Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

God's Gift to St.John's

Some stud Juco named God's Gift Achiuwa has committed to play basketball at St John's. I understand the religious passions of some folks, but the following paragraph made me chuckle.

God's Gift (20) is the third of six children born to Eunice and Donatus Achiuwa of Port Harcourt, Nigeria. He has one older brother, Promise, and two younger brothers, God's Will and Precious. He also has one older sister, Grace, and one younger sister, Peace.
    -Jason "I mean, you could have gone with Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and still shown your love of the bible" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Some stud Juco named God's Gift Achiuwa has committed to play basketball at St John's. I understand the religious passions of some folks, but the following paragraph made me chuckle.

-Jason "I mean, you could have gone with Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and still shown your love of the bible" Evans
    I'm not sure Grace and/or Peace would have been happy going through life named after any of the first four books of the New Testament. Now, Ruth, Rachel and Mary are nice names.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm not sure Grace and/or Peace would have been happy going through life named after any of the first four books of the New Testament. Now, Ruth, Rachel and Mary are nice names.
    I'm still waiting for some television producer to launch Nimrod's Babble, pundits sitting around a table screaming at each other without understanding a word anyone else says...I guess that idea's a little worn out.

My wife and I had a terrible time deciding what to name our 2nd son. When we left the hospital, with him we still didn't have agreeable options worked out. The nurses told us that they needed it back within x number of days or he would legally be named "Baby boy Wilko" ...

at least his parents filled out the paperwork. Gods Gift Achiuwa sounds better than Baby boy Achiuwa.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I'm still waiting for some television producer to launch Nimrod's Babble, pundits sitting around a table screaming at each other without understanding a word anyone else says...I guess that idea's a little worn out.
    Watch CSPAN. It's been done.

His real last name--"Bless You"--was omitted for some reason.

Yikes, is St. John's still on future schedules?

The Devils don't do well against Deities. God Shammgod from Providence tore us up in the NCAA Tournament.

Well they could have named them all George...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0286040/bio

The Tabloids

There are headline writers at the New York Post and New York Daily News dancing in the street because of this news.

Makes me think of Bill Cosby: Himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYVqMj5i6k

Just thought I'd point out that God's Gift only managed 4 points today, 4 fouls, and 5 rebounds in today's loss. Thought it was cool we had a thread on him already.

Sign at today's game

A student had a great sign today

"I hope God's Gift got a receipt"

One of the best signs I've seen in Cameron in a while

Where is God Shammgod these days? He and Austin Croshere ate our lunch in 1997.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    A student had a great sign today

"I hope God's Gift got a receipt"

One of the best signs I've seen in Cameron in a while

Yes, that one was good. I think there's a picture of it on DukeBluePlanet. Another good one was the
    sign against the Quakers that said "Turn the Quakers into oatmeal."

Very funny. Only thing is that we fail to to either understand or care what our posts communicate. A Nigerian minister and his wife have followed the same theme in naming their kids. If I were not so invested, I would hate Duke on this one. Stop. Now.
    Last edited by Verga3; 01-28-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Native, a regular poster on this board, dressed as Jesus and held a sign saying "No, I'M God's gift!"

I think it was easily the best sign/costume combo I've seen in Cameron since I've been here.

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    Very funny. Only thing is that we fail to to either understand or care what our posts communicate. A Nigerian minister and his wife have followed the same theme in naming their kids. If I were not so invested, I would hate Duke on this one. Stop. Now.
    Thank you for your post. If I heard correctly, this is his given name. So as far as I'm concerned, this does not lend itself being like all of the other "name changes to attract attintion" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Thank you for your post. If I heard correctly, this is his given name. So as far as I'm concerned, this does not lend itself being like all of the other "name changes to attract attintion" crowd.
    Yes. The other kid's name's are like "hope" and "love"...while It's certainly fair to poke fun of it at cameron, its totally unacceptable to continue to ravage the guy on this board (after having a bad game) because his parents gave him a name which might be seen as narcissistic by some
    1200. DDMF.

I hardly think anyone has given the kid a hard time on this board. Not one disparaging thing has actually been said about HIM - or his NAME. In fact, it's such a unique name that I'm sure he's heard things a 1000 times worse. Imagine how many folks have thought he was playing around on applications and such. Truthfully, his name tells us exactly HOW his parents feel about him which is a pretty deep message to send. Not just all that, but the kid actually has some gifts and he's attending college for free.

Now it's be different if say, his mother already had a grown son named Allen Iverson and then turned around and named her newborn MISTER Allen Iverson. Oh wait...

It is still better than changing your name to Metta Worl Peace.