Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What will you be doing when the world ends?

As most of you no doubt know, The Rapture is coming tomorrow. It is supposed to hit the East Coast at 6pm, around dinner time on Saturday May 21st.

As a Jew, I am pretty sure that I am doomed to the eternal pit of Hell, which sorta sucks. So, I have been thinking about what I will be doing at the moment 2% of the world is saved and the other 98% of us are sent into the abyss.

My son's baseball team lost their playoff game 7-6 last night, he pitched 5 innings but the D let him down. We had been scheduled to play the Championship game Saturday late afternoon, but, with the loss, our afternoon is free. I might take the kids to see Pirates 4 that evening. The reviews have not been very good so being swallowed up by fire won't be all that bad if it rescues me from a lousy film with a convoluted plot.

My suggestion would be to sell all your stock and other investments today so you can party like crazy tomorrow-- better still, take out a giant loan from the bank... tell them you will pay it back on Sunday, May 22nd. On second thought -- that's probably a bad idea. I am sure all the bankers will be going to Hell and there is nothing worse than owing a debt to the guy with whom you have to spend an eternity of suffering.

--Jason "the best idea yet-- Aetheists in North Carolina are planning a Rapture After Party for tomorrow... classic!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'll be moving down to Greenwich, taking over Kathie Lee Gifford's house.

I have Saturday tickets for the Red Sox - front row of Green Monster (bought for charity). I'll be there in the outfield, catching fly balls - they let us in early. If I catch one, I'll probably die on the spot...just before the rapture.

If not, I plan on going out with a beer and dog in hand...or being left behind with lots of free beer and dogs.

Umm, I don't think the world is going to end. Not in my nature, now is it! So I'm going to poop on their party!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Harold Camping has retained his considerable net worth so I guess he's hedging his bet.

I'm taking all the gold coins out of the safety deposit box today and keeping them on my person tomorrow. Might come in handy where I'm headed, then again, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I have Saturday tickets for the Red Sox - front row of Green Monster (bought for charity). I'll be there in the outfield, catching fly balls - they let us in early. If I catch one, I'll probably die on the spot...just before the rapture.

If not, I plan on going out with a beer and dog in hand...or being left behind with lots of free beer and dogs.
    I'll be there as well (though not on the Green Monster)..looking forward to the short beer lines..

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Oh, so it's a rolling rapture - good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As most of you no doubt know, The Rapture is coming tomorrow. It is supposed to hit the East Coast at 6pm, around dinner time on Saturday May 21st.

If the warnings from Camping's followers come to pass, a huge earthquake should strike the Pacific Rim late tonight, killing millions as it cracks and rips its way around the globe, finally reaching Raleigh at about 6 p.m.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/...#ixzz1Mu8tGPxc

Well, since Jason brought it up...

I read up on what the reasoning actually is for May 21, 2011:
    According to Camping, the number five equals "atonement", the number ten equals "completeness", and the number seventeen equals "heaven".
    Christ is said to have hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.
    If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days (the number of days in a solar year, not to be confused with the lunar year), the result is 722,449.
    The time between April 1 and May 21 is 51 days.
    51 added to 722,449 is 722,500.
    (5 × 10 × 17)^2 or (atonement × completeness × heaven)^2 also equals 722,500.
    What???
    Step 1: Randomly pull a bunch of assumptions out of nowhere
    Step 2: Start adding and multiplying stuff at random until you have other numbers
    Step 3: Square things for no reason until you find a match

And this is coming from someone who actually believes in a pre-tribulation rapture and pre-millennial eschatology. I mean, that's just bad.

It's curious to study what these "date-setter" groups (who are scripturally prohibited from doing so but are so arrogant they justify it to themselves anyway) do after they're wrong. I'm wondering how this will compare to the Great Disappointment of 1844?

According to wikipedia:
    Both Millerite leaders and followers were left generally bewildered and disillusioned. Responses varied: some continued to look daily for Christ’s return, others predicted different dates—among them April, July, and October 1845. Some theorized that the world had entered the seventh millennium—the “Great Sabbath,” and that therefore, the saved should not work. Others acted as children, basing their belief on Jesus’ words in Mark 10:15 “Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” Millerite O. J. D. Pickands used Revelation to teach that Christ was now sitting on a white cloud, and must be prayed down. Probably the majority however, simply gave up their beliefs and attempted to rebuild their lives. Some members rejoined their previous denominations. A substantial number joined the Shakers.

As for myself, I have a service project in the morning, lunch with friends, a practice work test, and hopefully some grilling on the deck. I'll see everyone on the boards on the 22nd!

I plan to go to the West Coast of FL, load up with sunscreen and spend the day walking and laying on the beach. If it comes, I will watch it from, probably, a very comfortable, prone position.

That is similar to my plan for a psunami. I will go to the beach and watch it arrive! At my local elevations, I will not survive so why not watch the event?

Enjoyed all the posts on this topic! I had to ask someone earlier in the week, isnt the rapture coming this week?

I will be in attendance at a wedding/wedding reception. So celebration, good food and beverages will be plentiful. The couple will be married before 6pm. They wont be married long. The vows, until Death us do part... short marriage!

SNOW... I loved your post!

How many times, have we heard this? I will post after the wedding on Saturday, and see you guys again, on the boards on Sunday!

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints... the sinners are much more fun."

Well seeing as today is my birthday, I will be quite hungover on the morrow. So whether or not I am in Hell, it will certainly feel that way

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "the best idea yet-- Aetheists in North Carolina are planning a Rapture After Party for tomorrow... classic!" Evans
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    ... and see you guys again, on the boards on Sunday!
    Not to be left out, agnostics will be observing cognitive dissonance day on the 22nd.

My first anniversary is Sunday. I guess that means that my marriage will last less than a year. Oh well, I was having too much fun anyway.

The real question is then: Should I mow the grass tomorrow?

Don't worry. Arnie split with his wife so he can spend his time more wisely saving the world.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    My first anniversary is Sunday. I guess that means that my marriage will last less than a year. Oh well, I was having too much fun anyway.

The real question is then: Should I mow the grass tomorrow?
    Nah, get a goat.

I wonder if this guy has read the part of the bible that says the antichrist has to rise up before Jesus comes back. total of 7 years i believe. 3&1/2 years of peace and 3&1/2 years of tribulation. People wont be able to buy or sell unless they take the mark of the devil.

Major events like this cause me to pause and reflect on Life's big questions.
    So tomorrow I shall be trying to determine whether cocktail hour will feature The World's Best Gin and Tonic (TM), or perhaps a triple tequila on the rocks, either of which would be accompanied by an impressively judicious chunk of lime, and enjoyed on the balmy banks of Vermont's majestic Lake Carmi.

And if you-know-who happens to make his miraculous appearance, I'll invite him to kick off his sandals and have some, too.

I'll still be trying to figure out whether 48/2(9+3) equals 288 or 2.

#@$#.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 05-20-2011 at 01:22 PM.

I'll be sitting on the couch holding onto my dogs so they come with me wherever I end up. If it's on the couch, so much the better!