View Poll Results: How much money will HP 7.2 make at the boxoffice this weekend?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than $100 million

    0 0%
  • $100-$110 million

    0 0%
  • $110-$120 million

    0 0%
  • $120-$130 million

    3 10.34%
  • $130-$140 million

    4 13.79%
  • $140-$150 million

    7 24.14%
  • $150-$158.4 million

    4 13.79%
  • $158.4-$165 million

    3 10.34%
  • $165+ million

    8 27.59%
  • What is HP 7.2?

    0 0%
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!

    Harry Potter 7.2 opening weekend boxoffice guess

    Just for kicks, lets all guess at what we think the opening weekend boxoffice will be for the most anticipated movie of the summer. Here are a few benchmarks to help all of you predict.

    Transformers: Dark of the Moon- $97.8 mil (biggest opening of the year so far)
    Aquaman - $116.4 mil (from the TV show Entourage)
    HP 7.1 - $125.0 mil (this was in November of last year)
    Twilight: New Moon - $142.8 mil (third biggest opening ever)
    Spider-man 3 - $151.1 mil (second biggest opening ever)
    Dark Knight - $158.4 mil (biggest opening weekend of all-time)

    --Jason "poll will stay open until 9pm on Friday" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    12 voters so far... only 3 think it will set the all-time record.

    -Jason
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN

    Teaser Rumor

    Rumor has it that The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer will be one of the previews.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Rumor has it that The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer will be one of the previews.
    No dice on the rumor. Trailers were for Hugo, Sherlock Holmes, an animated xmas film, and a few others.

    Saw that HP 7.2 did $43.5 in midnight showings last night. That's a record. I think "The Dark Knight" only did $18.5M, so HP is well ahead of that pace at the moment. Staying there is a different matter.
    "There can BE only one."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    It is nothing too special but the folks at the Wall Street Journal had me write an article today on the record-breaking boxoffice at midnight.

    “There are two keys here. First, those die-hards who went to see it at midnight, how many of them will want to see it again on Saturday or Sunday. Secondly, it needs to bring in the casual fans – folks who maybe have not read all the books or seen all the movies. There are signs this is turning into an event where people want to be there to see the end of this epic story. If that happens, we could see ‘Dark Knight’’s record fall.”
    --Jason "be sure to check Speakeasy tomorrow, as they are posting a far better article from me-- this one is on how Harry Potter and Star Wars have something interesting in common" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Rumor has it that The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer will be one of the previews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    No dice on the rumor. Trailers were for Hugo, Sherlock Holmes, an animated xmas film, and a few others.

    Saw that HP 7.2 did $43.5 in midnight showings last night. That's a record. I think "The Dark Knight" only did $18.5M, so HP is well ahead of that pace at the moment. Staying there is a different matter.
    The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer definitely debuted at the midnight showings here in DC. It was just that...a teaser. But, I'm equally excited for the conclusion of that segment of the Batman series as I was for HP7.2.

    Fandango sold out of all of the midnight showings for HP7.2 nationwide over two weeks ago. They said it was the fastest sellout for a movie they've ever had (beating The Dark Knight). The reviews have been very positive and word of mouth will have people coming back on Saturday and Sunday, including repeat business. I don't think it will break TDK's record, but it will come very close. I'd say $150M, making it the second best weekend ever.
    Check out the DBR Podcast!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    The early estimates of the Friday numbers are in and it is a staggering figure -- $92.1 million. That blows away the old record for biggest single day in Hollywood history, which had been held by Twilight: New Moon with $72.7 million.

    $92 million in one day... it is hard for me to get my head around a figure like that. I mean, that tells me that virtually every showing everywhere was sold out. I was at a theater last night and the theater had cancelled a showing of Transformers so it could put Harry Potter in one more 3D theater. That's how much demand there was for this film.

    The weekend record is toast. I now think HP 7.2 is going to fly past the Dark Knight's $158.4 million, perhaps with ease. I will not be surprised with a figure in the mid-upper $160 million range.

    Maybe I am wrong and it will be so front-loaded that we will see a big dropoff on Sat and Sunday -- but I doubt it.

    -Jason "I am thinking that Udaman's $400+ mil prediction is gonna be right" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The early estimates of the Friday numbers are in and it is a staggering figure -- $92.1 million. That blows away the old record for biggest single day in Hollywood history, which had been held by Twilight: New Moon with $72.7 million.

    $92 million in one day... it is hard for me to get my head around a figure like that. I mean, that tells me that virtually every showing everywhere was sold out. I was at a theater last night and the theater had cancelled a showing of Transformers so it could put Harry Potter in one more 3D theater. That's how much demand there was for this film.

    The weekend record is toast. I now think HP 7.2 is going to fly past the Dark Knight's $158.4 million, perhaps with ease. I will not be surprised with a figure in the mid-upper $160 million range.

    Maybe I am wrong and it will be so front-loaded that we will see a big dropoff on Sat and Sunday -- but I doubt it.

    -Jason "I am thinking that Udaman's $400+ mil prediction is gonna be right" Evans
    That is an absolutely MONSTER number! With that number, and I know a ton of DC showings are sold out today (probably that way everywhere), Harry's definitely flying past Aquaman. Let's just hope there's no rolling blackouts!
    Check out the DBR Podcast!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    $168.5... a new record and it wasn't even close.

    Congrats to our winners, who all picked "More than $165 million":
    BuschDevil
    Devilnole
    dukebsbll14
    gotoguy
    InSpades
    northernduke
    PSurprise
    Udaman

    -Jason "wow... the greatest weekend in Hollywood history... impressive" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  10. #10

    openinjg weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    $168.5... a new record and it wasn't even close.

    Congrats to our winners, who all picked "More than $165 million":
    BuschDevil
    Devilnole
    dukebsbll14
    gotoguy
    InSpades
    northernduke
    PSurprise
    Udaman

    -Jason "wow... the greatest weekend in Hollywood history... impressive" Evans
    Jason,

    As a non-professional, one thing puzzles me. You are posting this on Sunday morning. I thought Sunday grosses were considered part of the weekend? Friday-Saturday-Sunday ... is it stretching a point to give HP7.2 credit for Thursday night showings as part of the weekend? I guess not since weren't those midnight shows, that would technically be Friday.

    But I'm still puzzled as to whether Sunday receipts count toward the weekend.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Jason,

    As a non-professional, one thing puzzles me. You are posting this on Sunday morning. I thought Sunday grosses were considered part of the weekend? Friday-Saturday-Sunday ... is it stretching a point to give HP7.2 credit for Thursday night showings as part of the weekend? I guess not since weren't those midnight shows, that would technically be Friday.

    But I'm still puzzled as to whether Sunday receipts count toward the weekend.
    They do...but they give estimates based on how they think that Sunday's box office will go. That's the numbers that Jason is declaring, I believe...they will adjust them on Monday. There were no Thursday showings. All of those showings started after midnight Friday morning so they count towards the weekend.
    Check out the DBR Podcast!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Jason,

    As a non-professional, one thing puzzles me. You are posting this on Sunday morning. I thought Sunday grosses were considered part of the weekend? Friday-Saturday-Sunday ... is it stretching a point to give HP7.2 credit for Thursday night showings as part of the weekend? I guess not since weren't those midnight shows, that would technically be Friday.

    But I'm still puzzled as to whether Sunday receipts count toward the weekend.
    The Thursday midnight showings are counted toward Friday because they occur at Midnight -- which is really Friday morning.

    Yes, of course Sunday counts toward the weekend receipts. The studios have become experts at measuring how many people show up on Friday and Saturday and extrapolating those figures to come up with something accurate for Sunday. They are typically almost exactly right when the final numbers are released mid-day Monday. It is rare for them to be off by more than a few hundred thousand, at the most.

    -Jason "when they are off, they usually over-estimate to make a film look better than it actually was" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the Thrillerdome in ATL

    Weekend gross

    One report has our latest HP movie closing out the weekend with a $168,550,000 gross exceeding the Dark Knight by $10 mil.

    And Jason, I didn't like the final battle between Harry and Tom either. Why it didn't follow the book is a mystery to me.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    One report has our latest HP movie closing out the weekend with a $168,550,000 gross exceeding the Dark Knight by $10 mil.

    And Jason, I didn't like the final battle between Harry and Tom either. Why it didn't follow the book is a mystery to me.
    The AP now says $169.2 million:
    http://www.theledger.com/article/201...APA/1107180836

    While it seems that HP 7.2 is the clear #1 in box office in terms of dollars for the opening weekent, it's only #6 in number of tickets sold, trailing The Dark Knight and Spiderman 3 among others. To me, tickets sold is a fairer comparison as prices have gone up, especially when a lot of people see it in 3D/Imax. Still, obviously #6 in tickets sold all-time opening weekend is very impressive.

    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/166...-weekend.jhtml

Similar Threads

  1. Harry Potter 7.2
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
  2. Harry Potter -- What Next?
    By Rich in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 01:08 PM
  3. Harry Potter preview
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 07:43 AM
  4. Harry Potter Poll
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 10:07 AM
  5. Harry Potter Must Die
    By BlueDiablo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •