Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Is Duke not on the list because it hasn’t offered?

This article seems to believe that Duke could become “wild card” team added to his list in the future.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/.amp...e-star-recruit
    Here’s the actual Twitter reference:

“2024 five-star Trentyn Flowers has trimmed his list of 40+ offers down to 13, he tells @On3Recruits.”

Since this is an editing from his 40 offers, I’d agree that he wouldn’t have listed any school that hadn’t offered.

Does that mean we haven’t offered, will never offer, and that he wouldn’t listen if JS & Crew asked for a chat?

From the recent Duke recruiting results, I’d guess that we’re making the final 5 of virtually every 5 star who the staff has assessed as a good fit academically and personally. They need to recruit for need to some extent, but I doubt the staff worries too much about recruiting two super-elite players who play the same position—our coaches have excellent verbal skills, and they can spin a reasonable (and true) narrative in which any two players can be on the court at the same time if they’re good enough. I’d guess that the only real exception might be two 6’ pass-first point guards who are both top five players and intend to be OAD. Maybe 2 old-school centers, but those guys don’t seem to get 5 stars any more.

Anyway, we’re not going to get all of these identified elite players, only partly because we can’t have a 10-person freshman class. Geography, a better connection with another staff, a preference for an on-campus experience that isn’t so Duke-ish, a desire to be the clear go-to player, a transient psychosis, etc.

But until things change with our results or the OAD rules, I’m guessing the Duke staff sweats more about talent assessment and overall team chemistry than about how they might get an individual player to ultimately pull the trigger on a commitment (sounds like the Duke coaches have got their pitch down quite well, probably because they can confidently speak truth while many of their national coaching peers are in perpetual sales mode. At least for the moment, it’s good to be king).
    Last edited by johnb; 10-16-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Looks like Darren Harris will be making his college choice on Saturday. He visited Duke over the weekend. I'd guess we have a strong chance here - same school as Roach/Keels.

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/s...M4F7mecO2lhxVw

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Looks like Darren Harris will be making his college choice on Saturday. He visited Duke over the weekend. I'd guess we have a strong chance here - same school as Roach/Keels.

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/s...M4F7mecO2lhxVw
    It seems that Darren heard what he felt he needed to hear over the weekend. Adding a player that some consider the best shooter in his class would certainly be a good start to the Class of 2024.

Any time a kid visits and then immediately announces he will be making his college choice, you have to feel good about your chances.

3 picks on the 247 crystal ball... all of them for Duke (including one guy who is a Maryland insider).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So we have worry about the 2021 NBA lockout and CBA wrt draft age/eligibility?
    Or do you mean 2031?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Or do you mean 2031?
    Kudos for bringing back a post from 2011 by one of my favorite posters (who we haven't heard from in way too long).

Harris would be a great first pickup for the class. 6-6 SF sharpshooter. 45 ranking so very likely a multi year guy. With Schutt and Power and Harris, there definitely seems to be a new recruiting trend to get multi year guys who can fill it up from 3. I’m a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Harris would be a great first pickup for the class. 6-6 SF sharpshooter. 45 ranking so very likely a multi year guy. With Schutt and Power and Harris, there definitely seems to be a new recruiting trend to get multi year guys who can fill it up from 3. I’m a fan.
    Many of the long-time fans that lamented the days of only going after one-and-dones should pay attention to the recruiting approach under Scheyer. We'll see if he can hit the sweet spot between the studs (Lively, Whitehead, Mgbako, et al.) and some of the multi-year guys like Schutt, Reeves, Power, and Harris. The bugaboo is keeping everyone happy. So far, so good.

I think there is a needle to thread. If he can sign a couple of these strong multi year guys early every year, then 1-2 OADs will naturally fill out the class and we are headed into the season with 3-4 experienced starters. The transfer portal provides a safety net if there’s an unexpected transfer or we miss on a key target.

If Coach is moving to this strategy, I think we will see it play out with this 2024 class. And with Power, Schutt, Blakes, Reeves and maybe others in the stable, I don’t think it has to be a big down year for us to make the transition away from all-in on OADs.

Edit: this is pure speculation but how do you get Schutt and Power to sign on, and maybe Harris, when in the recent past we’d have recruited over them every year? You commit to them that the recruiting approach is changing with the 2024 class.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I think there is a needle to thread. If he can sign a couple of these strong multi year guys early every year, then 1-2 OADs will naturally fill out the class and we are headed into the season with 3-4 experienced starters. The transfer portal provides a safety net if there’s an unexpected transfer or we miss on a key target.

If Coach is moving to this strategy, I think we will see it play out with this 2024 class. And with Power, Schutt, Blakes, Reeves and maybe others in the stable, I don’t think it has to be a big down year for us to make the transition away from all-in on OADs.

Edit: this is pure speculation but how do you get Schutt and Power to sign on, and maybe Harris, when in the recent past we’d have recruited over them every year? You commit to them that the recruiting approach is changing with the 2024 class.
    You also tell him that that previous coach did not know what he was doing and a regime change is good for the new recruits

Jamie Shaw of On3 has a breakdown of Darren Harris ahead of the scheduled commitment (Saturday at 2:30 p.m. Eastern). He is known as a deadly shooter and at 6'5" will primarily be a wing in college. On3 gives Duke a strong chance to land the Paul VI high school junior. That, plus all the Crystal Balls from 247 following his official visit last weekend, gives the impression that he has informed the coaching staff that he will become the first commit of the Class of 2024.

So what is Duke getting in Harris (unless something shocking happens...)? Shooting and plenty of it. Harris is not an elite athlete. The On3 scouting report matches with the few highlight clips I could find of the young man. He isn't going to wow you with his speed in transition or handles. He does seem to have a high basketball IQ and finds the hit-ahead pass in transition and uses quick ball fakes and jab steps to create space or open looks for his teammates. Other elements of Harris's game, such as team defense and improving his handle, may come in time. Harris projects as a multi-year player in college. Along with Jaden Schutt and TJ Power, Harris should form a group of high-level shooters on the wings for Duke. Jared McCain and Caleb Foster are also known as accurate shooters, for what it is worth. If all of Foster, McCain, Schutt, Harris, and Power are on the roster in 2024-25, then Duke might be able to field one of the best shooting teams in the nation.

https://www.on3.com/news/darren-harr...mi-ohio-state/

Jamie Shaw of On3 provided an update on Naas Cunningham, one of the top wings in the Class of 2024. Cunningham recently joined the OTE program but has maintained his college eligibility. He says Duke, along with Arkansas, Kansas, and Texas, stick out the most so far. Cunningham, a New Jersey native, says he models his game after Jayson Tatum. Of the four team mentioned, it seems that the Duke coaching staff has been in contact for the longest period of time while the others are in more formative stages of relationship development.

https://www.on3.com/news/naas-cunnin...-kansas-texas/

New Offer Alert: Tyler Betsey

Tyler Betsey, a 6'8" F from Connecticut/NY Rens AAU program, announced on twitter that he was blessed to receive an offer from Duke University! Betsey is ranked 84th in the Class of 2024 by 247Sports. I bet you can guess a few things about him already. Yes, he is considered a good shooter. Yes, he is someone that might be a late bloomer/high riser. I also think that there is a need for another multi-year player in the frontcourt, someone that can slot in between Jaden Schutt and Darren Harris on the wings and Christian Reeves up front. Betsey might be that guy.

Here's a compilation video of highlights from his sophomore year at Windsor High School.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Tyler Betsey, a 6'8" F from Connecticut/NY Rens AAU program, announced on twitter that he was blessed to receive an offer from Duke University! Betsey is ranked 84th in the Class of 2024 by 247Sports. I bet you can guess a few things about him already. Yes, he is considered a good shooter. Yes, he is someone that might be a late bloomer/high riser. I also think that there is a need for another multi-year player in the frontcourt, someone that can slot in between Jaden Schutt and Darren Harris on the wings and Christian Reeves up front. Betsey might be that guy.

Here's a compilation video of highlights from his sophomore year at Windsor High School.
    Someone has to do it...

Heavens to Betsey, that kid can shoot!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

For those wondering about the recruit in the stands yesterday...

It was 5* Isaiah Evans, currently a Top 20 recruit in his class. Doesn't have a Duke offer yet, but certainly seemed to have a ball.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...brandon-ingram
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on scottdude8 again.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8;1540469
    For those wondering about the recruit in the stands yesterday...
    It was 5* Isaiah Evans, currently a Top 20 recruit in his class. Doesn't have a Duke offer yet, but certainly seemed to have a ball.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...brandon-ingram
    Thanks - As a matter of fact, I was wondering

UNC received a major commitment from 6’1” PG Elliot Cadeau out of NJ. Known as a pass-first guy. Five-star. UNC beat out some high profile programs for him, including Kansas. Kid leaving his options open to reclass to 23 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    UNC received a major commitment from 6’1” PG Elliot Cadeau out of NJ. Known as a pass-first guy. Five-star. UNC beat out some high profile programs for him, including Kansas. Kid leaving his options open to reclass to 23 as well.
    Sounds like a good pickup for them. He is from the same town in northern NJ as Kyrie (which is a short drive from the CNC birthplace museum...). He is currently playing at Link Academy in Branson, MO. His dad is Haitian (his last name means "gift" in French) and his mom is Swedish so he is involved in the Swedish national team. He also seems to have a pretty solid NIL game with his own web site and he ran a skills camp in NJ on Monday.

https://www.elliotcadeau.com/

Four star big man James Brown (Duke kicked the tires on him a bit, leading to several amusing jokes about his name earlier in this thread) has committed to the wrong shade of Blue and will be joining what is shaping up as Hubert's best recruiting class.

PG - Elliot Cadeau, 247's #10 recruit
    C- James Brown, 247's #27 recruit
    SF - Drake Powell, 247's #50 recruit

The Heels are also very much in it for 247's #13 player, PF Jarin Stevenson. Considering Hubert has so far only gotten 2 recruits out of the 2023 class and his 2022 recruits are not playing all that much for this very experienced Carolina team, he likely needed to make a splash in 2024.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Four star big man James Brown (Duke kicked the tires on him a bit, leading to several amusing jokes about his name earlier in this thread) has committed to the wrong shade of Blue and will be joining what is shaping up as Hubert's best recruiting class.

PG - Elliot Cadeau, 247's #10 recruit
    C- James Brown, 247's #27 recruit
    SF - Drake Powell, 247's #50 recruit

The Heels are also very much in it for 247's #13 player, PF Jarin Stevenson. Considering Hubert has so far only gotten 2 recruits out of the 2023 class and his 2022 recruits are not playing all that much for this very experienced Carolina team, he likely needed to make a splash in 2024.
    Assuming UNC boosters don't break the bank with even more crazy NIL deals, one would have to think the Tar Heels are going to be facing major attrition after this year. With that in mind, the makeup of their 2023-24 squad will be very interesting, since you have to squint very hard to see anyone who might be an immediate producer currently on the roster (outside the starting five... maybe RJ Davis, given his diminutive stature, is the only one with a >50% chance of returning?). So, will Davis hit the portal hard to get a more competitive squad and risk forcing out his current young talent (or, if he gets a recruit with more eligibility, put his 2024 class in jeopardy)? Or will he go into 2023 as a building year and hope he develops key pieces to compliment a more Carolina-like 2024 class? If it's the latter, how much patience will the fans have?

I think next year is going to be key to get an idea of Davis' long-term philosophy and, in turn, his long-term viability in Chapel Hill.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!