricanes.html

I expect this to be a high scoring game. Duke needs to jump out to an early lead and force the 'Canes to play from behind. This team has played their hearts out and they are overdue for a victory so it sure would be nice if Lady Luck lined up on our side tomorrow.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It's time for the offense to get rolling:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/0...urricanes.html

I expect this to be a high scoring game. Duke needs to jump out to an early lead and force the 'Canes to play from behind. This team has played their hearts out and they are overdue for a victory so it sure would be nice if Lady Luck lined up on our side tomorrow.
    I don't want Lady Luck. I want Touchdown Jesus. With a multitude of appearances. :>))

Nice article in the N&O today about Miami native Donovan Varner and his path through high school to Duke:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/...s-to-duke.html.

Makes it even easier to cheer hard for him.

Which Miami team will show up, the one that consecutively beat UNC and GTor the one that lost to Virginia at home?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Al Golden comment

Here is a nice comment from Miami Coach Al Golden:

“The way Duke is playing right now, they have our attention,” Miami coach Al Golden said. “So it’s going to be quite a challenge for us.”
    The whole article is here:

http://www.accsports.com/wires/20111...-finishes-.php

Linebacker Sean Spence also speaks out:

"Those days of Duke being a pushover, those days are long gone,"
    There has been much discussion on the board in various threads about the offensive struggles this season, particularly in the Red Zone, and with the two QB system. Perhaps, as Duke fans, we should accept that part of the reason our offense has struggled this season is our opponents respect us and are seriously preparing for games against Duke. Where as we might have snuck up on teams in Coach Cutcliffe's first couple of seasons, we are not going to sneak up on a team now or moving forward.

Finally, QB Jacory Harris pays us a compliment as well:

“We’ve got to go 4-0. … And (Duke) is not no easy team. They gave Virginia Tech a run for their money and they’ve been doing good this whole year.”
    Bob Green

Leave it to a Md Alum to explain it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIcuRfxGgg

(Edit to be fair, picking on a former Duke student who has done fairly well for herself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ee7QzZwojMk )
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-04-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Game day. I sure hoped the offense can get untracked today. Target: 30 points to win.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Game day. I sure hoped the offense can get untracked today. Target: 30 points to win.
    Yep offense needs to find a way to score especially if the defense holds up and forces a few turnovers.

You can follow live stats for the Duke/Miami game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=1562

Stat feed should start at kickoff.

Well, off to a typical Duke FB start - easy first drive by the opponent consisting of few plays for big chunks of yardage that ends in a TD. Then, a three-and-out for our offense with 2 procedure penalties peppered in for good measure. And that's in addition to an inexplicably dumb "sideways" pass to the flat on 3rd down that gained about 3 yards out of the 6 that were needed for the first down. I don't care if that pass to the flat was Renfree's tertiary option, I HATE that play!

Great, Daniels just went down hard. This has the makings of an UGLY game for the devils. Why do I have the feeling that this one will be over after the first quarter?

I am so tired of third down passes into the flat resulting in a punt.

Not gonna watch anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Great, Daniels just went down hard. This has the makings of an UGLY game for the devils. Why do I have the feeling that this one will be over after the first quarter?
    Quite a start - two sideways passes on consecutive 3rd down and long (coupled with the infamous bring in the other qb and screw up a down). The defense has nothing left. For the umpteenth time, wait till next year.

New drinking game

Pass to the flat...Take a drink!

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Pass to the flat...Take a drink!
    My liver can't take it