Page 13 of 142 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Lively, Mitchell, and Whitehead are all going to the draft.
    And strong chance Roach will move on as well.

If we keep Proctor and Flip, next year could be a lot of fun. If we keep one of them, we should still be a contender. If we lose both, next year will be more like this year again. maybe a little bit better, but not contenders.

No one on this team, at this time, is worthy of draft consideration. Flaws abound- inconsistent outside shooting, inconsistent defensive skills and team basketball awareness. They seem like a nice group of young men that can't figure out how to play together. Further, a vacuum of on court leadership produces long scoring droughts. I like JS but he has to show this group some 'tough love' or we are destined for the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman79 View Post
    No one on this team, at this time, is worthy of draft consideration. Flaws abound- inconsistent outside shooting, inconsistent defensive skills and team basketball awareness. They seem like a nice group of young men that can't figure out how to play together. Further, a vacuum of on court leadership produces long scoring droughts. I like JS but he has to show this group some 'tough love' or we are destined for the NIT.
    Really, not one of these kids will be drafted? Sounds like a pie bet is in order.

NBA drafts on potential. DW and MM, maybe TP, and even DL as a mobile 7 footer with an ultimately high ceiling are all clearly in play.

Flaws abound in even the top picks in the draft on a regular basis. Just look at last year. Putting Paolo to one side, the next two picks were Chet Holmgren and Jabari Smith. Holmgren had (and still has) major questions about how skinny he is, can he hold up physically, can he hold his position in the paint, does he have the quickness to guard on the perimeter, etc. Jabari Smith had (and still has) questions about his ballhandling, his ability to put the ball on the floor, to create his own shot as opposed to simply catch-and-shoot, etc. Of course the Duke guys have flaws -- more flaws than those two guys for sure. But it won't stop Dariq from being drafted pretty high, and the others to be drafted somewhere by someone.

There's a distinction between whether a player is worthy of being drafted and whether the same person will realistically make a meaningful impact on an NBA team next year. I would not expect any of our current players to be impact players in the NBA immediately, but, as others have pointed out, several have the kind of potential that would interest an NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pfyster View Post
    There's a distinction between whether a player is worthy of being drafted and whether the same person will realistically make a meaningful impact on an NBA team next year. I would not expect any of our current players to be impact players in the NBA immediately, but, as others have pointed out, several have the kind of potential that would interest an NBA team.
    Yeah. This is where I'm at as well. There isn't a Paolo on this team (or even an AJ Griffin). If anything, players like Proctor and Lively will get stashed away in the G-League if they do end up being drafted (Lively being a surefire draft pick in the 1st or 2nd round; Proctor being either 2nd round or not drafted at all).

Whitehead is the unknown. Clearly got a late start to the season and is shooting the ball really well, but not as impactful as forecasted.

Off-season will be interested...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

In a season where Jayson Tatum is averaging 30.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 35 games, is the leading contender for MVP, and arguably the best player in the NBA, I have to laugh when we pontificate at this early date about who "deserves to go in the lottery." Some seem to believe that performance of a frosh in the first half of their first college season should determine draft position. Fortunately for the Celtics, Danny Ainge ignored DBR's opinions in a Thread from a similar time in that seaon (Jan 27, 2017) about Tatum. Some select quotes from that thread:

He seems to consider "transition" offense to mean just scoring in the first 5 seconds after crossing half court. He rushes and forces things and that's his biggest problem.

Let's not forget about the defensive end of the court.[REPLY] Why not? He seem to.😕

I have a feeling that Jayson Tatum's "problem" 'round these parts is that he's no Justise Winslow. But, then again, who is?

He is fairly or unfairly been billed as a one and done top level guy and hasn't lived up to it in the eyes of many so far.

I personally don't see any of the current Duke players in the lottery this year

[If you] just look at what these guys have done in the past three months and base their potential on that, I don't see how any of our guys are in the lottery.

Went #3. Ainge drafted potential. And won the lottery!

I don't see a Jason Tatum in this freshman class.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    But do you see a Jayson Tatum in this freshman class?

As the quotes show, lots of folks didn't see a Jayson Tatum in Jayson Tatum's class. You may be making the same mistake--performance in the first half of a freshman's season has little to do with future NBA potential, viz. Jayson Tatum

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    In a season where Jayson Tatum is averaging 30.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 35 games, is the leading contender for MVP, and arguably the best player in the NBA, I have to laugh when we pontificate at this early date about who "deserves to go in the lottery." Some seem to believe that performance of a frosh in the first half of their first college season should determine draft position. Fortunately for the Celtics, Danny Ainge ignored DBR's opinions in a Thread from a similar time in that seaon (Jan 27, 2017) about Tatum. Some select quotes from that thread:

He seems to consider "transition" offense to mean just scoring in the first 5 seconds after crossing half court. He rushes and forces things and that's his biggest problem.

Let's not forget about the defensive end of the court.[REPLY] Why not? He seem to.😕

I have a feeling that Jayson Tatum's "problem" 'round these parts is that he's no Justise Winslow. But, then again, who is?

He is fairly or unfairly been billed as a one and done top level guy and hasn't lived up to it in the eyes of many so far.

I personally don't see any of the current Duke players in the lottery this year

[If you] just look at what these guys have done in the past three months and base their potential on that, I don't see how any of our guys are in the lottery.

Went #3. Ainge drafted potential. And won the lottery!
    The NBA is such a different game making it hard to project. But players get better and by the end of Tatum’s freshman season he was putting up excellent performances. We will see how this class develops in the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The NBA is such a different game making it hard to project. But players get better and by the end of Tatum’s freshman season he was putting up excellent performances. We will see how this class develops in the next month or so.
    I remember a friend commenting mid-season during Tatum's Duke year that they just didn't see "it" with him yet. I remember responding that while he hadn't really wowed yet, he seemed to "stumble into" 10-15 points and 7 to 10 rebounds every game regardless of how efficient he played or how (un)polished his game looked; and that that was a sign of pure, raw talent (especially considering his height/length) that just hadn't been refined yet. For a 17-18 year old to do that in major conference play was a sign he'd be drafted high and have a solid NBA career, at a minimum.

I admit that even now, watching him as a leading NBA MVP candidate, his game doesn't have the "flash" of a Lebron, Curry, or Durant; but he's so darn efficient in getting off and making shots despite the defense's efforts. Kind of like that gangly 17-18 year old, only more refined...

Liam McNeeley

I read a recent write up from a recruiting guru, and I don't recall exactly who is was but that person seem to think that if Duke amped up the contact with Liam McNeeley that they could be a legit contender.

I watched him play this weekend for MVA and I liked how he played and how he was able to contribute in a variety of ways. Anyone have any insight on if Duke will be more active or if he is in the second tier of 2024 recruits.

Motor Vehicle Administration?

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    I read a recent write up from a recruiting guru, and I don't recall exactly who is was but that person seem to think that if Duke amped up the contact with Liam McNeeley that they could be a legit contender.

I watched him play this weekend for MVA and I liked how he played and how he was able to contribute in a variety of ways. Anyone have any insight on if Duke will be more active or if he is in the second tier of 2024 recruits.
    I saw part of the Montverde Academy game over the weekend on ESPN and I wondered the same thing. He's a knock-down shooter from 3 and a good playmaker. Don't know about his D since I wasn't watching too closely. He could compare to Gradey Dick. https://247sports.com/Player/Liam-McNeeley-46103856/ https://twitter.com/liammcneeley30

2024 Five-Star Liam McNeeley talks latest offers from Michigan, Arkansas

Currently, I believe Duke is targeting SF candidates that are ranked 3 and 4 by ESPN. McNeeley is ranked 15, so he may be not much of a focus unless we miss on Cunningham and Tucker.
    Last edited by BigWayne; 01-19-2023 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    2024 Five-Star Liam McNeeley talks latest offers from Michigan, Arkansas

Currently, I believe Duke is targeting SF candidates that are ranked 3 and 4 by ESPN. McNeeley is ranked 15, so he may be not much of a focus unless we miss on Cunningham and Tucker.
    If you are talking about Nass Cunningham, I believe he is out of focus. I haven't seen Duke linked with McNeely anywhere lately. But there lots of time before the signing period> Recruiting is fluid

Wow!

If you are talking about Nass Cunningham, I believe he is out of focus. I haven't seen Duke linked with McNeely anywhere lately. But there lots of time before the signing period> Recruiting is fluid
    He's so quick he's just a blur?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    He's so quick he's just a blur?
    Have never seen him play. But we are not focused on him anymore. He is more than likely not going to play in college.

I don't see Duke getting involved with McNeeley. Just from a roster perspective, there are a lot of wing options likely to be around in 2024-25.

JR Schutt, SO Power, and FR Harris are all possibly or even likely to be on the roster. Power, to me, is the 3/4 type that is most redundant to McNeeley in skillset and playstyle. Power is a little bigger while McNeeley seems to be a better ball handler at this stage. I think McNeeley would easily start over Schutt and Harris. I also believe the coaching staff is pivoting slightly to plan for having an "older" roster (older in terms of more sophomores and juniors than we have seen lately, not a team of 23 and 24 year-olds). Schutt and Blakes, among others, being significant contributors as upperclassmen, seems to be the plan. I think that's going to squeeze out a guy like McNeeley that Duke might have targeted in the past.

Of course, it's not all multi-year guys. Duke seems to be very serious about Dylan Harper. He's a combo guard and has a similar skillset to McNeeley as a guy that can handle the ball and score as well as make plays for teammates. Harper has made an official visit and been offered. McNeeley has done neither. Perhaps McNeeley is a backup option if Harper cools on Duke?

The other factor here is the loaded top of the Class of 2025. Duke is clearly putting its weight into recruiting Cameron and Cayden Boozer and Cooper Flagg. It's not like Duke is abandoning all one-and-dones. There are a number of scouts that believe Cameron Boozer and Cooper Flagg are the best prospects in high school, even including the top of the Classes of 2023 and 2024. If Duke is able to land those two plus Cayden Boozer, having a team of experienced players around them could result in one of the better Duke teams. In the best-case scenario, landing the Boozers and Flagg might be akin to a team with Paolo Banchero, Jayson Tatum, and Gary Trent, Jr playing alongside a bunch of guys that have been at Duke for 2-4 years with many being plus shooters (Schutt, McCain, Harris, possibly Tyler Betsey - a top 50 F in the Class of 2024 that is known for his shooting - and maybe Power as a JR). If Scheyer can land Boozer and the Flaggs, that might be the year where Jon Scheyer puts his stamp on the program. It might mean sacrificing an opportunity with a guy like Liam McNeeley to get it done.

The Liam McNeely thread has been merged with the 2024 recruiting thread...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?