Carrawell to Women's team

Coach Carrawell has just been named a Special Assistant on Coach McCallie's staff.

"Chris is somebody I have known since I have been at Duke," said McCallie. "It is wonderful to have another Duke graduate on staff that has been through Duke and can offer his experiences. I just love how he works with people, his communication skills, his dedication to Duke and his willingness to work very, very hard in creating excitement around the program."

In his new role with McCallie's program, Carrawell will assist the staff in on-campus recruiting, develop game strategies, break down game film and help plan practices, assist with summer camps and contribute in staff meetings.

"I have been working with the women's program from afar for the last three years and I have always been a huge fan of the women's game," said Carrawell. "Even when I was in school, to see our women's team back in 1999 upset Tennessee, it seems like a long time ago -- so I have always supported the women's program. I've had an chance to work with the women the last couple of years in the summer -- they have worked hard and represented Duke well. Anytime you have the opportunity to help your school is great. For me to be joining Coach P's staff is something I am looking forward to. It is a wonderful opportunity."

C-Well, Special Asst on Womens BBall Staff

Just read on GoDuke.com, the new additions to the Womens Basketball Staff. Chris Carrawell, is now a Special Assistant on their staff.

GoDuke.com

WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Coach Carrawell has just been named a Special Assistant on Coach McCallie's staff.
    Gotta say I find this a bizarre transition.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    My guess is that this is not what Carrawell planned when he came back to Duke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Not really. Robert Brickey has also worked with them (he was assistant director of women's basketball operations, ). Also, Samantha Williams took a job yesterday with Louisville, so there was a spot to be filled.

Edit due to wondering what Brickey is doing now
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don't think will be such a bad thing for CC. He has VERY little coaching experience, and he will still be participating in coordinating worldwide recruiting at the highest level, which he will be back to doing in a year or so for the men's program when one of the three assistants gets his own program.

Al Brown is about 1,000 years old with 100 years of coaching experience, so there should be an opening beside Coach P fairly soon.

I think it is interesting that Coach P hired Candice Jackson, her former player (1st recruit and 2 year captain) with whom she (and Coach Brown) has a close connection. This could be "interesting" for Asst Coach Stafford-Odom, a rising superstar in the profession. If nothing else, Candice makes the sideline easy on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not really. Robert Brickey has also worked with them (he was assistant director of women's basketball operations, ). Also, Samantha Williams took a job yesterday with Louisville, so there was a spot to be filled.

Edit due to wondering what Brickey is doing now
    Brickey was as Asst Coach with NC Central Univ in Durham. I Don't know if he is still there or not.

The Girls team will be very good next year. And I will enjoy seeing a Dukie familar face on the bench! The best to CWell in his job!

Given his titles with the men's team over the past few years--graduate assistant and head team manager, assistant video coordinator and assistant strength and conditioning coach--I think this could actually be a very good opportunity for Carrawell to get some true coaching experience, even if his title isn't "coach"--the report says he will work on on-campus recruiting activities, game strategy, breaking down film, planning practices--all important steps toward a sideline position, I would think. And who knows--maybe he will decide to stay on the women's side for a while. Plenty of people, men and women, have made fine careers there.

Possible explanation

The recent changes were unexpected, but they simply may be the result of a long coaching bench. Wojo has been an assistant since 1999 and Collins since 2000, while Carrawell has been involved with Duke athletics since 2007 and Nate since 2008, so that created a bit of a logjam even before Capel's return.

I expect that Collins and Wojo will have head coaching positions fairly soon, and Carrawell and James will be waiting in the wings. Dawkins was at Duke for 12 years before he became a head coach (oops, I mean the Anne and Tony Joseph director of men's basketball) so I guess they are on schedule.

No matter what, there is a lot of assistant coaching talent at Duke and that's a good thing.

Nepotism

That's what all this seems like. Capel; a good hire, fit and transition for him and program. It feels like we are all a family and we want to ensure all of our kids get a good job and are financially secure. Not a bad wish, but Cmon people. K can't get everybody jobs around Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    That's what all this seems like. Capel; a good hire, fit and transition for him and program. It feels like we are all a family and we want to ensure all of our kids get a good job and are financially secure. Not a bad wish, but Cmon people. K can't get everybody jobs around Duke.
    Unless Coach K is somehow related to some of these people I don't see how it can be nepotism .

I don't see the problem here... I mean, how many woman's teams have a guy who won a national championship helping out w/ the team? Seems like a win for the young ladies.

I've also always considered Coach K's willingness to employ his former players as a bit of a recruiting tool. If you know that coming to Duke could possibly lead to a future coaching basketball if your NBA dreams don't work out... wouldn't that be a draw? Seems to me like Wojo and Collins are doing quite well for themselves.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Why not hire someone that is familiar with what you are trying to teach? To get this somewhat back on target, Coach P replaced Samantha Williams (she left for Louiville this week) with Candice Jackson. Jackson was one of P's recruits at Michigan State.
    A four-year letterwinner at Michigan State from 2000-04, Jackson played as a guard for McCallie and was Coach P's first recruit at MSU. Jackson served as team captain as both a junior and a senior and led the team to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2003 and 2004.
    I'm sure down the line McCallie is going to have some of her Duke players on the bench as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Does Carrawell's new gig with the women's team mean that he'll no longer be performing his duties with the men's program? That seems to be the assumption, but judging from the explanation of his anticipated duties with the women's team, it seems that he might be able to fill both roles, although I'm not sure when he'd sleep.

Certainly doesn't hurt his ability to give his son-in-law and daughters "jobs" within the program...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post
    Certainly doesn't hurt his ability to give his son-in-law and daughters "jobs" within the program...
    You know, I think I'm a long-lost K relative...lol