Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Who is Ryan Feldman and who are his multiple sources close to Barnes? The front page claims Barnes has announced his intention to return. But there are no quotes from Barnes anywhere saying this. So why has no major news outlet, UNC, Barnes himself, or anyone reliable said that? I have no inside info. DBR has a no rumor-mongering policy. There are links, but are they credible? I'm just asking. This sounds very premature unless someone knows something.
    Did not even make the local news- even the rumor. Either no one cares that he has announced or there is no announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Leck View Post
    no speculation in this post, simply a reaction to the intial post's assertion that if barnes returns the pendulem swings back to the holes next year.

if he does, they'll be great. no doubt about it. but they're definitely flawed w/ only zeller and henson on the front line, obviously desmond hubert will be forced into minutes immediately...and he ain't ready like justin knox was. if either zeller or henson get into foul trouble, they're in trouble (think kentucky).

honestly, i see our trajectory next season as being similar to carolina's this past year. we're gonna struggle early and have some growing pains, but come mid-march...no one will want to play us. we'll be dangerous. as will carolina. so i think the pendulem isn't swinging as far to their side as some might think.
    Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but they also got 5-star PF James McAdoo up front.

That said, until a few Wildcats declare for the draft, I think Kentucky is still better than UNC on paper (even if Barnes returns).

Let's hope the skyper from he cornfields returns. It will be all the more satisfying to beat them and expose the bubba wannabe coach as totally overrated.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Who is Todd Zeller?
    Tyler Zeller. My apologies. Don't know where the Todd came from.

To be fair, he does look like a Todd.

Expect Humble Harry to return. His deal with Jordan will be waiting for him whenever he chooses to go pro.

And if he flops, he can always follow in Tyler Hansbrough's footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4life92 View Post
    I can believe it,heck,imo this kid is so vain that he knows he is'nt going to be #1 in the draft and probably can't stand the thought it.He's ego would be crushed.He'll return and try again to be projected as #1 overall pick in the draft next year.Jmo,but i could care less either way,give em hell duke no matter who you play!
    Where do people get that his ego is so much larger than the rest of the college basketball worlds? Yes. He skyped his announcement. He also had the entire world telling him he was the best college basketball recruit since Carmello Anthony, and had two of the most storied programs in NCAA history coming after him with the full court press.

I didn't see anything in the way he acted during the year that made me think his ego was out of control. He didn't throw teammates under the bus when he was struggling, he didn't conduct me first interviews, and by all accounts, he was a great teammate.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

HB met with Roy yesterday around 1:45. In this meeting, HB reportedly told Roy that he was leaning toward the NBA. The more and more I think about it, I wonder if HB is just playing a little game.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    HB met with Roy yesterday around 1:45. In this meeting, HB reportedly told Roy that he was leaning toward the NBA. The more and more I think about it, I wonder if HB is just playing a little game.
    Can you provide a legitimate source to back up this post? Or, is this just a rumor? Rumor mongering is frowned upon at DBR.
    Bob Green

HB?

Playing a little game?

Nah, couldn't be talking about the same fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Can you provide a legitimate source to back up this post? Or, is this just a rumor? Rumor mongering is frowned upon at DBR.
    Since this is a thread based on speculation, I do not see my post as an infraction. Having said that, I expect an email any second now banning me for a few days.

I stand by what I have posted and I cannot post a link to it because it is also frowned upon. Take it for what is, but I think it is valid information.

I stand by what I have posted and I cannot post a link to it because it is also frowned upon.
    Ah, a thread at IC? That's about as reliable as a screen door on a submarine.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    This was a post in the comments below Feldman's article from someone claiming to be on the Daily Tar Heel staff...

"As a member of the news organization closest to the team, this is much more than irresponsible reporting--it's a flat out lie. You don't know if he's coming back because he's never said one way or the other. He said he hasn't decided and has no timeline for deciding. If he had decided, there would have been a press release from the University, just as there was a press release for the announcement that Henson, Zeller and the others would be returning. And it's no question that the DTH would have run the story since we've been covering University news for... I don't know... Maybe 118 years? Your claims are false, you have no attribution or facts to support your argument. You're speculating at best, and your speculations aren't even well-informed. Try educating yourself, please. And when we're this close to the guys (closer than I'm sure you'll ever be) I can say with confidence that if anyone knows what his decision is, it would be his coach, his teammates, the University, and us."

I'm a little surprised that DBR may have jumped the gun on this. Do J&B have some other sources?????

Hey, I agree with Wheat, don't call me out for speculation when this thread was started based on information from a speculative article.

Come on Bob, you are better than that...

Hey, I agree with Wheat, don't call me out for speculation when this thread was started based on information from a speculative article.

Come on Bob, you are better than that...
    It is one thing to post a link to an article, qualifying it by stating upfront that you question the source, and then speculate as to the validity or potential implications of said article. That is a discussion, not rumor mongering.

On the other hand, to state, as if it were fact, that a meeting has taken place between a player and coach and to report statements made in that meeting without siting a source is rumor mongering. If you'd like to push your mockery of this forum and its rules further, I'd be happy to comply with your suggestion of another vacation.

The question I keep asking is why is Kyrie so much more valuable than HB? The answers I come up with are:
    Coaching K taught vs. Ol'Roy coached
    Maturity Kyrie was ready for excellence on the court immediately and exhibited tremendous maturity throughout his injury, always supporting his teammates.
    How he handled his college recruitment (Skypeless with class).
    Overall how Kyrie carries himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    The question I keep asking is why is Kyrie so much more valuable than HB? The answers I come up with are:
    Maturity Kyrie was ready for excellence on the court immediately and exhibited tremendous maturity throughout his injury, always supporting his teammates.

I think its laughable that you would attribute KI's early success on anything other than he skill level and athletic ability. HB skillset was not ready for the college level and I believe he is not ready currently for the NBA. I think K is a better coach than Roy, but to say that K taught him and that Roy coached HB seems to be opposite from how it actually played out. KI was amazing right off the bat. The first 8 games he played placed him firmly as the #1 prospect in the NBA draft. The first half of HB's season, HB played well below expectations. At the end, he improved enough to regain top draft status. So, looking at these two scenarios, one player got better throughout the year, the other player basically came into college prepared to play at the next level, both physically and in level of skill. However, your perspective is noted.

I understand you feel that HB was classless for using Skype to make his announcement, but as someone else pointed out in this thread, how has he shown great immaturity? By picking UNC over Duke? By a nickname given to him by ESPN?

http://www.tarheeltimes.com/article29902.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Maybe it's more a matter of position-specific skills. For his position of PG, Kyrie has top-quality skills, esp an amazing handle-in-speed. He uses both hands when attacking the rim.

Barnes, OTOH, while also a fine, fine talent, just yet lacks the kind of smooth handle NBA folks [I assume] value in SFs. I wondered throughout the season why HB settled so frequently for outside shots. Perhaps he understood that his handle, undoubtedly a strength at HS-level, was adequate but not great for ACC-level.

Both are special talents, and likely clutch players even at the next level, but right now Kyrie is more clearly ready to play efficiently at the highest level. Kyrie is a much more exciting player than Barnes. Even the also-exciting Jimmer and Kemba aren't going to go #1-2. I'd guess Minnesota will do almost anything other than offer Kevin Love in a trade, to trade up to #1 if they fall to #2-4 in the lottery. [I don't know crap about the NBA, so anyone feel free to correct my outrageous speculation here, if it's outrageous.]

Barnes does have a somewhat more difficult decision to make than did Kyrie. There is surely just a bit of an ego-thing involved [possibly for Kyrie, definitely for Barnes]. For example, had Sullinger and Jones [Baylor] opted to leave college, I'd guess - repeat: guess - that Barnes would be more likely to stay at UNC. But since they both appear to be staying in college, that means Barnes moves up to top 5, probably, making it a bit more tempting to leave now.

if the nba adopts a 2 and done rule, barnes would still be top 5 next year. he could even without it, but with it, it's difficult to imagine him not being up there.
    Last edited by fgb; 04-16-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: i meant nbs, not nbs.

I think its laughable that you would attribute KI's early success on anything other than he skill level and athletic ability. HB skillset was not ready for the college level and I believe he is not ready currently for the NBA. I think K is a better coach than Roy, but to say that K taught him and that Roy coached HB seems to be opposite from how it actually played out.[/url]
    This isn't baseball. Part of a coach's job is designing a system that displays his player's strengths and hides their weaknesses. Krzyzewski revamped Duke's entire approach on offense and defense to take advantage of Irving's skills, and the results were remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Where do people get that his ego is so much larger than the rest of the college basketball worlds? Yes. He skyped his announcement. He also had the entire world telling him he was the best college basketball recruit since Carmello Anthony, and had two of the most storied programs in NCAA history coming after him with the full court press.

I didn't see anything in the way he acted during the year that made me think his ego was out of control. He didn't throw teammates under the bus when he was struggling, he didn't conduct me first interviews, and by all accounts, he was a great teammate.
    I have often wondered the same. I admit that the Skype acceptance was a little over the top, but other than that I don't see much call for calling the kid arrogant. Obviously, he has confidence- you must if you are going to take and hit the clutch shots. But his behavior at UNC has been impressive both on and off the court, especially considering the way he struggled on the court for the first time in his life.