Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anunike officially out for season

No surprise. But still, a bummer.

From Duke press release

"Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe announced on Monday that redshirt junior defensive end Kenny Anunike will miss the remainder of the 2011 season after suffering torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee during Duke’s 48-27 win over Tulane this past Saturday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Kenny as he recovers from yet another unfortunate injury,” Cutcliffe said. “He was obviously off to an excellent start this season, and we’ll miss is production and leadership on the defensive front.”

Duke head team physician Dr. Claude “Tee” Moorman will handle surgical duties at a later date."

This is terrible news - I feel really badly for him.

I know he has a bad injury history, but is this his 3rd ACL/MCL tear?

Off topic, but Thomas Davis just went down with his 3rd in 2 just over years.

Kenny is such a nice guy, and he was blossoming into a star defensive lineman this year. Hopefully a full recovery is in the cards for him and he can return next season. We will miss his pass rushing this year.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Maybe Kenny can pull a Zoubeard next year... heal well this year (this is key), come back next year and be the FORCE!

This is so sad. Just read a story in the Raleigh N&O about him (can't find the link today and probably couldn't link to it anyway from my crappy work laptop), his recruitment as a TE and conversion to DE and his recovery from 2 knee surgeries already. Sounds like a great young man from this and someone I know who has worked with him. Hope he will have successful surgery and recover completely. This one may be the toughest of all.

Best wishes for a full and quick recovery. And, thanks for all you have done for Duke and hope to do in the future.

This is sad news indeed! Kenny's a fighter. I know he'll make the best of this situation.

OUCH!

As a veteran of three ACL reconstructions of my own, I know Kenny's frustration and I wish him a fast and full recovery! As a Duke football fan, this is a huge loss. I'm hopefull that our depth will be able to step in and fill Kenny's big shoes...Anunike was off to an outstanding start to the season!

Anunike

FWIW, Coach Cut said that the plan is for Kenny to return for his fifth year, though he said that the rehab will be quite painful.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    FWIW, Coach Cut said that the plan is for Kenny to return for his fifth year, though he said that the rehab will be quite painful.
    Rehab is always quite painful, whether you're an athlete or not. Ask anyone who has gone through it. Now for an elite athlete getting back to game strength, that takes extra dedication and drive. Kenny is tough and driven. He can do it!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Rehab is always quite painful, whether you're an athlete or not. Ask anyone who has gone through it. Now for an elite athlete getting back to game strength, that takes extra dedication and drive. Kenny is tough and driven. He can do it!
    What can I say, snow skiing and basketball were not kind to me, so I've been through it three times and can confirm that it's not fun what so ever! I can't begin imagine the extra dedication and work that must be employed as a D1 athlete. I wish Kenny the best and look forward to seeing him wearing that beautiful shade of blue on the football field again next year.

Major bummer for a great guy.

Grant Hill should send him some words of encouragement.