Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    While a lack of protection time would certainly explain Renfree's inability to throw downfield (and the lack of calls to do so), it is curious that the same o-line has us running the ball pretty well (when we choose to run, which isn't often), and in the recent past I seem to remember a record-setting QB, now with the Browns, who certainly threw the ball downfield. Has our pass protection really declined since the days of Thad Lewis?
    No, the protection has not declined. Lewis really blossomed his last two years, and Coach Cutcliffe had to be the main reason. Thad became adept at identifying the open receiver immediately, and then zinged the ball to that man. Sean has not yet been able to do that with as much consistency as Thad. I'm not trying to knock Sean. Thad is an NFL-quality quarterback, and to just make a pro roster as QB is a great accomplishment. Can Sean be that good? Maybe. He's physically there.

I have a serious question for Watzone or others who see our QBs practice a good bit. Is Anthony Boone a good passer? The little bit I've seen of him indicates he might be, but the sample size is admittedly tiny.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

One brief comment from watching the game:

Givens from Wake is very, very good.
    I thought going into the season that our "V" boys Vernon and Varner were as good as anybody in the league.
    However, Givens and Sammy Watkins from Clemson are at a different level altogether, truly game breakers.

In addition to a general upgrade of talent (which I believe is happening) we could also use at least 1 or 2 true playmakers, who could make a great play on their own to decide a game.
    I wouldn't rule out Jamison Crowder from reaching that level, but don't see anybody else; maybe Scott or Sneed if fully healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    No, the protection has not declined. Lewis really blossomed his last two years, and Coach Cutcliffe had to be the main reason. Thad became adept at identifying the open receiver immediately, and then zinged the ball to that man. Sean has not yet been able to do that with as much consistency as Thad. I'm not trying to knock Sean. Thad is an NFL-quality quarterback, and to just make a pro roster as QB is a great accomplishment. Can Sean be that good? Maybe. He's physically there.

I have a serious question for Watzone or others who see our QBs practice a good bit. Is Anthony Boone a good passer? The little bit I've seen of him indicates he might be, but the sample size is admittedly tiny.
    I have not seen him practice but I have seen him warm-up prior to a game. Sean may not be throwing as hard when he warms-up (since he knows he has a full game to play) but Boone appears to have the strongest arm out of the bunch.

I am no expert. But, if the VT game starts to get ugly I think we will see AB come in and have a shot at a running a full series. I would like to see Boone have the chance to throw down the field. Since we really only have one package set up for Boone I wonder if he just isn't ready to make these kinds of throws yet. With the strength that I have seen out of AB, in either a shotgun or a single back formation, with a one or two step drop, hitting some slant routes could open up the VV's to make some plays.
    Last edited by Duke of Nashville; 10-24-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    One brief comment from watching the game:

Givens from Wake is very, very good.
    I thought going into the season that our "V" boys Vernon and Varner were as good as anybody in the league.
    However, Givens and Sammy Watkins from Clemson are at a different level altogether, truly game breakers.

In addition to a general upgrade of talent (which I believe is happening) we could also use at least 1 or 2 true playmakers, who could make a great play on their own to decide a game.
    I wouldn't rule out Jamison Crowder from reaching that level, but don't see anybody else; maybe Scott or Sneed if fully healthy?
    I agree with Givens and Watkins. Those guys are incrediable.

Crowder is one heck of an athlete. When I see him run I think of some of the guys that Florida had in the past. If he gets in the open field he is gone! He is fast as heck but his size really hurts him as a WR. I'd like to see him lined up in the backfield more often or try to get some bubble screens going his way. JC3 might make some questionable decisions but he may be our second most talented player on offense (which says alot about a True Freshman), only behind Vernon.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Wow! Bringing the convo here at DBR.

I am frustrated as heck in that losing to Wake again is not a fun thing. But this team is very close to being 5-2 with two more executed plays in two games and if that were the case the boards would be abalze with bowl talk. It's easy to take shots at a team when they are down but recognizing the improvements seem lost on some. Sure, they're taking baby steps but that is much better than being on our heals as was the case with previous coaches. At some point the light will go off and the players will realize they're better than even they think and I look forward to that time.

Here are the Duke Video Highlights from the game - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/10/d...s-wake-forest/
    http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/duke.shtml

The above link provides an independent ranking of Duke football since 1960. These rankings indicated improvement in Duke football over the past 4 years is not dramatic. I guess we can argue about how the rankings were developed, but I don't think we're that close to winning half our games each year. The current 2011 ranking is #74, but we probably need to win another game or at least play our tough opponents close to stay below 90 or so. Bring back the early to mid 60's!!