Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dean Smith got married in the Chapel?

The article "The Other Capel" on the main page had the line "Heck, Dean Smith got married in Duke Chapel."

A brief google didn't turn anything up (or at least, I wasn't able to find anything). Is this actually true? Anything else about this? Seems like it should be an interesting story!

I second this question. Please confirm. Talk about a great tid bit of information to pull out during a coach k v smith conversation.

I know that his car got smacked by a Duke bus in front of the Chapel but have not heard about Dean getting married there.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlan View Post
    I know that his car got smacked by a Duke bus in front of the Chapel but have not heard about Dean getting married there.
    IIRC, it was right before the Duke-UNC game. I seem to remember a photo in the Chronicle of his car door knocked off, with "Go to Hell Carolina" on the front of the bus. But that is too good to be true, so I guess my memory is playing tricks on me.

Anyone remember better?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    IIRC, it was right before the Duke-UNC game. I seem to remember a photo in the Chronicle of his car door knocked off, with "Go to Hell Carolina" on the front of the bus. But that is too good to be true, so I guess my memory is playing tricks on me.

Anyone remember better?
    My recollection was that it was not on a game day. Rather Coach Smith had some friends or relatives visiting and drove them over to Durham to see the Chapel.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurber Whyte View Post
    My recollection was that it was not on a game day. Rather Coach Smith had some friends or relatives visiting and drove them over to Durham to see the Chapel.
    Was he telling him about the lovely wedding that he remembered?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blink View Post
    The article "The Other Capel" on the main page had the line "Heck, Dean Smith got married in Duke Chapel."

A brief google didn't turn anything up (or at least, I wasn't able to find anything). Is this actually true? Anything else about this? Seems like it should be an interesting story!
    So Dukies consider chapel hill to be the entrance to hell (or one of the levels thereof).

Dean considers Duke Chapel to be the gates to matrimony.

A distinction without a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Thurber Whyte View Post
    I believe he had his parents w/ him (or at least his mom).

Two questions: 1) really a Dean Smith topic? Do we really need another UNC topic at all? Ever? 2) Anyone know any way to send donations of any kind to that bus driver? It would be cool if we could send him some cash and thank you notes.

9F

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Two questions: 1) really a Dean Smith topic? Do we really need another UNC topic at all? Ever? 2) Anyone know any way to send donations of any kind to that bus driver? It would be cool if we could send him some cash and thank you notes.

9F
    If it bothers you, just think of it as a Duke Chapel thread instead

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    2) Anyone know any way to send donations of any kind to that bus driver? It would be cool if we could send him some cash and thank you notes.

9F
    Yeah, just as cool as Maryland fans after losing to Duke (or winning, for that matter). I'll let you take the lead on striving for that ignominious honor.

It's about time he got married. How many kids does he have anyway?

All Together Now...

With apologies to the Crystals:

El Deano's chorus:

Goin' to the Chapel and I’m gonna be married.
    Goin' to the Chapel and I’m gonna get harried.
    Gee, I sorta like Duke and I’m really so worried.
    Goin' to the Chapel at Duke.
    sagegrouse
    'I thought it was the Shirelles, actually'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    With apologies to the Crystals:

El Deano's chorus:

sagegrouse
    'I thought it was the Shirelles, actually'
    Various groups, but it was the Dixie Cups with the big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    And I thought "Dixie Chicks" was chauvinistic!

Dixie?

Actually, it is all coming back to me, but here is the link mentioning the Crystals.

Actually, way back in 1964 when it became a hit, I thought that the "Dixie Cups" was a male chauvinist pig name -- that was before MCP was even invented.

sagegrouse
    'And I even played LL for a team called "Dixie Cleaners"'
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-16-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added PS

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Actually, it is all coming back to me, but here is the link mentioning the Crystals.

Actually, way back in 1964 when it became a hit, I thought that the "Dixie Cups" was a male chauvinist pig name -- that was before MCP was even invented.

sagegrouse
    'And I even played LL for a team called "Dixie Cleaners"'
    Speaking of some old memories, the Shirelles appeared at "Float Building" for Joe College Weekend, held in one of the tobacco warehouses. This would have been 1969 or 1970. Float Building by that time had become almost entirely about the drinking (umpteen kegs there) and not very much about working on floats. The Joe College weekend died out shortly thereafter, if I recall.

Speaking of some old memories, the Shirelles appeared at "Float Building" for Joe College Weekend, held in one of the tobacco warehouses. This would have been 1969 or 1970. Float Building by that time had become almost entirely about the drinking (umpteen kegs there) and not very much about working on floats. The Joe College weekend died out shortly thereafter, if I recall.
    I still recall Joe College weekends at Duke from 1972-1976. Sort of.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I still recall Joe College weekends at Duke from 1972-1976. Sort of.
    Your memory is a bit dicey on this one Devildeac. The last Joe College weekend, for all intent and purposes, was April 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Your memory is a bit dicey on this one Devildeac. The last Joe College weekend, for all intent and purposes, was April 1973.
    Well, maybe YOU stopped in '73. For some, the train kept right on a'rolling . . . .

;>)