Page 1 of 122 1231151101 ... LastLast

2024 Men's Basketball Recruiting

I am totally serious about this.

There is a 5-year-old kid who is playing, and playing well, against 3rd and 4th graders (kids 4-5 years older than him). He is from Maine and is supposedly one of the 20 or so best players in the 3rd/4th age group in Maine... even though he is 4-5 years younger than everyone else in that age group.

His father coaches an AAU team that just won the AAU 19U national title... and the 5-year old is on the team's roster. He does not play much, but he does get into games and he apparently is not totally lost when he does.

Ready for the best part? His dream is to play PG for Duke!!!

--Jason "Wojo or Dawkins or Amaker or Battier... whoever is next after K... needs to get this kid on their radar " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So we have worry about the 2021 NBA lockout and CBA wrt draft age/eligibility?

Just bought the kids Duke jersey and season tickets for 2024-2027

He's so tiny, he doesn't even have enough space in between his legs to dribble a ball through them hahaha. I can't see how he could actually contribute in a real AAU game, there's no way he's fast enough to make any defender break a sweat and you can block his shot by extending your arm forward. Plus, if he's guarding you, you can literally jump over him with extreme ease. Maybe in 12 years, this becomes a story, but this is hoping for too much right now.

Let's just make sure we only contact him after his nap is completely over, and not when he merely wakes up for a few minutes before going back to sleep. I know, it's a gray area as to when one nap is over and another begins, but better safe than sorry.

Eh, not really a fan. Very low release point on his jumper and way too much arm, seems to play almost completely below the rim, and his lateral quickness will have to improve fairly significantly before he can guard ACC-level PGs.

All seriousness, hope this kid turns out okay, like, as a person. Hopefully he gets a childhood to go along with those insane handles...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    All seriousness, hope this kid turns out okay, like, as a person. Hopefully he gets a childhood to go along with those insane handles...
    Ditto and thanks for saying it. Some of these kids get a childhood, but plenty don't. And lots get the hype just like this kid is getting now and you never hear from them again. Not that it doesn't mean they haven't gone on to lead a decent life, but they were brought up for success and it has to affect them that so many eyes were on them when it didn't pan out the way the adults in their lives expected.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Fantastic. Another short, white point guard who can't drive. On the plus side he'll be able to get a learners permit in a decade.

I'm here all week folks.

Seriously though, I hope that his dad is grounded enough to give him an actual childhood. Wild story.

How many cinder-blocks tall is he, and what is his femur:height ratio? Let's get on to the serious analysis!!!!

Recruiting him could be tough. We will face the inevitable whispers that coach K is past his prime, hair color notwithstanding.

I hear Vermont has him locked in

after his campus visit included a tour of Ben and Jerry's...

Not athletic enough...

Great. Another Pampered athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    Fantastic. Another short, white point guard who can't drive. ...
    But it seems he has the leadership skills and basketball knowledge we covet, is he our next "big man" coach?

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    Seriously though, I hope that his dad is grounded enough to give him an actual childhood. Wild story.
    I think that notion went out the window when his dad decided to put him on the roster of the U19 team he was coaching.

Hey, if nothing else, the kid will be able to put on dribbling exhibitions for a career. Sorta reminds me of Sean Miller when he was a youngster.

-Jason "I recall Clark 'In The Dark' Francis used to rank 7th graders -- ludicrous!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My 3 year old aint quite on this kids level yet but he has learned B-E-E-F and we practice perfect form everyday before he is allowed to relase the ball. Maybe we can put him on the radar?

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    My 3 year old aint quite on this kids level yet but he has learned B-E-E-F and we practice perfect form everyday before he is allowed to relase the ball. Maybe we can put him on the radar?
    Please keep Class of 2026 recruiting news out of the Class of 2024 thread.

--Jason "just modding a bit" Evans

I tried to arrange an interview but his handler said he only communicates via Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I tried to arrange an interview but his handler said he only communicates via Skype.
    Dump him now. We only want kids that are smart enough to keep up with technology. The new Google allows multi-person video conferencing and has some cool features, like the LOUDEST person is afforded the center window with the other conferencees in perimeter windows.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Best thing about the kid?

He's from that noted recruiting hotbed of Maine.

(We are talking about hockey, right?)