Keith Richards, "Life"

Anyone else read this? I'm about 2/3 through and it is one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. If you can, um, stomach the lifestyle he lived. Crazygood book, especially if you have ever tried to play guitar at a modest level.

It's on the pile and coming up in the rotation. "Keif" rules!

Just now finishing "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" and even though there is no guitar playing, it is a fantastic yarn.

Funny, I started it and got a few hundred pages in and just got bored. I know that the "better" stuff is probably later in life, but the talk of his childhood, which seemed to lack any sort of charm in the writing, just wore me out to where I put the book down and stopped reading it.

I read it a couple of months ago and found it pretty interesting.

Since I was in high school way back when the band became famous, I liked getting the insight into the relationship of the band's members through the 40+ years of their history that I've followed. And it was pretty neat to get Keith's perspective on how he and Jagger worked together - or barely tolerated each other at some times.

And also I never thought there would be any way something like this could be said, but if there's such a thing as being a "really smart heroin addict", that's kind of how Richards comes off in the book. Doing something so extremely destructive to the degree he did, but at the same time being so thoughtful and precise about it has to be extremely rare.

Of course it's pretty startling too in the several cases where Richards discusses associates who HE regarded as serious, extreme, off-the-deep-end drug users. Once Keith Richards pegs you as having a drug problem - you've been put in pretty rare company.

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone that's followed them since the 60's like I have.

The best rock and roll book I have ever read. Keith is definitely smarter than he lets on, and the storys about how the music was made is worth the price of the book.