State-Carolina rivalry heats up

Wow, UNC -State are getting ready to renew their football rivalry and things are heating up. First Everett Withers of NC has the unmitigated gall to brag about his school's academic record ... then Tom O'Brien points out that UNC has had agents on their staff, paid players and committed academic fraud:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/10331945/

Tom Brien hasn't done the greatest job at State. I'm the first to think he mishandled the whole Russell Wilson/Mike Glennon situation. But he's 4-0 against UNC (even before UNC started vacating wins) and now he has the nerve to call them out just before the rivalry game.

I'm hoping that before we play the Heels this month, Coach Cutcliffe says something similar -- and I hope that Duke will change the record books to show that he has is only 0-1 against UNC. I want to make it clear that we're not claiming any wins for the games they vacated (a vacated game is not a forfeit), but neither can UNC count games it vacated as wins.

I hope they change his record at Duke to 4-8, 5-6, 3-8. That merely reflects the games UNC itself admits that they used ineligible players in -- games that vacated on their own.

Quick edit: UNC chancellor Holden Thorpe just apologized to the NC State chancellor for Withers' remarks:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/...-nc-state.html

Can't wait to see the reaction of the lunatic fringe at UNXC who are already so mad at Thorpe for firing their beloved Butch Davis they they are hiring airplanes to fly over Kenan on gamedays with anti-Thorpe messages.
    Last edited by Olympic Fan; 11-03-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Unbelievable that Coach Withers is so completely dense as to poke fun at State's academics while UNC football is waiting to hear what punishment will be handed down by the NCAA for, among other things, academic fraud and misconduct!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Unbelievable that Coach Withers is so completely dense . . . .
    That's where we differ.

;<)

Unbelievable that Coach Withers is so completely dense as to poke fun at State's academics while UNC football is waiting to hear what punishment will be handed down by the NCAA for, among other things, academic fraud and misconduct!
    But isn't he the same guy who thought it was appropriate to award to game ball from the first game to Butch Davis who was being honored at that game????

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    But isn't he the same guy who thought it was appropriate to award to game ball from the first game to Butch Davis who was being honored at that game????
    Well, without Butch Davis, I think it is pretty clear that Withers would never have gotten the Carolina head coaching gig.

-Jason "Withers probably thinks he has a good shot to keep the Carolina job, but he needs to go at least 2-1 in their last 3 ACC games, I think" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, without Butch Davis, I think it is pretty clear that Withers would never have gotten the Carolina head coaching gig.

-Jason "Withers probably thinks he has a good shot to keep the Carolina job, but he needs to go at least 2-1 in their last 3 ACC games, I think" Evans
    His odds may go up if the NCAA comes down on Carolina with Hammer of Thor style fury and makes the job unpalatable to good available candidates for a few years. But, I think, Withers will have to do an absolutely great job in his available time (even better than he has this year, although he's done a pretty good job overall) to keep the job. He has the stink of Butch on him, as far as the administration and new boosters are concerned, anyway. The Rams Club faithful, on the other hand, may not care so much about stink...

Withers is trying to drum up support from the fanbase to become the permanent HC, haven't ventured over but I bet the IC crowd loved his comments and are now vilifying O'Brien for his response.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I loved TOB's response! He pulled no punches. For those that didn't click the link, he said Withers is part of a staff that got called into Indy, had an agent on the staff, paid players, and had academic fraud, which made for a nice triple play! TOB bringing the heat. Game, set, match in the pre-game trash talk.

The UNC guys in my office were quite upset with Holden this afternoon when the apology came out. Tomorrow should be fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I loved TOB's response! He pulled no punches. For those that didn't click the link, he said Withers is part of a staff that got called into Indy, had an agent on the staff, paid players, and had academic fraud, which made for a nice triple play! TOB bringing the heat. Game, set, match in the pre-game trash talk.

The UNC guys in my office were quite upset with Holden this afternoon when the apology came out. Tomorrow should be fun...
    Of all the juicy details of this situation, perhaps one of the most entertaining was in Olympic Fan's comments... the very idea of airplanes flying over each game this season pulling signs calling for Thorpe's ouster ... what a scene! What dolts! It's like a scene out of a Clyde Edgerton novel!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Of all the juicy details of this situation, perhaps one of the most entertaining was in Olympic Fan's comments... the very idea of airplanes flying over each game this season pulling signs calling for Thorpe's ouster ... what a scene! What dolts! It's like a scene out of a Clyde Edgerton novel!
    Agree DitBD. Hiring a plane to fly by? That's insane. I wonder how long this civil war at the dump on the hump will last, and if Holden will have his job when all is said and done?

Love this quote from Tom O'Brian:

“You have an agent on staff, you are paying players & you have academic fraud. That's a triple play as far as the NCAA is concerned."

Absolutely hilarious! I've heard it on the local sports radio at least 4 times and I love it every time! You know it's bad when the local media can't even put it's pro-UNC slant on it (although they tried real hard).

Unbelievable that Coach Withers is so completely dense ...
    I'm w/ OPK. He's Carolina's coach, not so hard to believe...

... the very idea of airplanes flying over each game this season pulling signs calling for Thorpe's ouster ... what a scene! What dolts! ...
    ... again, these are Carolina fans ... they have standards to uphold ...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... I'm hoping that before we play the Heels this month, Coach Cutcliffe says something similar ....
    I'm guessing that when, oh, let's say somebody at his press conference that week asks him about it all, Cut will give his "Lane Kiffin has just left Tennessee in flames, what do you think" response: slightly raised eyebrows, slightly wide eyes, slight smile, saying only something along the lines of "yeah, well, it's really something" -- yet communicating everything.

That shouldn't stop the rest of us from listing every peanut butter pepper ball loving detail of the study of Mohammedism at the flagship university with the worse graduation rate than Duke...

Serious question: TO'B's quote about every class having a syllabus -- when somebody read that aloud to Withers and the Carolina players, did they understand what he was talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Serious question: TO'B's quote about every class having a syllabus -- when somebody read that aloud to Withers and the Carolina players, did they understand what he was talking about?
    Of course, Withers referred to a classical legend about a temptress and said "don't have no damn time for demon women hanging out with my players, specially night before a game."

Unbelievable gall from Withers. If you're going to try to stoke the flames, don't pick academic integrity as your argument.

If anything, he just brought this back into the forefront after the media was starting to drop the investigation since Friday.

Loved the syllabus reference from O'Brien though. Crazy to think that some of the Chapel Hill classes are so easy as to have none.