Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home Page problems with Internet Explorer

Is anyone else having trouble seeing it? Just the top part with the links loads and I get an "error on page" message. I am going through withdrawal here.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble seeing it? Just the top part with the links loads and I get an "error on page" message. I am going through withdrawal here.
    Yes. I get the Blue Devil Report Banner and the Old Spice ad below it. The rest of the page is blank black. I get no message. If I switch from Explorer to Chrome it works just fine. Explorer works just fine on my husband's computer. This just started today I think.

We're looking into the problem. I've been unable to replicate the problem using Firefox 5 and IE 9. If you don't mind, could you let me know what browser and version you're using that has the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    We're looking into the problem. I've been unable to replicate the problem using Firefox 5 and IE 9. If you don't mind, could you let me know what browser and version you're using that has the problem?
    I have just solved the problem in Internet Explorer 9 by clicking the the compatability icon in the address bar. It says this is to be used for pages written for older browser. Icon is in the shape of a broken page next to the refresh icon.

We're still getting a few people reporting this problem.

If anyone having trouble with the home page (the main DBR, not the board) can report here which browser and which version, I'd appreciate it.

And if it's IE and turning on compatibility works, that'd be helpful, too.

thanks,

-jk

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    We're still getting a few people reporting this problem.

If anyone having trouble with the home page (the main DBR, not the board) can report here which browser and which version, I'd appreciate it.

And if it's IE and turning on compatibility works, that'd be helpful, too.

thanks,

-jk
    I am still seeing the issue using IE 8.0. Been like this a couple of days now.

all fine on safari...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I can toggle the problem in Internet Explorer 9 with Compatibility View, and the problem is visible when Compatibility View is enabled.

You can toggle it from Tools (Alt-T if the menu bar is hidden), Compatibility View

Or click the Compatibility View button on the Address bar - it's to the right of the address line, and looks like a box with a jagged line across it.

-jk

I can't get it even when using compatibility mode in IE 7 here at home or IE 8 at home, or IE 8 at work---all day today.

I can get the boards, however, like everyone else.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I can't get it even when using compatibility mode in IE 7 here at home or IE 8 at home, or IE 8 at work---all day today.

I can get the boards, however, like everyone else.

ricks
    Have you turned off compatibility mode? That's what does it on my IE9.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I am still seeing the issue using IE 8.0. Been like this a couple of days now.
    Same here, IE 8.0. Both at home and at work!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I was able to test in IE8, and the problem exhibited whether I was in compatibility mode or not.

If you don't yet have Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, this might be a good time to try one while we try to resolve this.

Thanks for your patience!

-jk

The javascript is erroring at line 80, saying textLayer is null or not an object.

Code:
    77 if(document.all){
    78     // thisbrowser="ie"
    79     textLayer = document.all["text"];
    80     textLayer.innerHTML=msgstring;
    81 }
    This tells me that line 79 is failing to find an element called "text" and therefore is setting textLayer to null. Reading up a bit more, it appears that this method for determining if a browser is IE (testing the document.all method) is ancient and is only necessary for compatibility with IE4. All more recent versions of IE support document.getElementByID, which is used starting on line 82. There's some really ancient code in here.

http://javascript.about.com/od/hints.../a/worst_4.htm

I do however see a refernce to an element named "text" at line 474. So I'm not sure why it's failing to find it. I do think it would be worth a try to remove that whole block of code from 78-81 - unless you need to support IE4 (you don't) the next block of code that uses getElementById should work. Note the recommendation in the linked article, that the support for document.getElementById should be done before a check for document.all, since it will then use the getElementByID method for all modern versions of IE and only use document.all for ancient ones.

Thanks. Fortunately, we made a decision to completely abandon anyone using pre-IE6, and partially IE6 itself, too. Unfortunately, I think all the scripts are generated on the fly by the wordpress blog engine, so I'm not sure they'll be able to find it that way.

I'll pass it on to the programmers, though.

Thanks for the find.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Have you turned off compatibility mode? That's what does it on my IE9.

-jk
    I tried it with and without compatibility mode and it still doesn't work, but then, I do not have IE 9. I have complete confidence that ya'll will figure this one out, as you have always come through in the past. So, I will give you the best feedback I can and just wait it out. I can still get to the boards, so I'm O.K. for now.

ricks

I use FireFox and Chrome almost exclusively... exclusively for DBR... and have no problems. I just tried IE8 on my Win7 laptop (without any tweaks) and the problem occurs. Only the banner and the ad. I also just tried it on IE7 on my WinXP SP3 computer (without any tweaks)... no problems.

I can no longer trigger the problem whether compatibility mode is on or off in IE9. Looks like you fixed something.
    Thanks for the dedicated work.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I am using IE 8 again this morning and I can now see the front page just fine. Whatever you did worked.

Thanks!

Internet explorer?

Might I take this opportunity to tell everyone to install Firefox internet browser from www.firefox.com. Its so much faster, more secure and more customizable than IE.

And best of all, it displays DBR flawlessly!

-jk,
    Working fine for me this morning (still an old i-8 user who should probably update anyway) and it was not working yesterday, so things do see to be fixed. Thanks!