Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    http://www.bloggersodear.com/2011/5/...sexual-assault

In a letter from the girls mother, she states one of the boys was Team Captain his Senior Year, and the other boy plays in the NBA.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    http://www.bloggersodear.com/2011/5/...sexual-assault

In a letter from the girls mother, she states one of the boys was Team Captain his Senior Year, and the other boy plays in the NBA.
    Wow...if her allegations hold true..and if indeed the players confessed, then Wake is about to face a very ugly investigation. Of course, without being there, it's all hearsay, but that's a pretty damning letter.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wow...if her allegations hold true..and if indeed the players confessed, then Wake is about to face a very ugly investigation. Of course, without being there, it's all hearsay, but that's a pretty damning letter.
    That's the part that doesn't quite hold together. Confessed? To what? Are we talking about players admitting they had relations with this girl, or admitting that said relations were non-consensual?

It would absolutely boggle the mind to learn that a respected academic institution exonerated student-athletes who admitted that they sexually assaulted ANYONE, much less a student. Something like that arguably would be criminal conduct on the part of the university and/or its employees.

Obviously we all have to wait and see, and not rush to judgment. Those are some GIGANTIC allegations.

Now I am wondering if this had something to do with Gaudio's departure. I don't know, maybe that's not fair to say.

Not much good to say about a situation like this, other than we hope the truth comes out.

I copied and pasted it from the Wake Forest athletic website.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    I copied and pasted it from the Wake Forest athletic website.
    If an alleged crime involved 2 players, then posting the whole roster gets into an issue of "guilt by association" or invites speculation involving some who had no involvement.

And then you get the wrong year's roster.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "We have been advised by a producer of the Today Show that the story will include an interview with a former Wake Forest student involving an incident that occurred several years ago," Wake Forest President Nathan Hatch wrote in a letter to the university Tuesday.
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/story/9607441/

He has an interesting definition of the word "several". As noted on the front page of DBR, this sounds like an admission that this even did indeed take place, or at least parts of it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Talking No Allegations?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/story/9607441/

He has an interesting definition of the word "several". As noted on the front page of DBR, this sounds like an admission that this even did indeed take place, or at least parts of it.
    Far be it from me to suggest that a University President should stray more than ten feet away from his lawyer , but I think the absence of the word "alleged" is due to the fact that there are no criminal charges in the "incident," and the term, "the incident," can mean literally anything and carries no implication of wrongdoing.

But, of course, maybe President Hatch did stray more than ten feet from his lawyer, which would set a good precedent.

sagegrouse

There's no real reason to use the word "alleged" given that the players involved admit the encounter. They disputed the characterization of the events as non-consensual, but apparently everyone acknowledges it occurred.

This is going to be really nasty.

Seriously? There's enough to warrant a national coalition? I wonder how many athletes are violent compared to every other sector in america? Is there a coalition against violent postal workers? Or against violent students? Sigh.
    I agree, does it make any difference if a violent act is committed by an athlete or math major or plummer???

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    That's definitely the 2009-2010 roster, not the 2008-09 roster.
    Jeff Teague did not play at Wake in 2010. The poster got the roster right.

EDIT: Maybe not, I don't see James Johnson on there (who did play in 2009). The roster appears to be neither the 08-09 nor 09-10 seasons. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I agree, does it make any difference if a violent act is committed by an athlete or math major or plummer???
    It's a reasonable topic for discussion. The theory is that athletes represent a protected class and that their transgressions are often covered up by school officials. And, for what it's worth, athletes are often very strong and difficult for a victim to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Jeff Teague did not play at Wake in 2010. The poster got the roster right.

EDIT: Maybe not, I don't see James Johnson on there (who did play in 2009). The roster appears to be neither the 08-09 nor 09-10 seasons. Odd.
    Good catch on Teague. But everyone is listed with their 2010 class year (including Teague, who left after his sophomore season), and the roster includes freshmen Ari Stewart and CJ Harris who did not play for Wake in 2009.

In any event, it's a moot point now that names have been named.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Today is a news show inclined to chack and double-check sources and facts.
    I still watch it but "Today" has not been a news show primarily for a few years. They may try to check facts, but they'll likely let this woman say whatever she wants. Then they'll say they gave the two men the opportunity to respond and they declined to do so.

The account given on this site's front page is quite different than has been hinted at with these teasers to tomorrow's show. I plan on recording it so I can fast forward through all the junk of the show. You can count on it being teased for at least an hour before they run the segment.

The mother's letter says the men "confessed" but confessed to what I wonder? Did they confess to sex but claim it was consensual? I'll be interested to see, and surprised if, the Today show interviewer (please don't let it be Meredith Viera) asks any hard questions.

The issue is topical because of the federal government's recent guidelines issued to colleges for internal investigations into sexual assault complaints of students, including using a "preponderance of evidence" standard for finding responsibility and assessing discipline instead of "clear and convincing" or the criminal standard "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    It's a reasonable topic for discussion. The theory is that athletes represent a protected class and that their transgressions are often covered up by school officials. And, for what it's worth, athletes are often very strong and difficult for a victim to fight.
    Well maybe... it seems to me that more often than not athletes seem to be presumed quilty rather than innocent once the press gets on it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    There's no real reason to use the word "alleged" given that the players involved admit the encounter. They disputed the characterization of the events as non-consensual, but apparently everyone acknowledges it occurred.

This is going to be really nasty.
    ???? What does the word "alleged" have to do with anything? Either the sex was consensual or it was not. If there was no coercion (and the mother's own letter certainly leaves that open to one very big debate) then there was no assault. So far the only thing we know for sure is that the Today Show will have a large audience on Thursday morning. Which is important to the Today Show.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

DBR:

"...what is significant is what President Nathan Hatch did not say: alleged"

President Hatch, in the story DBR linked:

"I can assure you the University takes these issues seriously, has a well-established Code of Conduct and has procedures for hearing alleged violations of that Code of Conduct." (emphasis added)

There is no doubt an incident occured, the question is whether a violation of some type occured.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    ???? What does the word "alleged" have to do with anything? Either the sex was consensual or it was not. If there was no coercion (and the mother's own letter certainly leaves that open to one very big debate) then there was no assault. So far the only thing we know for sure is that the Today Show will have a large audience on Thursday morning. Which is important to the Today Show.
    Scandal, with few facts but many lurid details?

Must be Sweeps Week.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    On the Adam Gold show this afternoon, Adam reported that the players acknowledged the sex happened, but stated it was consensual. Also, only Clark had sex with the young lady. Teague allegedly "stood outside and guarded the door".

I am shocked the parents did not immediately report the incident to the Miami police. If that is my daughter, I call the local police immediately and let Wake Forest worry about their own rear ends. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose by "letting the school handle it".

Whether a rape occurred or not, calling the local police immediately would have allowed an investigation to start right then and there, and the Miami Police would have been able to do their jobs from the start.

Putting justice in the hands of the school is just a bad move.