Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Some notes on K's press conference, 8-31-11

Mike Krzyzewski addressed the media today.

Some highlights.

Nothing but praise for the China/Dubai trip. A good time was had by all, Duke blended work and play and K learned some things about his team. Great bonding experience.

K very complimentary towards Seth Curry, who he says "could be one of the better point guards in the country." K says that Curry separated himself. "I liked everything about Seth, the way he passed, he can really handle the ball and made pretty good decisions." K said Curry still needs to learn when to look for his shot and when to set up his teammates. He's in great shape. Never gets tired.

Austin Rivers "has a great deal to improve on. Every play doesn't have to be hard. He wants to learn and has a great attitude."

Ryan Kelly was "really assertive on offense. He put the ball on the floor well." Duke had seen that in practice but wanted to see it in games.

After Curry, K thought the three bigs played the best. Said that Mason "really played well the last two games." He needs to rely more on strength, less on finesse. "That has to be the habit."

Andre is "right there." Not much further on "Dre.

Quinn Cook is "progressing well." Did lots of strengthing work in China. Duke expects him to be ready for basketball work in a couple of weeks.

Top six clearly established. Needs for Murphy and/or Gbinijie to be able to guard big wings. Hairston and Marshall may see only spot minutes if top 3 bigs stay healthy. Thornton capable of giving solid minutes off the bench.

K is giving the team a couple of weeks off. Long season ahead.

No discussion of redshirting anyone.

K says "I think we can really score the ball. We can space you. You have to guard our people. We're getting the ball to the big guys well. We need to cross the bridge and become as good defensively."

Pre-season emphasis will be on team defense and rebounding.

Sounds like a good solid Duke team ready to begin the season. With good contributions from the bench, this team will roll.

I hope a strong leader on the court emerges early.

GO DUKE!

hud

Thanks for the report Jim.

As to the on the court leader, I think we saw Ryan Kelly really step forward in that way on the trip.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    K very complimentary towards Seth Curry, who he says "could be one of the better point guards in the country." K says that Curry separated himself. "I liked everything about Seth, the way he passed, he can really handle the ball and made pretty good decisions." K said Curry still needs to learn when to look for his shot and when to set up his teammates. He's in great shape. Never gets tired.
    This is very interesting. On other threads, DBR posters are lamenting over and over the lack of a "true" point guard. Doesn't sound like K is worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This is very interesting. On other threads, DBR posters are lamenting over and over the lack of a "true" point guard. Doesn't sound like K is worried.
    Nope. Let me emphasize that this was not pro-forma praise. K went out of his way to praise Curry, turning several open-ended questions into opportunities to talk about Seth.

Nice. Thanks for the highlights Jim. I'm confident with Seth running the point this year. Next year could be Tyler and Quinn's year to shine. What is it? Like 44 more days till CTC? Cannot wait. Go Duke!

Alex
    Last edited by Duke of Nashville; 08-31-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Off-Topic

Thanks, Jim.

There's a video on GoDuke.com if you go the Men's BB main page and look along the right side where it says "Inside Access" (don't have to login or anything, just click the video)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nope. Let me emphasize that this was not pro-forma praise. K went out of his way to praise Curry, turning several open-ended questions into opportunities to talk about Seth.
    Also, this may at least partially answer the question of who are likely captains...though most already thought Curry was well on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Also, this may at least partially answer the question of who are likely captains...though most already thought Curry was well on his way.
    Agreed. I watched most of the videos from Duke Blue Planet and when they were off the court Seth seemed to be showing that he was comfortable with his role as being a leader. I can see him playing a mentor role with our younger players and bringing along some of the play we will see out of Austin Rivers this year. Something I think Harrison Barnes (scorn me for the comparison) lacked early last year.

Alex

Not surprised that being such a young team that they are behind defensively. K will definitely fix that.

Also very encouraging to hear K compliment the bigs. If they play well that will take a lot of pressure off of our "scoring guards" to carry the team, including AR giving him time to develop.

Here's the link to the press conference:

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.d...CLID=205264365

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Great stuff Jim. Thanks for sharing that. I am very encouraged with our bigs and feel those 3 guys are set to have a great year. Andre and Seth will be really good, and Austin will figure it out quickly. I am also of the belief that one or both of Alex/Mike will develop enough to provide that defense on big wings. If that happens, the ceiling for this team goes up a couple of notches.

There is much work to do, and lots of improvement needed, but it is very encouragin to hear these things from K himself. He has never been big on "coach speak" and handing out praise without merit.

Exciting stuff.

Nice to hear that Murphy and or Gbinije will get minutes. Disappointed to hear that Hairston will only get spot minutes. I think he could be valuable against undersized fours.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Nice to hear that Murphy and or Gbinije will get minutes. Disappointed to hear that Hairston will only get spot minutes. I think he could be valuable against undersized fours.
    These are statements made after only a few practices and exhibition games. Has little to do with what happens when we get into conference play, if Josh earns it. And I am a BIG Hairston fan.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    These are statements made after only a few practices and exhibition games. Has little to do with what happens when we get into conference play, if Josh earns it. And I am a BIG Hairston fan.
    For the record, it was the head coach who suggested that--barring injury--minutes for Hairston might be hard to come by this season. He didn't indicate that Hairston wouldn't be given the opportunity to play himself into the rotation or that this was a permanent situtation. But he did imply that the three guys ahead of him are well ahead of him and that the trio should be able to cover much of the 80 mpg at the 4/5.

I'm surprised that he didn't have more to say about Dre. I really love that kid and while I do see his flaws, I think he's done a lot in the offseason in terms of stamina and improving his already sweet shot. I also like the way he's been attacking the rim when he gets a lane.

Bad timing!

Thanks for the info, especially loved hearing about Seth's growth.

But why have a press conference the week of our first football game? That was easily avoidable. We need for all of Duke's focus to be on the Richmond football game! Changing the culture includes everybody. "C'mon!"

Go Duke!!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Listen

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Thanks for the info, especially loved hearing about Seth's growth.

But why have a press conference the week of our first football game? That was easily avoidable. We need for all of Duke's focus to be on the Richmond football game! Changing the culture includes everybody. "C'mon!"

Go Duke!!
    Check out the actual recording of the conference. K goes out of his way to highlight the game Saturday night and wish Cut and the team well.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    Check out the actual recording of the conference. K goes out of his way to highlight the game Saturday night and wish Cut and the team well.
    Yes, he did. The timing of the press conference was dictated by the timing of the team's return from the trip. Not much of an opportunity to have it last week!

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Not sure I agree with your assessment of Hairston here. But if he does prove to Coach K that he can be valuable against undersized PF (AND if Kelly and the Plumlees have trouble with undersized PF) then I'm sure Hairston would play. I just haven't seen anything that would suggest Hairston will prove better against undersized PF than Kelly or the Plumlees. I think people want to make Hairston a senior-year version of Lance Thomas, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he has that skill set.

I think the only thing surprising from those Coach K comments is the positive statements about Curry's work at PG. Curry looked pretty sloppy and unimpressive as a PG (the ability to shoot was there - the playmaking and passing wasn't) in the 3 games I saw. I'm guessing/hoping that these were aberrant performances for him. But the rest of it (the top-6 having established themselves, one of Murphy/Gbinije needing to be the 8th man, Thornton capable of solid bench minutes, and Hairston and Marshall getting limited minutes behind the three veteran bigs) was pretty consistent with what we've seen in China/Dubai and what should have been expected coming in to the season.
    Last edited by CDu; 09-01-2011 at 10:45 AM.