Page 128 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2826
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    He should be the 5th "big," if we count Cooper as a big and we get a veteran transfer big (which I would argue is necessary, even with a fully healthy Pat Ngongba).
    Yeah, I count Cooper, Sean, and Malauch as "bigs" right now. As always I worry if getting a transfer big would be seen as recruiting "over" Pat, who projects as the type of multi-year big that I think we all want. But if his injury is going to limit his productivity this year and we get a grad transfer as the 4th big (keeping the pathway to Ngongba getting major minutes as a sophomore open), I'm all for it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yeah, I count Cooper, Sean, and Malauch as "bigs" right now. As always I worry if getting a transfer big would be seen as recruiting "over" Pat, who projects as the type of multi-year big that I think we all want. But if his injury is going to limit his productivity this year and we get a grad transfer as the 4th big (keeping the pathway to Ngongba getting major minutes as a sophomore open), I'm all for it.
    I just would not feel comfortable if all of our center options are freshmen. I could see Stewart playing some center, but I'm not sure how viable that is as a regular thing. Are we sure Ryan Young is out of eligibility?

The major thing our front court appears to lack is a big, physical interior presence. A guy who can get in there and mix it up with the Bacot and Burns types. Someone who can be the "enforcer," just get in there and use all 5 of his fouls and send a message that we won't be pushed around. We don't have that guy right now.

I just would not feel comfortable if all of our center options are freshmen. I could see Stewart playing some center, but I'm not sure how viable that is as a regular thing. Are we sure Ryan Young is out of eligibility?

The major thing our front court appears to lack is a big, brawny interior presence. A guy who can get in there and mix it up with the Bacot and Burns types. Someone who can be the "enforcer," just get in there and use all 5 of his fouls and send a message that we won't be pushed around. We don't have that guy right now.
    This. It's incredibly risky to roll into a season where teams are running 23/24 year old bigs with just an inexperienced and undersized sophomore and 3 freshmen (of whom only one is remotely beefy, and that one may be limited physically).

And yes, Ryan Young is out of eligibility. He has used his 5 years.

The major thing our front court appears to lack is a big, physical interior presence. A guy who can get in there and mix it up with the Bacot and Burns types. Someone who can be the "enforcer," just get in there and use all 5 of his fouls and send a message that we won't be pushed around. We don't have that guy right now.
    This is Jon's quandary on short term vs long term roster building. Bringing in a beefy portal big for next season might help the team, but if it costs us 2-3 years of Stewart or 3-4 years of Ngongba then it's not worth it IMO. A big-body practice big would be another story.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    If he’s recovered already enough to be playing this weekend, why would his productivity be limited 6 months from now? Unless he has some sort of setback or re-injury there’s no reason he won’t be 100%. The body heals. Especially young athletic bodies.

The three of Stewart, Muluach, and Ngongba will be fine at center. That's two freshman and 1 sophomore, not unlike our 2015 squad.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    The three of Stewart, Muluach, and Ngongba will be fine at center. That's two freshman and 1 sophomore, not unlike our 2015 squad.
    Uh we may be fine. But lets get real. None of those three is a 6’11”
    270 lb consensus first team All-American like Jah was. Not even remotely close.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And we also aren’t remotely in the same era of college basketball. Between the COVID year and freedom of transfers, players are older, and other good teams are stockpiling more of these older, more physical bigs.

Also, Plumlee was a redshirt junior as our backup center that year.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I've seen Maluach projected as high as the third pick in the NBA draft at 7-1. Let's be honest. We have no idea what we're getting with this kid. Is he Mark Williams freshman year or is he the second coming of Wemby? Somewhere in between...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I've seen Maluach projected as high as the third pick in the NBA draft at 7-1. Let's be honest. We have no idea what we're getting with this kid. Is he Mark Williams freshman year or is he the second coming of Wemby? Somewhere in between...
    Beginning of Mark’s freshman year or end?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Beginning of Mark’s freshman year or end?
    I would expect the end considering where the respective ratings are. Malauch is a top 5 recruit in most years including 2024.

Highlights from the Mickey D's game. I've started it where Flagg hits a 3, followed up by a crazy block. Prepare to pick your jaw up from the floor: https://youtu.be/SJ3u6qghBPI?t=191

Seeing some very encouraging stuff from Darren Harris in the IMG vs. Paul IV game on espnu. His shooting stroke looks effortless and looks like he has some shot creation skills as well. Don't know if any of this will translate into being able to contribute year 1, but he's bringing something.

I just started watching it in the 2nd half so I have no impression of Ngongba. I understand this is his very first game back from surgery. Only thing I can tell so far is that he is one big dude, he's not skinny.

Edit:
    Harris is really on fire in this game. Anybody here who might be watching is really going to be pleased.
    Last edited by jipops; 04-04-2024 at 03:02 PM.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

What’s the upcoming schedule of our recruits playing?

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Seeing some very encouraging stuff from Darren Harris in the IMG vs. Paul IV game on espnu. His shooting stroke looks effortless and looks like he has some shot creation skills as well. Don't know if any of this will translate into being able to contribute year 1, but he's bringing something.

I just started watching it in the 2nd half so I have no impression of Ngongba. I understand this is his very first game back from surgery. Only thing I can tell so far is that he is one big dude, he's not skinny.

Edit:
    Harris is really on fire in this game. Anybody here who might be watching is really going to be pleased.
    Agree with all this. I’ll post at end of Paul VI game.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Maybe this thread is a good spot to list upcoming HS All-Star games, with Duke’s ‘24 recruits. Overall, all 6 of our guys are playing in at least one AS game. (Not sure about Ngongba II’s injury?) Flagg and Evans are everywhere. Two of Duke’s women recruits and a major prospect will play several times, too.

Men

McDonald’s — April 2 (tonight), 9 EDT, ESPN — Flagg, Evans

Nike Hoop Summit — Saturday, April 13, 10 EDT, FS1 — Flagg, Evans, Ngongba II (US); Maluach (World)

Jordan Brand Classic — Sunday, April 21, 4? EDT, TV/streaming?? — Flagg, Evans, Knueppel, Ngongba II, Harris

Allen Iverson Roundball Classic — Saturday, May 4, 7 EDT, TV/streaming?? — Flagg, Evans, Ngongba II

Women

McDonald’s — April 2 (tonight), 6:30 EDT, ESPN2 — Roberson; also Sarah Strong, #1, Duke prospect

Nike Hoop Summit — Saturday, April 13, 7:30 EDT, FS1 — Roberson, also Strong (US); Fournier (World)

Jordan Brand Classic — Sunday, April 21, time/TV?? — Fournier; also Strong

ETA — No idea where that emoji came from ...
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    What’s the upcoming schedule of our recruits playing?
    Asked and answered. Or the DBR version: answered and asked.

Thanks for the reminder the game is on! Harris is built well. Kinda seems like Gary Trent Jr in intensity and shooting although not as highly rated.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post

Edit:
    Every single time I hear about Darren Harris, he's dropped 60 points or something. I don't understand how he's been consistently ranked so low. I admittedly haven't been following him as closely. I assume he's just not an outstanding athlete/defender or something, because his scoring seems to be just fine.

Checking in on Chipotle [ex-Geico] Nationals, 8 top HS teams. Paul VI, 2-seed, with Darren Harris and Patrick Ngongba II.

https://chipotlenationals.com/

Harris, wing, probably 6’5”, is an ever-willing shooter, mostly but not only from 3. Wouldn’t call him a gunner, just always ready and looking. Willing passer, too. Handle ok, not excellent. Ditto D. Has not been subbed out. He can definitely shoot from everywhere; maybe streaky. FTs are swish. Nice floater at one point. Smart cut for dunk, on pass from Ngongba II, no less. Couple of good passes. On fire 3d quarter. Top scorer in the game — 36 points. Apparently a riser in rankings. Certainly looks top 30-ish, more than in ‘50s.

Ngongba II’s first game since last Fall, so he can’t play more than a few minutes consecutively. Patrick is a big, big fellow. Not a focus of Paul VI’s O in this game. He did show a surprising, impressive stutter drive across the lane and soft layup for 2. Good footwork maybe. He’s real big.

Every single time I hear about Darren Harris, he's dropped 60 points or something. I don't understand how he's been consistently ranked so low. I admittedly haven't been following him as closely. I assume he's just not an outstanding athlete/defender or something, because his scoring seems to be just fine.
    He can score, averages around 20 ppg. Not overly athletic.