New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Duke women picked to finish second behind...Miami?!

Congrats to Duke alum Katie Meier for developing the Hurricanes into the program they have become. This is their first ever preseason #1 pick, and if it comes to fruition would be the first time they won the ACC. We'll still beat them though!! Duke has been picked 12 times out of the last 15 years.
    Preason picks...
    Predicted Order of Finish
    1. Miami (30)
    2. Duke (10)
    3. Maryland
    4. Florida State
    5. Georgia Tech
    6. North Carolina
    7. NC State
    8. Virginia
    9. Boston College
    10. Wake Forest
    11. Clemson
    12. Virginia Tech

Preseason All-ACC Team
    Cierra Bravard, Sr., F, Florida State
    Shenise Johnson, Sr., G, Miami
    Lynetta Kizer, Sr., C, Maryland
    Alyssa Thomas, So., F, Maryland
    Riquna Williams, Sr., G, Miami

Newcomer Watch List
    Natiece Ford, Fr., G/F, Clemson
    Amber Henson, Fr., F, Duke
    Brittany Rountree, Fr., G, North Carolina
    Elizabeth Williams, Fr., C, Duke
    Sydney Wallace, Fr., G, Georgia Tech

Preseason Player of the Year: Shenise Johnson, Sr., G, Miami
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Congrats to Duke alum Katie Meier for developing the Hurricanes into the program they have become. This is their first ever preseason #1 pick, and if it comes to fruition would be the first time they won the ACC. We'll still beat them though!! Duke has been picked 12 times out of the last 15 years.
    Preason picks...

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    I met Katie Meier at the recent Women's Final Four in Indy. She was great, very outgoing and personable. When Meier saw the Duke gear my son and I were wearing, she immediately came over to us and struck up a conversation. She definitely still loves Duke. Miami is very, very lucky to have her. Miami is now my second favorite women's basketball team!

I'm not sure I fully understand the question mark and exclamation point. Miami tied Duke for the regular-season title last year, lost no one of consequence (Duke lost three starters) and added some size, eliminating their biggest question mark (no pun intended). Their returnees include Shenise Johnson, the 2011 ACC Player of the Year, and high-scoring guard Riquana Williams.

So, they're loaded. Can they transition from hunter to hunted? If they can, they project to be really, really good.

Miaimi is more of a provren commodity - Duke may have more potential.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not sure I fully understand the question mark and exclamation point. Miami tied Duke for the regular-season title last year, lost no one of consequence (Duke lost three starters) and added some size, eliminating their biggest question mark (no pun intended). Their returnees include Shenise Johnson, the 2011 ACC Player of the Year, and high-scoring guard Riquana Williams.

So, they're loaded. Can they transition from hunter to hunted? If they can, they project to be really, really good.
    The Hurricanes have well earned the reputation and the votes, the question mark is there as a winking kudos. This is the first time they have earned the honor, and it is still a new experience for them to be in the spotlight. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do with the target on their back; it's usually either the heels, Terps or Devils in the top spot. (And further back UVA.)
    I truly believe the ACC is the best conference in the country top to bottom in women's basketball, there is not a team in the top 8 that I would want to play, and I'm sure the other 4 will surprise someone at least once this season. Both Florida teams have made tremendous progress in recent years and have the capability of winning both the regular season and the tournament. Brenda Frese has her Maryland team once again a true threat. What I really hope is that come tourney time, the ACC puts on a better showing then we have of late, and I think this year we will.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke in the future...

It was discussed in another thread a while back; but I read an article in the N&O a brief verbage about the Stuart Scott at Late NIght with Roy talking to the former women's assistasnt coach at Duke (who is now at UNC) about she felt being at Carolina; and she responded to the tune of saying that it was great coming to work and being able to put on God's great blue. That comment stung me; but more importantly, I still wonder if Duke's recruiting will sufferwith that coach's departure in terms of incoming talent level and if Carolina's talent level will increase with here being there now. I don't think it's a coincidence that Duke had back to back #1 ranked recruiting classes with that coach being a lead recruiter. Since Coach P has mentioned in the past that she didn't particular like recruiting, will Duke suffer in the rankings and standings in the future or does anyone think Coach P will still be able to bring top recruiting classes despite the loss of what appeared to be a very good recruiter?

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    It was discussed in another thread a while back; but I read an article in the N&O a brief verbage about the Stuart Scott at Late NIght with Roy talking to the former women's assistasnt coach at Duke (who is now at UNC) about she felt being at Carolina; and she responded to the tune of saying that it was great coming to work and being able to put on God's great blue. That comment stung me; but more importantly, I still wonder if Duke's recruiting will sufferwith that coach's departure in terms of incoming talent level and if Carolina's talent level will increase with here being there now. I don't think it's a coincidence that Duke had back to back #1 ranked recruiting classes with that coach being a lead recruiter. Since Coach P has mentioned in the past that she didn't particular like recruiting, will Duke suffer in the rankings and standings in the future or does anyone think Coach P will still be able to bring top recruiting classes despite the loss of what appeared to be a very good recruiter?
    Why the sting? I just can't believe they're letting her continue wearing Duke Blue!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

1. Go Duke!

2. If it ain't us, I hope it is someone tied to Duke. So best of luck to Katie if it ain't us.

3. Go to Hell, Carolina. I'd pull against the Heels in a sack race or a game of Twister.

4. It would be fun if UConn joined the ACC -- probably moreso in woman's hoops than men's. Love to see Gino get pasted in Cameron. If we can do it, of course.

5. Go to Hell, Carolina. Bears repeating.

duke blue

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Why the sting? I just can't believe they're letting her continue wearing Duke Blue!
    Why not? Butch Davis liked Duke Blue so much that he changed the color of the UNC football jerseys to a blue that was much closer to Duke's dark shade than UNC's traditional pale blue.

And now Roy likes Duke's basketball unies so much that he's commissioned new UNC unforms that are clearly patterned on the Duke design (with faint outlines of the campus landmarks finished on the back).

If Butch and Roy can ditch that disgusting pale blue and put their teams in Duke gear, I don't see why a UNC woman's assistant can't keep wearing God's Great Blue.

Seems to me

Considering that the women usually stay four years, Duke should be loaded for the next few seasons. As long as Duke's prized recruits play together and start running some fluid offense, they should attract other talented athletes who would be happy to buy into the Duke program. WBB doesn't need monster classes, just two or three top players every year. Of course, the fluid offense part may simply be something I want to see, but it certainly can't hurt.

True Story. I bought my first car ever from...Katie Meier. She graduated the same year from Duke as I did (1990) and she sold me her 1984 Nissan Sentra right before she headed overseas to play basketball. I think I paid $1,200 for it in cash to her. Pretty cool! Drove it for four years. She was a really nice person, by the way. So happy for her success. I bet one day she coaches at Duke!

Trish Stafford-Odom. I am still bothered by this. I would like to know the story behind this move. Most people on this board thought S-O was the villain, but until recently she was 100% in our camp. Yes, we will have some good years with the recent recruits, but I think people are underestimating how fast these years will go and how quickly a program can take a dip - see: UNC.