Removing Latex Paint From Hardwood Floor

Last year we had some built-ins made for our family room, painted with latex paint by the carpenter prior to installing, and then we had our hardwood floor finished with water-based stain. We had to do some touchups on the bottom of the built-in where some stain got on the cabinetry and, when we finished the touch-ups, we noticed some paint on the floor (notwithstanding my painstaking efforts to put down painters tape) right where the cabinetry meets the hardwood. Now we have to carefully remove the paint on the floor, which is a light color and quite noticeable against the dark hardwood.

I've read about different options such as dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and a product called Goof Off. The last thing I want to do is ruin the stain on the floor so I have to be very careful. Any suggestions or tips?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Last year we had some built-ins made for our family room, painted with latex paint by the carpenter prior to installing, and then we had our hardwood floor finished with water-based stain. We had to do some touchups on the bottom of the built-in where some stain got on the cabinetry and, when we finished the touch-ups, we noticed some paint on the floor (notwithstanding my painstaking efforts to put down painters tape) right where the cabinetry meets the hardwood. Now we have to carefully remove the paint on the floor, which is a light color and quite noticeable against the dark hardwood.

I've read about different options such as dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and a product called Goof Off. The last thing I want to do is ruin the stain on the floor so I have to be very careful. Any suggestions or tips?
    If it's latex paint then gently use a paint scraper. As long as you're not gouging the wood or digging into the finish you don't have to worry about the stain. Your concern should be the finish on top of the stain (the polyurethane) not the stain itself. And, since it's a wood floor the finish should be pretty durable. Just be careful not to gouge the wood or dig into the finish.

What about directing some low heat from a hair/blow dryer onto it to soften it up as you scrape?
    If there are any issues afterwards, there is a product called Liquid Gold that might cover up any errant scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    What about directing some low heat from a hair/blow dryer onto it to soften it up as you scrape?
    If there are any issues afterwards, there is a product called Liquid Gold that might cover up any errant scratches.
    The only issue with heat is that you can soften the finish underneath the paint making it easier to gouge the floor.

Mineral Spirits

Judicious use of mineral spirits on a wiping rag should work well on latex paint.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    If it's latex paint then gently use a paint scraper....
    This is my method (after prepping the paint with some nail polish remover).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Judicious use of mineral spirits on a wiping rag should work well on latex paint.
    "Judicious" use of mineral spirits will loosen the finish around the paint. Combine that with wiping and you're sure to loose the finish around the paint. For floors, that's the only thing protecting the floor.

And, if I remember correctly, the finish applied to this particular floor wasn't factory installed so it's a bit thin to begin with.

I'd first try a scraping with a credit card or other thin plastic, or even a fingernail.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

This works well

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I'd first try a scraping with a credit card or other thin plastic, or even a fingernail.
    I just painted a bedroom and got off-white latex ceiling paint splatters on a wooden chair with a walnut stain. A credit card worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I just painted a bedroom and got off-white latex ceiling paint splatters on a wooden chair with a walnut stain. A credit card worked perfectly.
    With a name like yours, you should be an expert on all things painting and walls.

Yikes, nail polish remover (acetone) and mineral spirits to remove some stray latex. Stick to flicking the pieces off with a credit card or a scrapper. For larger areas some warm, soapy water with a rough rag. If you're concerned about the floor find an out of the way spot that's hidden and do a test run.

I have found that an old product, Vitalis Hair Tonic, applied with a clean rag works wonders, but it requires some elbow grease to do the job. I've used it on latex paint on hardwood floors as well as most marks marks on our car. Nail polish remover would do great damage in both cases. Where do those black marks on cars come from?

Vitalis...diesel fuel...kerosene, they're all about the same stuff and should work.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Vitalis...diesel fuel...kerosene, they're all about the same stuff and should work.
    And will also remove the finish from the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Ahahah! What the?! Remove paint from floors with hair oil?!
    And you guys think we women are hair nutty!

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    And will also remove the finish from the floor.

I apologize for omission of in my post. If it was taken seriously, I am truly sorry. The gentle scraping method is the best solution.
    I did assume the problem had been taken of before I wrote anything. After all, it had been 4 days since the question was first raised and the thread had reached the bottom of the page listing.