Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    You must realize the "union" doesn't exist anymore. so thus cannot represent any players, much less future players. Furthermore, there is no obligation for a player to be a member of the union (Michael jordan was never a member)
    Well, it still exists unless and until it successfully decertifies. I expect the league to oppose decertification on the grounds that it's a sham - the union fully intends to re-form as soon as the current labor issues are resolved. It's a procedural move designed to get leverage by allowing the filing of anti-trust litigation.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    You must realize the "union" doesn't exist anymore. so thus cannot represent any players, much less future players. Furthermore, there is no obligation for a player to be a member of the union (Michael jordan was never a member)
    The NBPA still exists. It has not disbanded, nor will it. It isn't even technically decertifying (although I've been guilty of using the term to describe what's going on). The NBPA is simply "disclaiming interest" in serving as a collective bargaining unit, which is faster than going through some drawn out decertification process as a precursor to the real fight--the antitrust issue (and whether the labor exemption still applies). Disclaiming interest allows the players to immediately file the antitrust suits, and it lets them reconstitute quickly in the event that Stern lets Hunter know that a better offer is on the table.

The NBPA is now a trade association and can assist the players in asserting legal claims on all non-labor (cough cough antitrust) issues. It can also negotiate on behalf of its members for things like IP licensing rights or special appearances.

Pro Game vs UNC

It has been a week or so sense I have heard anything about the Pro Game against UNC's Pro Players. The game was supposed to be today, is it still being played?

Insightful article from Grantland on NBA Lockout

People seem to have a lot of conflicting feelings about Bill Simmons' and the quality of various writings on Grantland. Not sure I agree with everything he says here, but a very well written, long (as usual), and insightful piece of sports "literature" about the current standoff between the Owners and Players (and Agents...oh my).

Some Pavement lyrics come to mind:
    "Pigs, they tend to wiggle when they walk
    the infrastructure rots
    and the owners hate the jocks
    with their agents and their dates

if the signatures are checked
    you'll just have to wait

and we're counting up the instants that we save
    tired nation so depraved
    from the cheap seats see us
    wave to the camera
    it took a giant ramrod
    to raze the demon settlement"

The Duke-UNC Alumni Game was postponed, but with no NBA season on the horizon, a number of current and former NBA players (including a Blue Devil) will be participating in the "Obama Classic."

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/...erobamaclassic

Quite a collection of talent already lined up there...and supposedly more to come. As the lockout continues, I assume we will see more of these types of exhibitions set up.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    As the lockout continues, I assume we will see more of these types of exhibitions set up.
    Yeah, and then the question becomes, will fans eventually get tired of these meaningless exhibitions and stop buying tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, and then the question becomes, will fans eventually get tired of these meaningless exhibitions and stop buying tickets?
    It does not really matter -- I don't think the players could ever stage enough exhibitions to provide a meaningful source of income to a meaningful percentage of the player's association. I mean, the NBA stages more than hundred games a month with almost all of them televised in some fashion.

Sure, the 20 or 30 best NBA stars could hold some exhibitions and make money, but what about each team's 6th, 7th, and 8th men? Heck, what about the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th men? Is anyone buying tickets to or televising the exhibition game featuring Pape Sy, Hilton Armstrong, Avery Bradley, Dante Cunningham, Dominick Brown, Alonzo Gee, Manny Harris, Ian Mahinmi, Gary Forbes, Jonas Jerebko, Terrico White, Jeff Adrien, and others?

The faces we constantly see in the negotiations, the big stars, certainly matter. But, this impasse affects scores of players getting paid the minimum or just slightly above it. These are the guys living well, but living paycheck to paycheck. They are the ones who feel the pressure to cave the most.

-Jason "of course, the guys who are affected most by the proposed salary cuts are the stars, not the guys making the minimum-- the minimum (I think) stays the same under the proposed deals" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "of course, the guys who are affected most by the proposed salary cuts are the stars, not the guys making the minimum-- the minimum (I think) stays the same under the proposed deals" Evans
    I think it's actually the midlevel guys who are the most affected, not the stars. Lebron, Kobe, et al will continue to make the max, which might be slightly lower, but owners are really trying to cut down spending for mid-level guys. From a business standpoint, the owners would prefer to pay the stars more because people actually pay to see them and then have everyone else make the minimum. Obviously, that would never happen, but one of the owners' biggest problems is overpaying middle class players.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It does not really matter -- I don't think the players could ever stage enough exhibitions to provide a meaningful source of income to a meaningful percentage of the player's association. I mean, the NBA stages more than hundred games a month with almost all of them televised in some fashion.

Sure, the 20 or 30 best NBA stars could hold some exhibitions and make money, but what about each team's 6th, 7th, and 8th men? Heck, what about the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th men? Is anyone buying tickets to or televising the exhibition game featuring Pape Sy, Hilton Armstrong, Avery Bradley, Dante Cunningham, Dominick Brown, Alonzo Gee, Manny Harris, Ian Mahinmi, Gary Forbes, Jonas Jerebko, Terrico White, Jeff Adrien, and others?

The faces we constantly see in the negotiations, the big stars, certainly matter. But, this impasse affects scores of players getting paid the minimum or just slightly above it. These are the guys living well, but living paycheck to paycheck. They are the ones who feel the pressure to cave the most.

-Jason "of course, the guys who are affected most by the proposed salary cuts are the stars, not the guys making the minimum-- the minimum (I think) stays the same under the proposed deals" Evans
    It's not just that. I'm not a labor lawyer but I strongly suspect that if one of these guys tears up an ankle or a knee in one of these games, they're pretty much on their own. A bit of a disincentive, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It's not just that. I'm not a labor lawyer but I strongly suspect that if one of these guys tears up an ankle or a knee in one of these games, they're pretty much on their own. A bit of a disincentive, IMO.
    I'm not a labor lawyer either, but what effect would decertification have on health clauses, generally, in existing contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm not a labor lawyer either, but what effect would decertification have on health clauses, generally, in existing contracts?
    I think that existing contracts have various clauses that prohibit certain activities. If you get hurt sky diving, for example, I think the team goes all Cee Lo Green on you and does not pay you anything. On the other hand, I doubt a basketball contract would consider playing basketball to be a dangerous activity, so I would think the contract would be honored if one of these guys got hurt in an exhibition game.

Now, the issue of how the labor impasse affects that is a tough one to figure out. Whenever a new deal is struck, if ever, the status of existing contracts will have to be addressed. It is possible the NBA would say that injuries that occurred during the lock out would allow teams to terminate contracts without any payout, but I sorta doubt they will take that path. It is bad PR and seems awfully callous.

-Jason "we've already seen some exhibitions during the lockout-- I suspect we see more" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?