#1 overall in NBA draft & ACC Player of the Year

Recent article talked about how Duke has to replace the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft *and* the ACC Player of the Year. Checked to see when the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft from an ACC school (10 #1 overall from ACC) was not also the ACC Player of the Year (happened 4 times).

#1 overall ... ACC POY

2011: Kyrie ... Nolan Smith
    1999: Elton ...
    1997: Duncan ...
    1995: Joe S. ...
    1986: Brad D ... Len Bias
    1983: Ralph ...
    1982: Worthy ... Ralph Sampson
    1976: Lucas ... Mitch Kupchak
    1975: David T ...
    1963: Art Heyman ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Recent article talked about how Duke has to replace the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft *and* the ACC Player of the Year. Checked to see when the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft from an ACC school (10 #1 overall from ACC) was not also the ACC Player of the Year (happened 4 times).

#1 overall ... ACC POY

2011: Kyrie ... Nolan Smith
    1999: Elton ...
    1997: Duncan ...
    1995: Joe S. ...
    1986: Brad D ... Len Bias
    1983: Ralph ...
    1982: Worthy ... Ralph Sampson
    1976: Lucas ... Mitch Kupchak
    1975: David T ...
    1963: Art Heyman ...
    I know what you're trying to do, but its kind of a moot comparison since Kyrie didn't play a single ACC game.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I know what you're trying to do, but its kind of a moot comparison since Kyrie didn't play a single ACC game.
    Then I guess you don't know what I was trying to do at all, as I was not 'comparing' anything, simply exploring whether other years produced a #1 overall pick, and if the same player won ACC POY, and if not, why ... not a comparison of one year to another at all, moreso way to focus on a single year and the circumstances that led to the outcome. This year is very easily understood; as is when Worthy was #1 overall but underclassman Sampson won POY. The Brad Daugherty/Len Bias is interesting: I thought Bias was transcendent and would've picked him #1 overall no matter my short term NBA team needs or desire for a solid big man (and would, of course, have suffered the horrible consequences). The exercise made me focus on 1976: Kupchak was a very solid player -- 17 some pts and 11 rebs for the first place team, but he had a lot of help in Phil Ford (who scored more), and Walter Davis, who scored almost exactly the same amount. Lucas's MD team was a distant 2nd place. Wally Walker ended up going #5 overall (higher than Mitch's #13), and scored 22 pts game and shot 55% I believe, but UVa was #6 in the conf (... that went on to win the ACCT).

Then I guess you don't know what I was trying to do at all, as I was not 'comparing' anything, simply exploring whether other years produced a #1 overall pick, and if the same player won ACC POY, and if not, why ... not a comparison of one year to another at all, moreso way to focus on a single year and the circumstances that led to the outcome. This year is very easily understood; as is when Worthy was #1 overall but underclassman Sampson won POY. The Brad Daugherty/Len Bias is interesting: I thought Bias was transcendent and would've picked him #1 overall no matter my short term NBA team needs or desire for a solid big man (and would, of course, have suffered the horrible consequences). The exercise made me focus on 1976: Kupchak was a very solid player -- 17 some pts and 11 rebs for the first place team, but he had a lot of help in Phil Ford (who scored more), and Walter Davis, who scored almost exactly the same amount. Lucas's MD team was a distant 2nd place. Wally Walker ended up going #5 overall (higher than Mitch's #13), and scored 22 pts game and shot 55% I believe, but UVa was #6 in the conf (... that went on to win the ACCT).
    Thank you. This was very informative.
    April 1

Then I guess you don't know what I was trying to do at all,
    I thought you'd found another way to place Nolan in some pretty rarified company.

Nolan's play placed him in good company. Checked to see pro b'ball longevity of ACC POYs. Somewhat interesting (pro (NBA/ABA) years from basketball-reference):

0: Pucillo, Griffin, Bias, Carrawell
    1: Brennan, Monroe, Vasquez (active)
    2: Hemric, Shavlik, Rosenbluth, Forte, Hodge, Hansbrough (active), Lawson (active)
    3: Shaffer, Vacendak, Davis, Parkhill
    4: Dudley (active)
    5: Redick (active)
    6: Heyman
    7: Miller, Ford, Dixon
    8: Roche, Howard (active)
    9: Thompson, Kupchak, King, Sampson
    10: Chappell, Scott, Battier (active)
    11: Cunningham
    12: Mullins, Rogers, Brand (active)
    13: Ferry, Laettner, Jamison (active)
    14: Gminski, Duncan (active)
    15: Jordan
    16: Hill (active), Smith (active)
    17: Grant

Nolan's play placed him in good company. Checked to see pro b'ball longevity of ACC POYs. Somewhat interesting (pro (NBA/ABA) years from basketball-reference):

0: Pucillo, Griffin, Bias, Carrawell
    1: Brennan, Monroe, Vasquez (active)
    2: Hemric, Shavlik, Rosenbluth, Forte, Hodge, Hansbrough (active), Lawson (active)
    3: Shaffer, Vacendak, Davis, Parkhill
    4: Dudley (active)
    5: Redick (active)
    6: Heyman
    7: Miller, Ford, Dixon
    8: Roche, Howard (active)
    9: Thompson, Kupchak, King, Sampson
    10: Chappell, Scott, Battier (active)
    11: Cunningham
    12: Mullins, Rogers, Brand (active)
    13: Ferry, Laettner, Jamison (active)
    14: Gminski, Duncan (active)
    15: Jordan
    16: Hill (active), Smith (active)
    17: Grant
    Would never have guessed Horace Grant would top the longevity chart.

Does the inclusion of Charlie Scott constitute an editorial comment on your part? He never actually won the award. Probably should have. But the trophy says Roche.

Dennis not Charlie

I believe Scott is Dennis (1990) not Charlie (Roche won 69 and 70 on the list I had). Also, I simply used a wikipedia ACC POY list and not an official ACC guide or anything, so take it all with that grain of salt. I was lazy and didn't type first names: I thought folks would confuse Grant as being Grant, not Horace.

I believe Scott is Dennis (1990) not Charlie (Roche won 69 and 70 on the list I had). Also, I simply used a wikipedia ACC POY list and not an official ACC guide or anything, so take it all with that grain of salt. I was lazy and didn't type first names: I thought folks would confuse Grant as being Grant, not Horace.
    Ah, Dennis Scott. My bad. Perhaps I'm projecting my own sub-conscious here.

That I avoided editorial comments in transcribing the list should be clear: I included Joe Forte as a winner.

I thought folks would confuse Grant as being Grant, not Horace.
    I was still confused. I thought you were listing Grant Hill twice, because... he's Grant Hill.