Page 142 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 3049
  1. #2821
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I agree Flag seems to be the 4 this coming season. My hope would be that Power stays, works on his defense and gets minutes at the 3 and 4. As it stands, we have 2 starting guards, Proctor the point-guard and Foster the #2 guard. Stewart if he stays and Maluach at the 5. The starting 3 would come from Evans, Power, Knueppel or a transfer. If nothing changes, defense will probably win out in a close battle over offense. But if Maluach is the rim protector we hope he is, then offense may win out over defense. A lot for Coach Scheyer to sort out and it's way early to make good predictions on who will be the rotation players. Way, way too early for minutes predictions.

    GoDuke!
    It's never too early for minutes predictions!

  2. #2822
    Liam McNeely (Coopers Montverde teammate) is still undecided. Visiting UCONN next week. I wonder if we lose anyone else to the portal if we get involved in his recruitment. He's ranked 11th in the class and is a gifted shooter.

  3. #2823
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Liam McNeely (Coopers Montverde teammate) is still undecided. Visiting UCONN next week. I wonder if we lose anyone else to the portal if we get involved in his recruitment. He's ranked 11th in the class and is a gifted shooter.
    I would guess not. Given that we have two similarly rated SFs coming in already, I would guess any additions will be from the portal.

  4. #2824
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Liam McNeely (Coopers Montverde teammate) is still undecided. Visiting UCONN next week. I wonder if we lose anyone else to the portal if we get involved in his recruitment. He's ranked 11th in the class and is a gifted shooter.
    Can never have too many freshmen.

  5. #2825
    Take a look at Khaman Maluach's performance today in the Basketball African League -- he had 27 pts, 10 rebs and made 2 threes. It was hard to make any conclusions about him from the Nike Hoop Summit, but man, he impressed me here.

    This video shows the entire game as opposed to only Khaman's highlights, but if you want to get an idea of his play, just watch the first 10 mins where he scores his team's first 12 points.

  6. #2826
    Quote Originally Posted by teenagedreams View Post
    Take a look at Khaman Maluach's performance today in the Basketball African League -- he had 27 pts, 10 rebs and made 2 threes. It was hard to make any conclusions about him from the Nike Hoop Summit, but man, he impressed me here.

    This video shows the entire game as opposed to only Khaman's highlights, but if you want to get an idea of his play, just watch the first 10 mins where he scores his team's first 12 points.
    If he can stay out of foul trouble in the ncaa he is going to be a huge weapon for us on both ends.

    Might not take him too long to adjust either. The nba has done a great job bringing along and developing African/foreign players.

    Also, he looks a better 3 point shooter than Mitchell or Stewart already. Hard to believe he was playing as a forward in that game. Wild.

  7. #2827
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by teenagedreams View Post
    Take a look at Khaman Maluach's performance today in the Basketball African League -- he had 27 pts, 10 rebs and made 2 threes. It was hard to make any conclusions about him from the Nike Hoop Summit, but man, he impressed me here.

    This video shows the entire game as opposed to only Khaman's highlights, but if you want to get an idea of his play, just watch the first 10 mins where he scores his team's first 12 points.
    That's quite a video, for many reasons. Maluach looks quite mobile and he's got a decent looking three point jumper. His teammates don't hesitate in throwing the ball to him on the perimeter.

    It's interesting that he's listed as the starting PF, not the C. The C is 6'10".

    Also, the announcers are better than many NCAA announcers.

    It's going to be fun watching him next season.

  8. #2828
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Reminder that every Duke recruit other than Maluach is going to be playing in the Jordan Brand Classic tomorrow at 4pm ET.

    It appears it will stream on NBA.com: https://www.nba.com/watch/event/jord...d-classic-2024
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  9. #2829
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    That's quite a video, for many reasons. Maluach looks quite mobile and he's got a decent looking three point jumper. His teammates don't hesitate in throwing the ball to him on the perimeter.

    It's interesting that he's listed as the starting PF, not the C. The C is 6'10".

    Also, the announcers are better than many NCAA announcers.

    It's going to be fun watching him next season.
    Really impressive considering he is playing against professionals/grown men. He might actually come in and be able to play 30 minutes (foul trouble aside) and literally dominate the paint.

    The level of basketball is far higher than elite high school bball in the US. This kid might actually surprise a lot of people. At the very least he already knows how to run a pick and roll to perfection and handle physicality

    He can shoot the 3, guard the perimeter and hits free throws. I can see him and cooper being 1 and 2 in the nba draft.

  10. #2830
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Bozeman, MT and Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Really impressive considering he is playing against professionals/grown men. He might actually come in and be able to play 30 minutes (foul trouble aside) and literally dominate the paint.

    The level of basketball is far higher than elite high school bball in the US. This kid might actually surprise a lot of people. At the very least he already knows how to run a pick and roll to perfection and handle physicality

    He can shoot the 3, guard the perimeter and hits free throws. I can see him and cooper being 1 and 2 in the nba draft.
    Splitting the difference between how he looked in the last 2 game highlights I've seen, count me as pretty psyched.

    It's going to be funny watching guys try to score in the paint with him and Flagg in the game.

  11. #2831
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    He can shoot the 3, guard the perimeter and hits free throws. I can see him and cooper being 1 and 2 in the nba draft.
    I’ve seen a lot of skepticism over this guy’s perimeter jump shot. If you watch his tape, he shoots it confidently, without hesitation. From the corner, above the break, top of the key. He will shoot it. This is not a theoretical jump shooter (e.g. Dereck Lively).

    I don’t think he’s nearly as versatile defensively as Dereck. Dereck is maybe the most athletic 7 footer to ever play for Duke. Maluach will probably be more of a drop coverage big, but he’s absolutely going to be a threat on offense, both in the paint and on the perimeter if you leave him open. 27 points against grown men? Come on, this kid is a beast.
    Last edited by kAzE; 04-20-2024 at 05:59 PM.

  12. #2832
    And he runs! He had a Giles@UNC type play where he blocked the shot on one end and sprinted down the court for a fast break alley-oop. Oh boy.

  13. #2833
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    That's quite a video, for many reasons. Maluach looks quite mobile and he's got a decent looking three point jumper. His teammates don't hesitate in throwing the ball to him on the perimeter.

    It's interesting that he's listed as the starting PF, not the C. The C is 6'10".

    Also, the announcers are better than many NCAA announcers.

    It's going to be fun watching him next season.
    And he is so fast to dunk the ball because he has to jump so little. Awesome!

  14. #2834
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Dur'm
    Quote Originally Posted by teenagedreams View Post
    Take a look at Khaman Maluach's performance today in the Basketball African League -- he had 27 pts, 10 rebs and made 2 threes. It was hard to make any conclusions about him from the Nike Hoop Summit, but man, he impressed me here.

    This video shows the entire game as opposed to only Khaman's highlights, but if you want to get an idea of his play, just watch the first 10 mins where he scores his team's first 12 points.
    I finally had a chance to the first quarter of that (too many YouTube-inserted commercials for me to get through the whole thing). Maluach impressed me on the offensive end. He's smooth, has a good stroke, and his length is going to be a problem for defenders. But the game wasn't tremendously physical, and didn't seem to be played at the same pace as most college games, so I wonder if his dominance on that end will translate. I also have some pretty big questions about his defense and rebounding. The entire quarter, they basically played Maluach as a one-man zone in the middle, and he affected remarkably few shots for someone who is 7'2" tall with enormously long arms. He also doesn't seem to be very good at positioning, picking up unnecessary fouls by getting beaten on position and going for the rebound over the top anyway. It's stuff he can learn, but he didn't look to really be quite there, yet.

    One quarter is a small sample, and I'm no expert, but I wonder if there might be a bit of an adjustment period for Maluach at Duke.

  15. #2835
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Bozeman, MT and Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I finally had a chance to the first quarter of that (too many YouTube-inserted commercials for me to get through the whole thing). Maluach impressed me on the offensive end. He's smooth, has a good stroke, and his length is going to be a problem for defenders. But the game wasn't tremendously physical, and didn't seem to be played at the same pace as most college games, so I wonder if his dominance on that end will translate. I also have some pretty big questions about his defense and rebounding. The entire quarter, they basically played Maluach as a one-man zone in the middle, and he affected remarkably few shots for someone who is 7'2" tall with enormously long arms. He also doesn't seem to be very good at positioning, picking up unnecessary fouls by getting beaten on position and going for the rebound over the top anyway. It's stuff he can learn, but he didn't look to really be quite there, yet.

    One quarter is a small sample, and I'm no expert, but I wonder if there might be a bit of an adjustment period for Maluach at Duke.
    Great observations, and my guess would be yes, and have you met Maliq Brown? :-)

  16. #2836
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey

    thoughts on the game

    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I finally had a chance to the first quarter of that (too many YouTube-inserted commercials for me to get through the whole thing). Maluach impressed me on the offensive end. He's smooth, has a good stroke, and his length is going to be a problem for defenders. But the game wasn't tremendously physical, and didn't seem to be played at the same pace as most college games, so I wonder if his dominance on that end will translate. I also have some pretty big questions about his defense and rebounding. The entire quarter, they basically played Maluach as a one-man zone in the middle, and he affected remarkably few shots for someone who is 7'2" tall with enormously long arms. He also doesn't seem to be very good at positioning, picking up unnecessary fouls by getting beaten on position and going for the rebound over the top anyway. It's stuff he can learn, but he didn't look to really be quite there, yet.

    One quarter is a small sample, and I'm no expert, but I wonder if there might be a bit of an adjustment period for Maluach at Duke.
    I'm one step up from you, but understand the jist. Having watched the whole game here are some thoughts:

    1) He's huge... He makes the 6'10 guys look small. In addition to the height his long arms and relatively big frame make him look gigantic.
    2) He's quite mobile- he has a good first step and he is really tough to guard in the pick and roll as his screens are wicked (and perhaps sometimes moving) and then he really dives hard to the basket.
    3) he has really good hand and is a remarkably fast dunker. in part because he doesn't have to jump much in part because he is fluid.
    4) He isn't afraid of physicality. The game was grown men and they let a lot go and he still wasn't getting pushed around much.
    5) His 3 point ability is solid and definitely part of his game. I know he made 2 with a 3rd rimming out. I think he had 2 others that looked rushed so he isn't a dead eye shooter but it looks like its a natural part of his game.
    but also...
    6) He jumped for literally every shot and sometimes that took him out of great defensive rebounding position.
    7) His shot selection was sometimes questionable and he took 2 fade aways that were kinda ugly.
    8) He looked good but there were a lot of points on dunks coming from pick and rolls, considering he scored 27 points it really didn't look like he simply overwhelmed his competition
    9) Agree his shot blocking is solid but nothing spectacular for a guy that big with that reach. Also agree with a past poster that he didn't look like he could switch on everything i see him more in drop coverage.
    10) i did like his physicality but it seemed a little unstructured and the whole game was just officiated a bit differently than here. I saw twice where he used two hands to dislodge an opponent from the paint. That's going to definitely be called here. Now for those who think he won't stand up to the physicality. He looekd good from that POV.

  17. #2837
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by tropical storm View Post
    I'm one step up from you, but understand the jist. Having watched the whole game here are some thoughts:

    1) He's huge... He makes the 6'10 guys look small. In addition to the height his long arms and relatively big frame make him look gigantic.
    2) He's quite mobile- he has a good first step and he is really tough to guard in the pick and roll as his screens are wicked (and perhaps sometimes moving) and then he really dives hard to the basket.
    3) he has really good hand and is a remarkably fast dunker. in part because he doesn't have to jump much in part because he is fluid.
    4) He isn't afraid of physicality. The game was grown men and they let a lot go and he still wasn't getting pushed around much.
    5) His 3 point ability is solid and definitely part of his game. I know he made 2 with a 3rd rimming out. I think he had 2 others that looked rushed so he isn't a dead eye shooter but it looks like its a natural part of his game.
    but also...
    6) He jumped for literally every shot and sometimes that took him out of great defensive rebounding position.
    7) His shot selection was sometimes questionable and he took 2 fade aways that were kinda ugly.
    8) He looked good but there were a lot of points on dunks coming from pick and rolls, considering he scored 27 points it really didn't look like he simply overwhelmed his competition
    9) Agree his shot blocking is solid but nothing spectacular for a guy that big with that reach. Also agree with a past poster that he didn't look like he could switch on everything i see him more in drop coverage.
    10) i did like his physicality but it seemed a little unstructured and the whole game was just officiated a bit differently than here. I saw twice where he used two hands to dislodge an opponent from the paint. That's going to definitely be called here. Now for those who think he won't stand up to the physicality. He looekd good from that POV.
    Yeah, I was really confused by this. It had to be something the coaches wanted him to do, because he was literally jumping up in the paint with his hands up to obscure the rim from jump shooters 15 feet feet away from him. It didn't really work, so I hope we just have him crash the glass instead of whatever that was.

  18. #2838
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Reminder that every Duke recruit other than Maluach is going to be playing in the Jordan Brand Classic tomorrow at 4pm ET.

    It appears it will stream on NBA.com: https://www.nba.com/watch/event/jord...d-classic-2024
    Isaiah Evans, Cooper Flagg, Darren Harris, Kon Knueppel, and Patrick Ngongba are among the 26 players taking part in today's 2024 Jordan Brand Classic. The game will start at 6pm ET. It's not televised, but you can stream it one of three ways:

    1. From the NBA.com website (Jason's link from above)
    2. Using the NBA app
    3. On YouTube here or embedded below



    This video should convert into a full game replay once the live event is over.

  19. #2839
    I’ve been watching a little of the Jordan Brand women’s game. It’s tough, because attendees, viewers, and — by no means least — players on the court are being “entertained” with running “commentary” from a fellow (maybe 2, can’t tell) who is on the court, up and down the sideline. His commentary is, ummm, obnoxious.

    I’ve not seen this “entertaining” addition to basketball. Is this a carryover from WWE or UFC?

  20. #2840
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’ve been watching a little of the Jordan Brand women’s game. It’s tough, because attendees, viewers, and — by no means least — players on the court are being “entertained” with running “commentary” from a fellow (maybe 2, can’t tell) who is on the court, up and down the sideline. His commentary is, ummm, obnoxious.

    I’ve not seen this “entertaining” addition to basketball. Is this a carryover from WWE or UFC?
    Have you seen Jaylen Blakes? His sister, Mikayla, is playing in the game, and he was posting on IG from the game.

Similar Threads

  1. 2025 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 553
    Last Post: Yesterday, 01:06 PM
  2. 2023 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2761
    Last Post: 09-03-2023, 01:56 PM
  3. New take on recruiting... USA Basketball style?
    By Kyrie'sToe in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  4. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
  5. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •