Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ready for it...

This totally makes sense for both teams and (I checked) it even works under the current salary cap rules.

Ready?

Dwight Howard for Lebron James

You read that right. And both teams would benefit from it.

Miami has already learned the hard way that Wade and James are not the seamless, logical fit that Miami thought they would be. They each do a lot of the same things and the sum of the whole was less than the sum of the parts. Adding Dwight would give Miami a piece they don't already have while removing a piece that is at least somewhat redundant in their system.

As for Orlando, Bron-bron would have better teammates in Orlando than he ever had in Cleveland and he would, once again, be given the freedom he did not have in Miami to dominate the ball and the team. He would return to being the MVP that he was in Cleveland, except with teammates like Jameer, JJ, Hedu, and others who are a far, far better supporting cast than the one he had in Cleveland.

So, wouldn't each team benefit from this trade? Wouldn't both the players involved benefit as well? The fan bases of each team would probably embrace it as well. This is a win-win, which is extremely rare when trading a stud player.

The only mild problem is that they are in the same conference and I suspect Lebron would be really, really, really motivated to beat Miami. Orlando might also run the risk that Lebron would bolt after his contract is up in 2 years, but they already risk losing Dwight in 1 year so they get one more season out of their superstar under this scenario. I also suspect that Lebron will enjoy being "the man" again for a team versus being "the co-man" like he was with DWade.

--Jason "someone tell me this does not make sense? I should be a GM, right?!" Evans
    The trade makes sense (more for Miami IMO), but I think it would be better for the Heat to try one more time with this group (I think Riley's ego is telling him that too) and then they could still use one of their big 3 next year to maybe snag a high pick in what should be a much better draft.

Hey, I like Maynor and think he has a good future, but we are talking about a kid who averaged all of 4.2 ppg this season in 15 mpg of playing time. Even if you extrapolate his statistics to make him a starter (and play 36 min per game), he is only 10.4 ppg, 7.1 apg, and 3.6 rpg. Those are not exactly studly statistics.

-Jason "again, Maynor is a very nice backup PG and he has potential, but he ain't that great" Evans
    Where would you rank Maynor if he were a college kid coming out tonight? Behind Irving, Kemba and Knight? So he'd maybe go 10-12, right? I would not put Nolan ahead of him.

I think Maynor can be a starter in this league like Darren Collison or the like. Potential in the mind of a GM is just as important as potential...scary but true.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Tony Parker (the former Mr Longoria, not the Duke recruit) for Nicholas Batum and Andre Miller. Good move for Portland, curious for San Anton. The Spurs apparently want to include Richard Jefferson if they can but Portland balked.

Andre Igoudala for Lamar Odom. Wither Ron Artest...

OKC is offering the #24 and Eric Maynor (!) to move up in the draft to get Valanciunas. Two things stand out here - Could Maynor start so that Westbrook can move to the 2? Could Maynor alone be worth a lottery pick? I'd take him over Kemba or anyone not named Irving, Williams, Knight or Kanter. Kids going to be good.
    I have seen Parker mentioned in a few trade rumors, including for draft picks 5 or 6 (Raptors and Wizards?) I don't get it. He is a 3-time all-star in his prime on a team with the rest of its nucleus past their prime. I don't know if there is anyone in the draft that is guaranteed to be better than Tony Parker, though I certainly hope that Kyrie ends up there. My impression is that this is a weak draft (except for Kyrie, Kyle and Nolan) and I can't understand why the Spurs would give up Parker for a pick this year. Next year, sure, but not this year. But, they deserve the benefit of the doubt much more than I do. Can anyone explain their rationale for discussing these trades to me?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I have seen Parker mentioned in a few trade rumors, including for draft picks 5 or 6 (Raptors and Wizards?) I don't get it. He is a 3-time all-star in his prime on a team with the rest of its nucleus past their prime. I don't know if there is anyone in the draft that is guaranteed to be better than Tony Parker, though I certainly hope that Kyrie ends up there. My impression is that this is a weak draft (except for Kyrie, Kyle and Nolan) and I can't understand why the Spurs would give up Parker for a pick this year. Next year, sure, but not this year. But, they deserve the benefit of the doubt much more than I do. Can anyone explain their rationale for discussing these trades to me?
    Agreed. If the Spurs want to blow it up and start over, the trade Parker for a top 5 pick. But dont do that until Duncan is put out to pasture.

Also, if they think they can retool and make one last run with Duncan, then Parker is their best trade chip and they apparently think he's expendable with George Hill on the team. If that's the case, then they have a need for a scorer who fits the system. So who would that be? Certainly not Batum. Seems to me they are a year away from this move.

Well, the first shot is fired, and there's some local interest. Full story here.

The Bucks will get [Stephen] Jackson and Charlotte's Shaun Livingston, Sacramento's Beno Udrih and the 19th pick from the Bobcats in Thursday night's draft, while Charlotte obtains the No. 7 pick from Sacramento and forward Corey Maggette from Milwaukee.

The Kings will get guard John Salmons from Milwaukee and the 10th pick in the draft. Charlotte will hold onto the No. 9 pick.
    Not the sexiest headline, but it could be significant if NBA Draft night ends up not being the freewheeling trade orgy that everyone seems to think it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Well, the first shot is fired, and there's some local interest. Full story here.

Not the sexiest headline, but it could be significant if NBA Draft night ends up not being the freewheeling trade orgy that everyone seems to think it will be.
    It also probably opens the door for G to start. Not many SGs in this draft and at 7 and 9, it is probably too high for Burks. They could get Leonard or Thompson but both can play SF so I'd think G should get his shot to show his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Cheat on Eva Longoria and you should be traded to Syberia...fool!

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    Cheat on Eva Longoria and you should be traded to Syberia...fool!
    You have to make good decisions as a point guard and this shows he sometimes doesn't. Makes more sense to me now.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Dallas picked up Rudy Fernandez last night. They quietly got better at the guard position with this move. Rudy is 26 years old and averaged 9ppg the last couple of seasons in 23 minutes a night. If he gives them enough minutes to rest Kidd and Terry when Stevenson and Barea are having off nights then he will have earned his money.

How about a trade by Phoenix for Brandon Roy??

It looks like Phoenix is committed to keep Nash; and have plans to resign Grant. If that does occur, I think Phoenix should go after Portland's Brandon Roy. Phoenix's biggest need right now is a 2-guard since it is highly unlikely they keep Vinsanity. Roy would be a great fit in Phoenix's system; and since Portland played at least half the season without Roy, Portland could afford to trade Roy for size. Portland needs size with the question marks that Greg Oden has right now. Why not trade some combination of 7ft center Robin Lopez and some bench players (or possibly Vince Carter if possible) for Roy? It would give Portland a replacement for Oden and more size while it gives Phoenix a legit 2-guard to team up with Nash and Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    It looks like Phoenix is committed to keep Nash; and have plans to resign Grant. If that does occur, I think Phoenix should go after Portland's Brandon Roy. Phoenix's biggest need right now is a 2-guard since it is highly unlikely they keep Vinsanity. Roy would be a great fit in Phoenix's system; and since Portland played at least half the season without Roy, Portland could afford to trade Roy for size. Portland needs size with the question marks that Greg Oden has right now. Why not trade some combination of 7ft center Robin Lopez and some bench players (or possibly Vince Carter if possible) for Roy? It would give Portland a replacement for Oden and more size while it gives Phoenix a legit 2-guard to team up with Nash and Grant.
    A couple issues here -
    • Suns just bought out Vince this week. He's not likely to come back
    • Grant is an unrestricted free agent and may want a last shot at a ring (ie not in Phoenix).
    • Robin Lopez is a relatively inexpensive key piece to their future. Trading him would not be wise.
    • Brandon Roy's knee is made of spaghetti. He is NOT worth the risk and Portland is fine with holding on to him for whatever he has left in the tank, but I'm not sure any other team is.

Good points raised

A couple issues here -
    • Suns just bought out Vince this week. He's not likely to come back
    • Grant is an unrestricted free agent and may want a last shot at a ring (ie not in Phoenix).
    • Robin Lopez is a relatively inexpensive key piece to their future. Trading him would not be wise.
    • Brandon Roy's knee is made of spaghetti. He is NOT worth the risk and Portland is fine with holding on to him for whatever he has left in the tank, but I'm not sure any other team is.
    1) The Suns and Vince mutually agreed to extend the deadline to buy his contract out in order to give Phoenix more time to decide what they want to do with Vince and it kept them from having to cut a 4 million dollar check right now.

2)Unless a contending team wows him and gives him a great offer or the Suns trade Nash (or the Suns give him an unacceptable offer), all indications point to him resigning with Phoenix based on reports in the local media. Grant loves the training staff in Phoenix and is very close to Steve Nash.

3)The management and coaching staff have begun to sour on Lopez based on his lack of production last year and the injuries he's had the last couple of years. Reports out of Phoenix have Robin on the trading block.

4) Brandon's knee is shaky but Phoenix does have one of the best if not the best training staff in the league. They've done wonders for Nash and Grant; and if the staff is able to evaluate Brandon and feel that they could get Roy over the hump with his knee, I think Phoenix would take a chance on Roy because they want a scoring 2 guard to replace the production they lost when they traded Jason Richardson and (possibly releasing Carter unless they can package him in a trade).

1) The Suns and Vince mutually agreed to extend the deadline to buy his contract out in order to give Phoenix more time to decide what they want to do with Vince and it kept them from having to cut a 4 million dollar check right now.

2)Unless a contending team wows him and gives him a great offer or the Suns trade Nash (or the Suns give him an unacceptable offer), all signes point to him resigning with Phoenix based on reports in the local media. Grant loves the training staff in Phoenix and is very close to Steve Nash.

3)The management and coaching staff have begun to sour on Lopez based on his lack of production last year and the injuries he's had the last couple of years. Reports out of Phoenix have Robin on the trading block.

4) Brandon's knee is shaky but Phoenix does have one of the best if not the best training staff in the league. They've done wonders for Nash and Grant; and if the staff is able to evaluate Brandon and feel that they could get Roy over the hump with his knee, I think Phoenix would take a chance on Roy because they want a scoring 2 guard to replace the production they lost when they traded Jason Richardson and (possibly releasing Carter unless they can package him in a trade).
    All good counterpoints. But where does bringing in Roy get Phoenix? They missed the playoffs this past season and are all a year older and slower. If you assume Roy gives you 18-20 a night then that helps and may be worth the extra half-dozen wins needed to get back into the playoffs, but he's not going to be a workhorse for you.

So does Phoenix blow things up now and trade Nash while he has some trade value left? Or do they try to sneak in one more year by bringing in Roy plus another scorer?

I'd be inclined to let Nash decide if he wants to go play for a contender or finish up in Phoenix. He's earned that deference.

Dallas picked up Rudy Fernandez last night. They quietly got better at the guard position with this move. Rudy is 26 years old and averaged 9ppg the last couple of seasons in 23 minutes a night. If he gives them enough minutes to rest Kidd and Terry when Stevenson and Barea are having off nights then he will have earned his money.
    Yeah, or they can replace Stevenson with Fernandez in the rotation. Either way, it's good depth. And they add Butler to the mix at SF. If they can retain Chandler (that'll merely be an issue of the salary cap as I'd assume he wants to come back and Cuban is willing to pay). That's an excellent job of reloading.

Salary

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...es/blazers.jsp
    That first line there explains why Brandon Roy will not be competing for the Phoenix Suns. With a good attitude--something Roy has not yet coming close to showing--and a great training staff, he might be a strong sixth man from here forward. A penurious team such as Phoenix is not going to pay that kind of money for a sixth man. Particularly a sixth man with no cartilage in his knee and a conviction that he remains an All-Star caliber guard deserving of starter minutes.

Portland

With the addition of Felton and the subtraction of Miller, Portland is intriguing.

Aldridge, Camby, Wallace across the front line with Batum as backup. Or they could go smaller with Aldridge at C and Wallace at the 4 and run teams out of the gym with Felton.

In the backcourt they have Felton, Matthews and Nolan and Roy in supporting roles.

They seem just good enough to win 50 games but not good enough to make the conference Finals. Seems like they need to add another big man...will Oden sign and show up for 15 minutes a night for a whole season? Do they continue to use Roy as a 6th man and closer?

With the addition of Felton and the subtraction of Miller, Portland is intriguing.

Aldridge, Camby, Wallace across the front line with Batum as backup. Or they could go smaller with Aldridge at C and Wallace at the 4 and run teams out of the gym with Felton.

In the backcourt they have Felton, Matthews and Nolan and Roy in supporting roles.

They seem just good enough to win 50 games but not good enough to make the conference Finals. Seems like they need to add another big man...will Oden sign and show up for 15 minutes a night for a whole season? Do they continue to use Roy as a 6th man and closer?
    Yes, it's the dynasty that never happened. They had two players who potentially could have been top 15 for the majority of their careers in Oden and Roy, A perennial all-star in LMA (one of my personal favorites in the NBA) and some really nice role players.

Instead you are right, 50 wins for 3-4 years, maybe a second rnd appearance and that's it. Eventually they'll blow it up and start again. The only thing can prevent that is Oden and Roy having a 80-100% health recoveries, which I doubt. A real shame, had Roy and Oden been healthy their battles with OKC over the next 5-10 years would have been ESPN classic material.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    would Pat Riley entertain a trade of LBJ straight up for Dwight Howard? It works for Miami because Wade and LBJ are basically the same guy and don't work well together in my opinion. Also, the Heat need interior help. It works for Orlando because they get equal value for Dwight.
    Ready for it...

This totally makes sense for both teams and (I checked) it even works under the current salary cap rules.

Ready?

Dwight Howard for Lebron James

You read that right. And both teams would benefit from it.

--Jason "someone tell me this does not make sense? I should be a GM, right?!" Evans
    Jason, I posted this idea on 6/16. It really is a perfect trade.

Don't forget about Elliot. I realized today that he'll be reunited with Nolan.

Ranking this summer's Free Agents

Granted we have no idea how the labor stuff will play out, but here's Espn the Mag's list (insider):

1. Tyson Chandler
    2. Nene
    3. Marc Gasol
    4. David West (knee surgery, right?)
    5. Thaddeus Young (really?)
    6. Jamal Crawford

He says two more parts of the list are coming. I hope so because I'm going to be annoyed if Thaddeus Young and Jamal Crawford are in the top 10 without further explanation...

I bet Chandler and Gasol stay put. I dont know if Miami, Boston or another contender can afford to pay Nene $10-12 M but he's likely to jump ship if they could.