Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

FB: Virginia Tech 14, Duke 10

It was a tough loss last week, but this season still has a few weeks to go. As usual, I have the link for the TV affiliate list from the ACC website:
    http://www.theacc.com/live/2011-acc-...h-at-duke.html

Considering we were just on the network last week, there are very few differences. It looks like Hagerstown, Maryland is out and Baltimore is in and I spotted a channel difference in the Washington DC area. I would just double-check the list to see what channel to tune into for the game.

Let's Go Duke ... Aaron Rouse, we will *never* forget ...

This would be a nice one to win. Go get 'em guys.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Previews from Techsideline

Here is the main preview of the Duke-VT game from Techsideline.

Here is another preview from one of their bloggers, who has a unique style that you either love or hate. I think it's fun.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    First and foremost thing to do if we hope to have any chance at all is to not let them score early and often as Wake and FSU did. We are doomed if we have to play catchup again. IF we do let them score early and often, we better keep pace with them and not start to figure out our game plan in the second half once again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ... We are doomed if we have to play catchup again. ...
    To that end, if we win the toss, TAKE THE BALL!!!!!

VT fan support always shows up strong. On that note I am sure atleast one side will be full of Duke Blue. This is going to be a battle. Duke still can make a bowl if we win out and I know that we will be gunning for the win. I expect a hard fought battle with Duke prevailing, sending shockwaves through the ACC.

42-35 Duke

18.5 point 'dogs. This one could get ugly in a hurry if we get behind early.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Duke still can make a bowl if we win out...
    There are five games left, but we only need to win three to attain bowl eligibility. If we win out, we will be 8-4.
    Bob Green

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    There are five games left, but we only need to win three to attain bowl eligibility. If we win out, we will be 8-4.
    Fine, we'll take 8-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Fine, we'll take 8-4.
    I'm not greedy, 7-5 is okay with me.

Let's take that first step tomorrow, though.

We're about due for a nice big upset. Whether or not it is tomorrow, Cut will deliver one in the near future. Of that I am quite confident.

Go Devils! Shock the Turkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    We're about due for a nice big upset. Whether or not it is tomorrow, Cut will deliver one in the near future. Of that I am quite confident.

Go Devils! Shock the Turkeys!

There is no better day than today for Duke football to Shock the World. We need to knock off several ACC opponents down the stretch so today would be a great day to get started! I believe we need this game to be a shootout in order to have a chance to pull off the upset. It is time to throw caution to the wind and get the offense rolling. I'm hoping for a 2009 NC State type game where points were being scored left and right until the Wolfpack offense wilted under the pressure of having to score every time they had the ball. Our offense needs to explode today and dare Virginia Tech to respond and respond and respond...
    Bob Green

on the verge

I can't help thinking how close we are ...

As disappointing as the Richmond and Wake games were, change just one play in each game and Duke is 5-2 at this moment. Imagine the excitement that would be surrounding the program if that were the case.

Now, I realize that change a couple of plays in the BC and the FIU games and we would be 1-6. That's a fair response to my observation.

But my point is that this team -- this program -- is right on the cusp of success. It's still a relatively young team and if we could just make the breakthrough this season, we'll be set up beautifully for next year. But Duke needs a breakthrough win ... something to develop the mindset that they should win games like Richmond and Wake. I don't think that's there yet.

I think Va Tech will be tough. But that's the point of a breakthroughy win -- you've got to beat somebody nobody expects you to.

After the Wake loss -- what a heartbreaker! -- I'm not thinking about bowls or anything. I'm thinking of the one big win that will turn this program around. Not saying it happens today, but I think it comes soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    There is no better day than today for Duke football to Shock the World. We need to knock off several ACC opponents down the stretch so today would be a great day to get started! I believe we need this game to be a shootout in order to have a chance to pull off the upset. It is time to throw caution to the wind and get the offense rolling. I'm hoping for a 2009 NC State type game where points were being scored left and right until the Wolfpack offense wilted under the pressure of having to score every time they had the ball. Our offense needs to explode today and dare Virginia Tech to respond and respond and respond...
    Well we need to stretch the field then (can we add that to Throaty's HB?). This 10/10 for 40 yards junk ain't gonna get it done.

I like the phrase Cut used before the BC game, which I attended and enjoyed watching them stretch the field more (though it was still a lot of west coast offense): Unleash Renfree.

We have shown ourselves to be a team that can make plays and make life tough for good opponents, but we need to start taking advantage of these opportunities that we create more often to get to the next level. We are playing a pretty good game against the number 12 team in the country and we nearly had it last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    We have shown ourselves to be a team that can make plays and make life tough for good opponents, but we need to start taking advantage of these opportunities that we create more often to get to the next level. We are playing a pretty good game against the number 12 team in the country and we nearly had it last week.
    Agreed. What drives me completely nuts and what I think is really killing this team is the number of negative yardage plays. One occurred today on Duke's next-to-last drive. We completely a tough, long pass to Vernon for 39 yards, then had a nice, 8 yard run on first down to set up 2nd and about 2. Then, on second down, we opened up NO hole for our RB and he bounced off the VT defender like a child and ended up flat on his back. Two yard loss. And, just like that, we're in 3rd and 4. Not really sure why Boone came in on 3rd and 4 but he did and almost got sacked. Anyway, my point is that it seems like every time the team makes a positive play and seems to have a little momentum going, we do something stupid like a sideways pass or a run up the middle, or get a procedure penalty, and end up going backwards. Ugh.

Well, here's to hoping for a much better second half! Go Duke!!!

I'm encouraged by the 1st half. Now we need to play a strong 2nd half like we did against BC and Wake Forest.
    Bob Green

There's a lot of positive to take out of the first half, for sure, but there's also a lot that could've gone much, much worse. We gave up some huge pass plays once again. Our offense really struggled (especially with Boone in, for the most part), and we kept taking the ball out of Renfree's hands when he was finally getting somewhere with the passing game. The QB rotation can't be good for Sean's confidence. And the running game is going nowhere, at all. The game could've easily been tied, but this just as easily could have been 28-7 at the half. That scares me a bit. The one really big positive is that we've gone back to a vertical passing game, which opens up so much all over the field. Playcalling is still pretty conservative in the red zone, though.