Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "T.J." Hairston

"T.J." Hairston

I think it's hilarious that in the front page article about Duke misspelling P.J. Hairston's name, DBR misspells his name as "T.J." Hairston. Please tell me it's intentional.

I hope that if/when he starts in Cameron, he's welcomed with "Hi TJ".
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think it's hilarious that in the front page article about Duke misspelling P.J. Hairston's name, DBR misspells his name as "T.J." Hairston. Please tell me it's intentional.
    Yes it was intentional. I believe they are taking a jab at his statement that Duke couldn't spell his name correctly during the recruiting process.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

I suspect it is, although who knows what might happen in the wee morning hours when they do these posts.

Not so hilarious, however, is P. J. Hairston's claim that he received correspondence from Duke addressed to T. J. Harrison. If true, it suggests some very sloppy work. I'd hate to think the university is risking alienating potential recruits with careless errors.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I suspect it is, although who knows what might happen in the wee morning hours when they do these posts.

Not so hilarious, however, is P. J. Hairston's claim that he received correspondence from Duke addressed to T. J. Harrison. If true, it suggests some very sloppy work. I'd hate to think the university is risking alienating potential recruits with careless errors.
    I'd bet it happened one time or so and Hairston is just making a joke about it. Somehow I doubt that he based his college decision solely on where he could find the lowest typo-rate.

My thoughts exactly. Too funny.

On the substance of the first of P.J.'s complaints - that Duke couldn't get his name right - if accurate, and esp if it happened more than once, bonehead mistake by Duke, as the main page comment duly notes.

As to the second of his complaints - that Duke is "too mechanical" - it's perhaps among the now-dozens of urban legends about K and Duke. We Duke fans could provide plenty of examples of how flexible K is [compared to... never mind], but all to no avail.

He was mad that everything was addressed to "Josh"

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He was mad that everything was addressed to "Josh"
    ^THIS

Im good friends with Coach Price, the head coach for Dudley High School where P.J. went and from what I got from our convo it is PJ and Johnny Dawkins were tight and when JD left, Duke never seemed serious about him after that.

Im glad because we might not have Austin if we signed PJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I'd bet it happened one time or so and Hairston is just making a joke about it. Somehow I doubt that he based his college decision solely on where he could find the lowest typo-rate.
    Well, no, I would hope not. And you are probably right that this was likely a joking inflation of a single incident.

But imagine this--you have to make a choice (between two job applicants, say, or two companies that want your business), and the alternatives seem pretty even except that one of them has misspelled your name. Wouldn't that influence you just a bit?

Of course, that's hypothetical, since it appears that T.J. (I wonder if they ever sent him letters addressed to T.J. Hooper) did, in fact, have other reasons for choosing UNC over Duke, even if we can't quite figure out from his comments what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Too funny.

On the substance of the first of P.J.'s complaints - that Duke couldn't get his name right - if accurate, and esp if it happened more than once, bonehead mistake by Duke, as the main page comment duly notes.

As to the second of his complaints - that Duke is "too mechanical" - it's perhaps among the now-dozens of urban legends about K and Duke. We Duke fans could provide plenty of examples of how flexible K is [compared to... never mind], but all to no avail.
    I guess he hasn't watched Carolina the last two years if he thinks Duke is too mechanical. I know your post wasn't trying to go there; but sorry...I couldn't resist.

From a coach who went with him on his visit to Duke, "Everything was spelled correctly when we got there."

TJ grew up a Duke fan. Maybe he didn't get as much attention from the school as he would have liked?

I already dislike this T.J. kid. what a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    From a coach who went with him on his visit to Duke, "Everything was spelled correctly when we got there."

TJ grew up a Duke fan.
    Now, even Airowe is doing it. Is this kid's name going to be "T.J." from now on?

Now, even Airowe is doing it. Is this kid's name going to be "T.J." from now on?
    Why not?

And when he comes to Cameron, the Crazies can chant, "Hi TJ" and "JJ's better": clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

Wasn't just the first name

Check the article. It wasn't just the first name he claims that got wrong. It was the last name too. "“They would have ‘T.J. Harrison’ or something like that."

Definitely think he has a new nickname. Hope the rest of the ACC schools pick up on it. Think someone could give them a little note before each game about TJ

"T.J." is a big step up from "P.J."

I say we go with "jammies;" I see his "late night with ol' roy" costume having footies.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I guess he hasn't watched Carolina the last two years if he thinks Duke is too mechanical. I know your post wasn't trying to go there; but sorry...I couldn't resist.
    You're right, sort of; I was indeed trying [or at least pretending to try] to avoid going there. Hence the parenthetical remark, "compared to... never mind."

Last year, Reggie Bullock also claimed Duke's system was too mechanical. I wonder which coach is selling that to these kids on the recruiting trail?

Mechanical?

Wonder if it could be that people are confusing having very distinct roles, a high K value, with being mechanical.