Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Barnes officially announces he is staying at UNC

So, as linked on the front page, maybe Barnes plans to return next year.

Surely UNC has to be considered the prohibitive preseason #1 at that point.

Ah, well, the pendulum swings both ways...

-jk

Obviously. I hope the "multiple sources" are correct...and I'm sure the guys here must think Feldman has some credibility, but forgive me if I wait until I see an official announcement...

I am not gonna believe anything until UNC or Barnes personally make an announcement. Yesterday the word was there is no decision and it will take another week...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So, as linked on the front page, maybe Barnes plans to return next year.

Surely UNC has to be considered the prohibitive preseason #1 at that point.

Ah, well, the pendulum swings both ways...

-jk
    Yeah, I agree with other posters I'm not sure if his sources are going to pan out. I've not heard this mentioned by some of the best in the business yet...

This was a post in the comments below Feldman's article from someone claiming to be on the Daily Tar Heel staff...

"As a member of the news organization closest to the team, this is much more than irresponsible reporting--it's a flat out lie. You don't know if he's coming back because he's never said one way or the other. He said he hasn't decided and has no timeline for deciding. If he had decided, there would have been a press release from the University, just as there was a press release for the announcement that Henson, Zeller and the others would be returning. And it's no question that the DTH would have run the story since we've been covering University news for... I don't know... Maybe 118 years? Your claims are false, you have no attribution or facts to support your argument. You're speculating at best, and your speculations aren't even well-informed. Try educating yourself, please. And when we're this close to the guys (closer than I'm sure you'll ever be) I can say with confidence that if anyone knows what his decision is, it would be his coach, his teammates, the University, and us."

I'm a little surprised that DBR may have jumped the gun on this. Do J&B have some other sources?????

I must say this is quite ridiculous and makes me almost happy that Kyrie told us his decision right away. I can't believe how many people seem to just make up stories to get readers/followers.
    First this radio moderator from Iowa, who seems to claim everyday that Barnes is going to announce tomorrow, now this.

Jeff Goodman (Fox Sports) yesterday: "Shirley Barnes, Harrison's mother, was adamant to me that no decision has been made yet. Said decision likely next week on his future."

Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by fh84 View Post
    I must say this is quite ridiculous and makes me almost happy that Kyrie told us his decision right away. I can't believe how many people seem to just make up stories to get readers/followers.
    First this radio moderator from Iowa, who seems to claim everyday that Barnes is going to announce tomorrow, now this.

Jeff Goodman (Fox Sports) yesterday: "Shirley Barnes, Harrison's mother, was adamant to me that no decision has been made yet. Said decision likely next week on his future."

Who knows...
    The people on IC are refuting this too, Idk if its true

This was on twitter...

@DukeHoopBlog C ya Barnes...

I assume this means you think he will enter the draft?

Not buying it

There isn't a single quote from any of the parties involved in this decision, nor from any of the 'multiple sources' listed in the report. I'm calling BS.

He still has until May 8th to withdraw from the draft, if he was to decide to enter, as long as he does not hire an agent.

Kyrie too, right? I don't think he has signed with an agent either.

Unless he was sure he wants to stay, which he must not be, the smart thing would be to declare...pass on hiring and agent, and pull out on May 7th if he wants.

How much more name recognition will he get nationally in the press the longer he waits? Why not play it out to his future professional benefit? His decision is not hurting UNC's recruiting plans, so there is really no downside that I see here in testing things...surprising events could still happen before the deadline that could benefit his position.

Declare, and pull out May7th if he wants to...that's what I'd probably do...

Harrison Barnes is the real deal. It's pretty obvious by the way he played, especially towards the second half of the season. And as far as being a huge ACC fan, I'm happy to have a star commit. and he will help Duke reach the competitiveness we need.

And to be honest, i love his game. i just wish he wasn't a tar heel.

The bottom line is this: I don't give a rat's patuey who Carolina has. Bring it on.
    Last edited by rthomas; 04-15-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    ~rthomas

Article says:

[With Barnes returning to school, the 2012 NBA Draft is shaping up to be one of the deepest and most talented drafts in recent memory and could include other sophomore standouts such as Ohio State's Jared Sullinger and Baylor's Perry Jones, along with a potential slew of talented freshman.
    If story is true the biggest loser in all this (besides unc's opponents) is Todd Zeller. He was projected a fringe 1st round pick this year. He'll be lucky to get drafted next year.

I'm not going to believe any decision until it has been Skyped.

I can believe it,heck,imo this kid is so vain that he knows he is'nt going to be #1 in the draft and probably can't stand the thought it.He's ego would be crushed.He'll return and try again to be projected as #1 overall pick in the draft next year.Jmo,but i could care less either way,give em hell duke no matter who you play!

Oh I hope so

They were picked too high pre-season last year and the pollsters couldn't wait to get them back up in the rankings to prove they weren't wrong. Now mind you I'm not saying they weren't good, just too high.

Now they're better this year and they'd have to be picked #1...wouldn't wanna ruin a perfect records =)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    They were picked too high pre-season last year and the pollsters couldn't wait to get them back up in the rankings to prove they weren't wrong. Now mind you I'm not saying they weren't good, just too high.

Now they're better this year and they'd have to be picked #1...wouldn't wanna ruin a perfect records =)
    I predict the entire UNC basketball starting lineup will be pre-season first team All Americans- it is only fitting for the greatest basketball team in our lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by blueduke59 View Post
    If story is true the biggest loser in all this (besides unc's opponents) is Todd Zeller. He was projected a fringe 1st round pick this year. He'll be lucky to get drafted next year.
    Who is Todd Zeller?
    Bob Green

The "Black Falcon" isn't ready for the pros? He was at this time last year!

He would be a higher pick this year than next.

Who is Ryan Feldman and who are his multiple sources close to Barnes? The front page claims Barnes has announced his intention to return. But there are no quotes from Barnes anywhere saying this. So why has no major news outlet, UNC, Barnes himself, or anyone reliable said that? I have no inside info. DBR has a no rumor-mongering policy. There are links, but are they credible? I'm just asking. This sounds very premature unless someone knows something.

no speculation in this post, simply a reaction to the intial post's assertion that if barnes returns the pendulem swings back to the holes next year.

if he does, they'll be great. no doubt about it. but they're definitely flawed w/ only zeller and henson on the front line, obviously desmond hubert will be forced into minutes immediately...and he ain't ready like justin knox was. if either zeller or henson get into foul trouble, they're in trouble (think kentucky).

honestly, i see our trajectory next season as being similar to carolina's this past year. we're gonna struggle early and have some growing pains, but come mid-march...no one will want to play us. we'll be dangerous. as will carolina. so i think the pendulem isn't swinging as far to their side as some might think.