Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If it is certainly "ok to poke fun of the kid in Cameron," then why is it unacceptable to do so on the Internet? That is not based in logic at all.

I personally don't care to poke fun at the kid for his name, and I certainly am not going to "disparage" him for it. With that said, if the kid's parents didn't want their child to be poked fun at, then they would have thought of a more subtle name than what essentially translates to Baby Jesus. It is true that these may be deeply religious people, and I am sure that they are, but when is the last time that a devout baptist named their kid Holy Ghost?

Let's just keep the good-humored nature of the posts above in perspective. Nobody here is throwing "God's Gift" into a pond of fire. Rather, just pointing out that the name is an odd choice. Like the name La-a (Ladasha).

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    If it is certainly "ok to poke fun of the kid in Cameron," then why is it unacceptable to do so on the Internet? That is not based in logic at all.

I personally don't care to poke fun at the kid for his name, and I certainly am not going to "disparage" him for it. With that said, if the kid's parents didn't want their child to be poked fun at, then they would have thought of a more subtle name than what essentially translates to Baby Jesus. It is true that these may be deeply religious people, and I am sure that they are, but when is the last time that a devout baptist named their kid Holy Ghost?

Let's just keep the good-humored nature of the posts above in perspective. Nobody here is throwing "God's Gift" into a pond of fire. Rather, just pointing out that the name is an odd choice. Like the name La-a (Ladasha).
    because belittling him here is not going to help us win a basketball game...but then again, thinking about some of the other nastiness that is said about opposing players/coaches here, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

I thought about this too. And, I certainly don't know at all, but I wonder if, when they named him, they had any thoughts that he may eventually go to the USA for school, sports, life... where such "poking fun" is essentially the norm. Maybe in his country, his name is accepted as is.

They dropped the God's part of his name

Did anybody else notice the announcer state that he and others will refer to him as Gift rather than God's Gift, just thought it was a strange PC thing to say/ bring up!

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    Did anybody else notice the announcer state that he and others will refer to him as Gift rather than God's Gift, just thought it was a strange PC thing to say/ bring up!
    Are you talking about on TV? In Cameron, it was God'sgift Achuwa goes to the line or replaces whoever.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    because belittling him here is not going to help us win a basketball game...but then again, thinking about some of the other nastiness that is said about opposing players/coaches here, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised
    I don't think anything posted or not posted here helps us win basketball games. Not even the blue-white scrimmage. I don't think anyone here has posted anything worth chastising for; there has been nothing over-the-top, just a few jokes about a highly unusual name (I mean, it's possessive! Come on now!)

@lilblue
    Yeah I heard the announcers speak for a moment about how they were only referring to him as "Gift" but can't remember the preceding rationale. I just remember it was much later in the game than I was expecting for them to broach the topic. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

PS- Natives costume was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Are you talking about on TV? In Cameron, it was God'sgift Achuwa goes to the line or replaces whoever.
    Yeah it was on TV, it was late in the game and seemed a bit out of place and strange to bring up at all.

a thought

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yikes, is St. John's still on future schedules?

The Devils don't do well against Deities.
    HMMMM...maybe the devils aren't supposed to do well against Deities...

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    Actually it would probably make sense for announcers to refer to all players by their last names only (unless they are Plumlees, or when there are games with two players who share a common last name). It would avoid the far-too-frequent butchering of the pronunciation of foreign or unusual first names.