Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

NBA 2023-2024 General Discussion Thread

Sorry to post this here, but for some reason I'm not seeing the regular NBA thread. Came to see if anyone was talking about the Harden trade, but can't find the thread anywhere. I see the now closed off-season NBA thread, and this one, but not the general one. Did something happen to it, or am I just missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Sorry to post this here, but for some reason I'm not seeing the regular NBA thread. Came to see if anyone was talking about the Harden trade, but can't find the thread anywhere. I see the now closed off-season NBA thread, and this one, but not the general one. Did something happen to it, or am I just missing it?
    I don’t think there is one yet.

Harden in LA is going to be a dumpster fire. Once Kawhi and/ or PG get hurt, Harden and Westbrook will be running that team, and we’ve seen what that looks like.

PHI got back a pu-pu platter. If the over/ under on Embiid wanting out is 12 months, I’ll take the under.

And it actually makes me angry that Nic Batum is still in the league. Dude completely phoned in his last few years with the Hornets.

Oh. Is it worth discussing? Harden whined about his current team and situation he got moved to a team of his choosing? Again?

Yawn.

Wake me up for the, uh, midseason tournament thingy. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Oh. Is it worth discussing? Harden whined about his current team and situation he got moved to a team of his choosing? Again?

Yawn.

Wake me up for the, uh, midseason tournament thingy. I guess.
    The court designs will wake you up. Possibly blind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

Harden in LA is going to be a dumpster fire. Once Kawhi and/ or PG get hurt, Harden and Westbrook will be running that team, and we’ve seen what that looks like.

PHI got back a pu-pu platter. If the over/ under on Embiid wanting out is 12 months, I’ll take the under.

And it actually makes me angry that Nic Batum is still in the league. Dude completely phoned in his last few years with the Hornets.
    Problem is that of the big 4, two of them don't talk. That's kind of a problem, as communication is key to the success of any team.

But it's going to be fun while it lasts. All four guys are from LA originally, and all can take over a game any night of the week. So if there are enough basketballs to go around, the West just got more interesting!

LOL on there not being one yet. I'm sure that's the case. At first I thought I was being gas-lighted.

I agree that the Harden to LA thing will be yet another debacle. Not going to work at all, imho.

Ask (even indirectly) and ye shall receive.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Ask (even indirectly) and ye shall receive.
    Thanks.

After only a little more than a week of the regular season, we have only two undefeated teams left - The Celtics and the Mavs (both anchored by Dukies). Kyrie's been out recently for Dallas, but Lively has been starting and contributing!

If Boston can avoid any serious injuries to their top six players they have the potential for a special season. But health is a must because the bench still needs bolstering (something they need to do by the trade deadline).

If Boston can avoid any serious injuries to their top six players they have the potential for a special season. But health is a must because the bench still needs bolstering (something they need to do by the trade deadline).
    Porzingis is the guy you worry about with injuries. I’m sure he’ll miss games here and there, but they need him to not miss an extended stretch.

My expectations for the bench were very low, but it hasn’t been TOO bad so far. They get almost no scoring from the 2nd unit but so far they’ve given decent minutes without being a drain.

Watched Wemby last night against the Suns and my goodness is he fun. That looked like a game the Spurs were 100% about to blow when the Suns tied it at 116 and then boom - Wemby draws a foul, makes 1 of 2; draws another and makes both; nails a 3 from the top of the key; takes a possession off for Zach Collins to score; pulls another deep 3; and then drops an 18-footer. All the while scaring people out of the paint on the other end - he just looms as a defensive presence.

Earlier in the game there were lob plays - including a backcut from the 3-point line on the wing where he passed the ball to the top of the key, immediately broke to the hoop for the lob, got there in basically 2 steps and laid it in - transition dunks, and post passes where the point guard just tosses the ball high in the air where only Wemby can get it.

The team may not go far, he's going to have up and down games for sure, I'm still worried he's going to get hurt, but it's already appointment television.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Watched Wemby last night against the Suns and my goodness is he fun. That looked like a game the Spurs were 100% about to blow when the Suns tied it at 116 and then boom - Wemby draws a foul, makes 1 of 2; draws another and makes both; nails a 3 from the top of the key; takes a possession off for Zach Collins to score; pulls another deep 3; and then drops an 18-footer. All the while scaring people out of the paint on the other end - he just looms as a defensive presence.

Earlier in the game there were lob plays - including a backcut from the 3-point line on the wing where he passed the ball to the top of the key, immediately broke to the hoop for the lob, got there in basically 2 steps and laid it in - transition dunks, and post passes where the point guard just tosses the ball high in the air where only Wemby can get it.

The team may not go far, he's going to have up and down games for sure, I'm still worried he's going to get hurt, but it's already appointment television.
    Last night showed how dominate he can be. We will see how he does against better defensive teams but you are right that injuries are the biggest concerns. That dunk where he received the pass at the top of the key and never had to dribble was ridiculous.

Yup. They’re in OT against the Raptors right now, and it’s just amazing to watch. Wemby is raw but seemingly capable of doing something you’ve never seen before at will.

The Spurs aren’t good, exactly, but they are super fun to watch.

Yup. They’re in OT against the Raptors right now, and it’s just amazing to watch. Wemby is raw but seemingly capable of doing something you’ve never seen before at will.

The Spurs aren’t good, exactly, but they are super fun to watch.
    Unfortunately the Spurs, one of my new favorite teams (��), lost in OT. Tre played crunch minutes in the 4th and OT. But I have to admit the Dennis Schroder kind of wore him out. First time I’ve seen Tre struggle a little bit both offensively and defensively this season thanks to pressure from the opposing guard. He was very average today. Made some great plays, but also allowed Schroder to get downhill a few too many times and take the ball out of his hands with tremendous full court ball denial.

In spite of giving up a big lead and losing today, the Spurs are set for the future with Wemby. He really is a generational talent.

Our guy, Grayson Allen, is having himself a whale of a game tonight in Chicago.

This makes me happy. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Our guy, Grayson Allen, is having himself a whale of a game tonight in Chicago.

This makes me happy. 😊
    You weren't kidding!

Suns 116, Bulls 115 (box score, game highlights)

Allen (Suns starter, 37 min): 26 pts (9-16 FG, 8-13 3PT), 9 reb, 4 ast, 1 stl, 2 blk

Those eight 3-pointers are a career high. The team compiled these player-specific highlights:

Bradley Beal returned to the lineup, while Devin Booker should return soon. So while this is a temporary set of starters, I've never seen a box score where all five put up at least 3 rebounds and 3 assists:

Allen 26-9-4
    Bates-Diop 7-5-3
    Beal 13-4-4
    Durant 25-6-9
    Nurkic 20-17-8

Josh Okogie and Eric Gordon came off the bench, so it looks like Phoenix has at least some confidence in Grayson to fill in as a starter when Beal or Booker are out.

So that's the good news. And now the bad news. In Tuesday's Clippers-Knicks game, Julius Randle collided with Mason Plumlee, who went down in some pain. Here's the video.

NBC Sports: Clippers' Mason Plumlee out indefinitely with sprained right knee

This is a blow to the Clippers’ rotation, Plumlee is averaging 5 points and 5.5 rebounds in 17 minutes a night. He has been an important part of their bench rotation — against the Knicks he was +10 in a game the Clippers lost by 14 (the Knicks pulled away for the win at the start of the fourth with Plumlee out).
    Law Murray @LawMurrayTheNU

Mason Plumlee is with the team today here in Brooklyn. On crutches with the leg brace. But he is in good spirits and obviously thankful not to have had a more serious injury

5:29 PM · Nov 8, 2023
    Ohm Youngmisuk @NotoriousOHM

With Mason Plumlee (left MCL sprain) in a full leg brace and looking at a six-to-eight week recovery, Clippers have PJ Tucker in as the first big off the bench tonight.

6:57 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You weren't kidding!

Suns 116, Bulls 115 (box score, game highlights)

Allen (Suns starter, 37 min): 26 pts (9-16 FG, 8-13 3PT), 9 reb, 4 ast, 1 stl, 2 blk

Those eight 3-pointers are a career high. The team compiled these player-specific highlights:

Bradley Beal returned to the lineup, while Devin Booker should return soon. So while this is a temporary set of starters, I've never seen a box score where all five put up at least 3 rebounds and 3 assists:

Allen 26-9-4
    Bates-Diop 7-5-3
    Beal 13-4-4
    Durant 25-6-9
    Nurkic 20-17-8

Josh Okogie and Eric Gordon came off the bench, so it looks like Phoenix has at least some confidence in Grayson to fill in as a starter when Beal or Booker are out.

So that's the good news. And now the bad news. In Tuesday's Clippers-Knicks game, Julius Randle collided with Mason Plumlee, who went down in some pain. Here's the video.

NBC Sports: Clippers' Mason Plumlee out indefinitely with sprained right knee
    Thanks, Brevity, for the video. Grayson has great form on his 3 pointers. That video would be a good teaching tool for the Duke perimeter players. Grayson had a few good defensive plays in the video as well. He's one of my favorites.

GoDuke!

Okay, last night somebody named Jordan Hawkins scored 25 pts (5-12 from 3-pt) with 6 rebounds and 3 assists for New Orleans as they beat the 8-2 Dallas Mavericks by 21 points.

The Pelicans might have a legit player here. This bears watching.

Okay, last night somebody named Jordan Hawkins scored 25 pts (5-12 from 3-pt) with 6 rebounds and 3 assists for New Orleans as they beat the 8-2 Dallas Mavericks by 21 points.

I’ve watched a few of the Pelicans games and you can understand why UConn was so good last season if I didn’t even know Hawkins was on that team. Definitely playing like a 1st team all-rookie player.

Up here in the mountains, bear watching is a legit hobby.