Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Miami Bigger upfront and faster

According to Cut's breakdown of Miami last night it sounds as if Miami may be the biggest team Duke plays on both sides of the ball. He also said they are really fast and have a lot of weapons namely there 6'5" wide receiver Tommy Streeter who has 600 plus yards and 7 TDs this season. Cut also praised QB Jacory Harris as being better because it sounds like he isn't just tossing the ball up hoping Hankerson goes and gets it. Called Travis Benjamin the fastest guy in pad in the ACC. So sounds like it could be a busy day for the secondary unless they corners can disrupt the wide receivers at the line of scrimmage but a risky proposition cause they could beat you easily with a double move with the speed they have. Going to need lots of safety help on deep routes.

Defensively Cut says he thinks Duke can exploit their secondary which he called the 'newest' part of the team. Overall he seems positive happy with the way the team is playing and says they are playing better just not winning. He mentioned that he has gotten to watch a lot more football in recent weeks with the early games and feels that Duke is playing as well if not better than some teams who are winning but who have that one guy that can make a play when they need it.

Desmond Scott he said is about 100 percent again and it sounds like he really could have missed more time but pushed himself to get back and play. Was a serious ligament injury in his knee. I think that cut/stop and go move he pulled off against Virginia Tech showed us all what he is capable of bringing when healthy. Too bad they didn't capitalize on that drive.

Going to be tough but he thinks they can do it.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Will was the Number 1 kickoff guy before the injury. Since the injury, Asack has handled all of the kickoff duties, I assume to help Will with the healing process. In the Stanford game, I am not positive but I believe Asack attempted one of the FG's and Ijjas attempted the other. Both missed badly. In regards to Asack not having scored a point in his career, up until this year he was 3rd or lower on the depth chart and thus had never attempted an extra point that I am aware of prior to this year. Asack has performed well in kickoff duties, and I have no idea why he is not the backup placekicker. I assume Ijjas outperforms him in practice. Agree it is an odd situation though.
    Snyderwine missed two FGs against Stanford, Ijjas missed one. Asack has never attempted a place kick in a Duke game.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Snyderwine missed two FGs against Stanford, Ijjas missed one. Asack has never attempted a place kick in a Duke game.
    Thanks Jim. I was at the game and wasn't sure if Asack attempted one of those or not. Was thinking there were two attempts after Will went out but, I know better than to question to Sumner guy. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    You're absolutely right! Never thought I'd hear Frank Beamer say that Duke played an excellent game regardless of whatever happened on the field. As for the whining players, sometimes a little psychological projection (or is it transference?) can interfere with the facts.
    Not pointing a finger, but I've seen a lot of antagonism toward Beamer posted on these forums before. He really is a humble, deferential guy...to the point that many VT fans get frustrated with him for it. He inherited a program on UNC-style probation (Bill Dooley was his predecessor) and has taken them to the level they are today. If it weren't for Beamer, VT would be floundering in Conference-USA or the rotten shell of the Big East. He's really done a Paterno-type job on the whole university. Obviously, his greatest fault is that he has given too many of his players too many chances, but it's not like he's pompous about it (see: Bowden) or a jerk to other coaches or the media (see: Spurrier). Personality-wise, he's really very Cutcliffe-esque. Yes, there was the rogue strong safety Aaron Rouse who tried to personally take out Thad a few years back, but remember that Beamer set UNC football back almost a decade by playing Baddour in order to get more money for the VT assistant coaches from the stingy (but very very good) VT AD...so what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Not pointing a finger, but I've seen a lot of antagonism toward Beamer posted on these forums before. He really is a humble, deferential guy...to the point that many VT fans get frustrated with him for it. He inherited a program on UNC-style probation (Bill Dooley was his predecessor) and has taken them to the level they are today. If it weren't for Beamer, VT would be floundering in Conference-USA or the rotten shell of the Big East. He's really done a Paterno-type job on the whole university. Obviously, his greatest fault is that he has given too many of his players too many chances, but it's not like he's pompous about it (see: Bowden) or a jerk to other coaches or the media (see: Spurrier). Personality-wise, he's really very Cutcliffe-esque. Yes, there was the rogue strong safety Aaron Rouse who tried to personally take out Thad a few years back, but remember that Beamer set UNC football back almost a decade by playing Baddour in order to get more money for the VT assistant coaches from the stingy (but very very good) VT AD...so what's not to like?
    My reference was not to Beamer's personality, but rather the great difference in play on the part of the Duke team. Beamer is gracious in post game interviews...but saying that Duke played an excellent game is not about being gracious, it's a reflection of the level of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Why it took us until Snyderline's injury to figure out that Asack was the right call for kickoffs is beyond me. In one game, i think VT, Asack kicked off and got the stop at the 11 yard line. That is, he was first to tackle the VT player.

Asack is a legit 220, 6-2 player who hit hard as a linebacker in high school, and may be one of the strongest guys on the team at his size / weight.

Why risk an injury with Snyderline kicking off? Certainly Snyderline is no comparison stopping returns.

Asack kicks as far or farther.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Why it took us until Snyderline's injury to figure out that Asack was the right call for kickoffs is beyond me. In one game, i think VT, Asack kicked off and got the stop at the 11 yard line. That is, he was first to tackle the VT player.

Asack is a legit 220, 6-2 player who hit hard as a linebacker in high school, and may be one of the strongest guys on the team at his size / weight.

Why risk an injury with Snyderline kicking off? Certainly Snyderline is no comparison stopping returns.

Asack kicks as far or farther.
    My guess is that Snyderwine isn't in your spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    My guess is that Snyderwine isn't in your spell checker.
    touche