Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones

Any other fans of the book out there who are super-excited about the upcoming TV version?

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Sort of. The promos I've seen look like they've put some serious effort into making it a worthwhile adaptation. But... well... it seems a bit premature since the darn books aren't close to finished. And Martin seems to be stepping further away from getting them done each day(month... year... whatever), and involving himself in this is one more delay to the next book, which was due to come out what, 2 years ago now?

Very excited about it. Every review I've seen has been very positive.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Sort of. The promos I've seen look like they've put some serious effort into making it a worthwhile adaptation. But... well... it seems a bit premature since the darn books aren't close to finished.
    To be fair, it'll take six or seven years just to adapt the books that are already written at HBO speed. If the series last that long, Martin should have plenty of time to stay ahead of the production.

And Martin seems to be stepping further away from getting them done each day(month... year... whatever), and involving himself in this is one more delay to the next book, which was due to come out what, 2 years ago now?
    July 12.

I've never read the series, and I'm not a huge fantasy buff, but I enjoy Harry Turtledove and just finished his fantastic alt-history Great War series and need something to read. Heard a lot of buzz about the HBO series and have started the first book -- its pretty decent; about 200 pages in...his style is like Turtledove in that he jumps from character to character to show a larger view of whats going on.

Definitely excited but not excited enough to pay for HBO. I am hoping like The Tudors and Weeds it will hit Netflix.

More importantly, will George RR Martin ever finish what he started? The books are epic in scope but I'd like more to be published. Looks like the next one is due in July of this year- a six year wait.

-g

Yea, it's pretty bad (the wait for books, I mean). Not as bad as Jean Auel. who made her fans wait something like 9 years between books each time, but pretty bad. I'm definitely looking forward to the series on HBO, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    ...very positive.
    This is supposed to be ironic right? Because these books are the most depressing downward spiral into unending misery I've read. Seriously, its like Lemony Snicket for adults.

Do yourself a favor guys and go read Patrick Rothfuss instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    This is supposed to be ironic right? Because these books are the most depressing downward spiral into unending misery I've read. Seriously, its like Lemony Snicket for adults.
    I loved the first book, but then the author just kept killing off every single likable character. I don't expect all the 'good guys' to survive, but to have all of them die? and all the 'bad guys' live? Not sure if I will go back to reading this series.

ramdevil

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    This is supposed to be ironic right?
    I suppose you could investigate for yourself, but I've sensed no irony in what I've read about it. Nor do I personally find the books miserable.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ramdevil View Post
    I loved the first book, but then the author just kept killing off every single likable character. I don't expect all the 'good guys' to survive, but to have all of them die? and all the 'bad guys' live? Not sure if I will go back to reading this series.

ramdevil
    I think you are exaggerating pretty badly. I can think of only a couple major likable characters who die through 4 books.
    The villains actually do a heck of a lot worse.

As for misery, I join many, many others in saying my favorite TV show of all time is The Wire. Game of Thrones is definitely not as cruel as that.
    Last edited by darthur; 04-08-2011 at 12:22 AM.

I found it kind of refreshing how many characters, good or bad, die throughout the books. Some authors seem very reluctant to do that.

Thumbs up Game of Thrones - Thoughts? (spoliers - slightly)

Anyone else watch the premiere and have thoughts they want to share?

I thought the sets, costumes and locations were awesome. Having not read the books I really did not know what to expect. For the most part by the end of the episode I was able to keep track of who was who and where they fit in, for instance Ned Stark has a bevy of children (perhaps one less) and it looks like they might play a large role in the series.

I know folks who have read the book will be able to follow the plots much easier and already know things that the rest of us will have to wait for (who are the White Walkers and why did we only see them at the beginning?) but I can see the promise. I don't think it is going to be a series my wife and I will both enjoy such as Deadwood, Sopranos but seems a little more like Carnival where you really have to pay close attention to get the most out of it.

Anyway, I was excited to see it coming out because I like LOTR and books/movies/shows of that nature. It even has Borromir which gave it instant credibility IMB. I'd love to hear what others have to say and start a discussion on the series.

The New Yorker on Martin, his fans and fan entitlement.

I think I posted this on the right board, but I'm not sure.

Before the promos a few months back, I'd never heard of the books or their author, so I'm coming in extremely cold. Also not a huge fan of fantasy fiction. But I liked the pilot a good bit, and will watch again and expect that I'll enjoy this series a lot. This looks like it focuses a heck of a lot more on politics and the greyness and murkiness of morality and life among actual humans than most fantasy, which seems much more archetypal good vs. evil (and for me, ultimately unsatisfying because of it, LOTR notwithstanding).

It does seem like this has the potential to spiral out of control in terms of scope and characters, though. I'm a little confused by the geography, as well. And I was a little offput by the coincidence that the folks from the warm weather climate and with darker skin just so happened to be the ones looked down upon as barbaric and uncivilized and who brawl and kill each other and publicly fornicate at a wedding. If one can imagine an entire alternate universe, why have some particularly ugly stereotypes attached to the same geographical bounds as real Earth history?

I really liked the detail in the little things here - religious elements and rituals, architecture, clothing, social structure - that vary from the history with which we're familiar, and can see myself getting into what I imagine to be elaborate descriptions of them in the books. It seems like Martin created a well-thought out universe that's internally coherent, which will be fascinating by contrasting the differences, and noticing the similarities, it has with our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Before the promos a few months back, I'd never heard of the books or their author, so I'm coming in extremely cold. Also not a huge fan of fantasy fiction. But I liked the pilot a good bit, and will watch again and expect that I'll enjoy this series a lot. This looks like it focuses a heck of a lot more on politics and the greyness and murkiness of morality and life among actual humans than most fantasy, which seems much more archetypal good vs. evil (and for me, ultimately unsatisfying because of it, LOTR notwithstanding).

It does seem like this has the potential to spiral out of control in terms of scope and characters, though. I'm a little confused by the geography, as well. And I was a little offput by the coincidence that the folks from the warm weather climate and with darker skin just so happened to be the ones looked down upon as barbaric and uncivilized and who brawl and kill each other and publicly fornicate at a wedding. If one can imagine an entire alternate universe, why have some particularly ugly stereotypes attached to the same geographical bounds as real Earth history?

I really liked the detail in the little things here - religious elements and rituals, architecture, clothing, social structure - that vary from the history with which we're familiar, and can see myself getting into what I imagine to be elaborate descriptions of them in the books. It seems like Martin created a well-thought out universe that's internally coherent, which will be fascinating by contrasting the differences, and noticing the similarities, it has with our own.
    I've read all four books in the series, and many of your observations are apt. It's very much not the tired, traditional fantasy story. It does very much focus on the characters and the politics. And like you said, there isn't always a stark (ha ha) line between good and evil.

I didn't catch the start of the series, but I'll think I'll have to catch it on a repeat. I can't wait for the fifth book to (hopefully) come out this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    And I was a little offput by the coincidence that the folks from the warm weather climate and with darker skin just so happened to be the ones looked down upon as barbaric and uncivilized and who brawl and kill each other and publicly fornicate at a wedding. If one can imagine an entire alternate universe, why have some particularly ugly stereotypes attached to the same geographical bounds as real Earth history?
    Like many of the things in the books, the answer is this universe is designed to very closely match our own. The Seven Kingdoms are pretty heavily inspired by medieval England, and the Dothraki are pretty heavily inspired by the Mongol legends.

I have no idea how realistic or unrealistic those Mongol legends are, but I think you'll find that the story becomes rather more sympathetic to (and respectful of) the Dothraki than it does to many of the "civilized" white characters. So hopefully, you'll enjoy their portrayal more as the show goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    Anyone else watch the premiere and have thoughts they want to share?

I thought the sets, costumes and locations were awesome. Having not read the books I really did not know what to expect. For the most part by the end of the episode I was able to keep track of who was who and where they fit in, for instance Ned Stark has a bevy of children (perhaps one less) and it looks like they might play a large role in the series.

I know folks who have read the book will be able to follow the plots much easier and already know things that the rest of us will have to wait for (who are the White Walkers and why did we only see them at the beginning?) but I can see the promise. I don't think it is going to be a series my wife and I will both enjoy such as Deadwood, Sopranos but seems a little more like Carnival where you really have to pay close attention to get the most out of it.

Anyway, I was excited to see it coming out because I like LOTR and books/movies/shows of that nature. It even has Borromir which gave it instant credibility IMB. I'd love to hear what others have to say and start a discussion on the series.
    I loved it! I read the books and had watched all the trailers though so I knew exactly what to expect, and knew I'd love it .

I enjoyed the premier, but I can see how it is difficult to follow. I have read all the books in the past two weeks. I think they could have done a little better job.

The kings visit was the perfect opportunity to clearly introduce the names of the Stark children. Overall I enjoyed it; its just little things that bother me -- like the opening sequence -- its not the young one who escapes to be beheaded, but the old cautious one.

Btw, the opening map sequence was great, I love it!

As to someones earlier comments about female characters, you will find that as the story goes on female characters take a larger role. I am on the 4th book right now, and virtually all the character perspectives are females. 6/8 more or less.

Anyone actively watching this series?

The second episode was able to flesh out the characters a bit more and advanced the story to (almost) Kings Landing. I have been really impressed with the casting so far. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister (the dwarf) has really stolen the show thusfar. He is one of the best characters in the book and its apparent in the show.

The first couple of episodes are always akward because I have reconcile the appearance of the characters in my mind with those on the screen. Cercei, Tyrion, the Stark kids mesh almost perfectly with my preconceptions. Robert Baratheon (should be a little taller), Jaime Lannister (should be a little smaller, look more like his sister, long hair), Joffery (should be a little bigger -- want to see some youthful pudge and long hair) will take some getting used to. Sandor Clegane (the Dog -- Joff's gaurd) I had always pictured like Mark Strong but with a burnt face...I always pictured him bald -- he is my stock face for a bald guy with a dark character. Never pictured him with hair for some reason.