Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Mambo View Post
    Does anyone know if this game will actually be in Columbus or if it will be at the Q (where the Cavs play) in Cleveland? I'm hoping the latter because with a then 8 month old baby, I dont think my wife will let me drive all the way to Columbus (5 hours round trip + game time + "celebrating Duke's win" time), especially since she is not really a Duke (or college basketball) fan. The Q I could swing.

P.S. Does anybody know a good marriage counselor for husbands who's wives are not Duke (or college basketball) fans?
    Just dump the wife and start over.

Duke vs Washington Dec 10, MSG, NYC

Duke will play Washington in MSG on December 10th according to a recent tweet by Sir Andy Katz.

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz
    Washington also goes to New York to play Duke on Dec. 10. That's quite a week for the Huskies. Marquette and Duke in MSG in a week.

What we know

November 15 - Duke vs Mich St - Madison Square Garden
    November 21-23 Duke @ Maui Invitational (3 games)
    November 29 - Duke @ Ohio St - Columbus
    December 10 - Duke vs Washington - Madison Square Garden
    January 4 - Duke @ Temple - Philly

What else do we have with definite dates?

I must say, this upcoming season schedule is going to be one of the toughest ones in recent years. A lot of traveling miles with the summer trip as well. I hope these trips won't wear down our young team, but these games are going to be exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    November 15 - Duke vs Mich St - Madison Square Garden
    November 21-23 Duke @ Maui Invitational (3 games)
    November 29 - Duke @ Ohio St - Columbus
    December 10 - Duke vs Washington - Madison Square Garden
    January 4 - Duke @ Temple - Philly

What else do we have with definite dates?
    That covers everything with a definitive date so far. That's 7 games away from Cameron right there and given how Duke has scheduled recently, I would expect that to be it. There are 8 other non-conference games. If all were at home, it would mean a total of 16 home games which seems about right. We know for sure that there will be a Maui home game between Nov. 11 and Nov.17.

The final 7 games will likely have 5 before conference play, with 2 games to fill in the ACC off days. Unless something drastic happens in cancelling the series, I would expect one of those two to be St. John's. I would guess that the other one will be a guarantee game with a mid-major from a high-level conference (A-10, C-USA, etc.). That leaves 5 before conference play. Those 5 will be some kind of mix of low and mid majors, trying to guess teams who will have a decent year for RPI.

Duke will play Washington in MSG on December 10th according to a recent tweet by Sir Andy Katz.

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz
    Washington also goes to New York to play Duke on Dec. 10. That's quite a week for the Huskies. Marquette and Duke in MSG in a week.
    Sounds good. I don't think we've played them since Detlef and Christian Welp came into Cameron in the mid-80s and left with an L.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Sounds good. I don't think we've played them since Detlef and Christian Welp came into Cameron in the mid-80s and left with an L.
    Duke beat Washington 74-64 on 12/23/89:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19891223
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I would guess that the other one will be a guarantee game with a mid-major from a high-level conference (A-10, C-USA, etc.). That leaves 5 before conference play. Those 5 will be some kind of mix of low and mid majors, trying to guess teams who will have a decent year for RPI.
    Davidson will play at Cameron next season, and gets a return game at Bobcats Arena the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by davidson View Post
    Davidson will play at Cameron next season, and gets a return game at Bobcats Arena the following year.
    Really?
    That is great - Duke has a long history with Davidson, going back at least to when I was at Duke (which was a long, long time ago) but I am very surprised we would play home and home rather than something like Cameron and Charlotte.

TZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Really?
    That is great - Duke has a long history with Davidson, going back at least to when I was at Duke (which was a long, long time ago) but I am very surprised we would play home and home rather than something like Cameron and Charlotte.

TZ
    Bobcats Arena is Charlotte, not the Davidson (Wildcats) stadium.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke beat Washington 74-64 on 12/23/89:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19891223
    You're right. There was that one. But I had in mind the Jan. 12, 1985 game in Cameron, which we won by 12. Johnny D. led us with 19 while Detlef led U-Dub with 15. I was there for that one. Boxscore is here.

The teams also played in Hec Edmundson in January of 1989, in which the Devils, in Danny Ferry and Quin Snyder's senior year (hence the trip to Washington in the Mercer Islander's honor) blew out the Huskies by 26.

Talking Home and Not Quite Home?

Quote Originally Posted by davidson View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Really?

TZ
    Bobcats Arena is not, strictly speaking, a home game for the Davidson Wildcats. Davidson did not play a single game at the Charlotte facility in 2011.

Davidson will wear HOME unis and have the choice of benches and locker rooms (Oooohhh!) It likely will have a HOME CROWD, unless the Blue Devil jump on tickets early. [Hint.]

Davidson will have HOME COOKING, in that the Bobcats Arena is only 22 miles (33 mins.) from campus, and don't have to make this a road trip. Duke's travel, while hardly daunting, is 141 miles and 2:30 hours.

But the Wildcast DO NOT have HOME COURT because of the unfamiliarity of the arena and rims. In fact, Duke played two more games there in 2011 than Davidson because of the NCAAs.

FWIW Davidson beat Duke back in December 1962 at Charlotte Coliseum, one of only two regular season losses for Duke's first Final Four team. Lefty was just getting started, and this was his signature win. Duke won the rematch a year later at Indoor Stadium, 82-75, en route to a second Final Four. But IIRC there was a lot of post-game bluster from Driesell about refs, crowds, whatever.

sagegrouse

You're right. There was that one. But I had in mind the Jan. 12, 1985 game in Cameron, which we won by 12. Johnny D. led us with 19 while Detlef led U-Dub with 15. I was there for that one.
    Was that the famous Der-wulf game? ("Airball" in German)

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz
    Absolutely love this game. Wish we saw more of the Pac-10 (or 12?) teams play during the course of the year. Hopefully their new tv deal helps.

duke-davidson

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    FWIW Davidson beat Duke back in December 1962 at Charlotte Coliseum, one of only two regular season losses for Duke's first Final Four team. Lefty was just getting started, and this was his signature win. Duke won the rematch a year later at Indoor Stadium, 82-75, en route to a second Final Four. But IIRC there was a lot of post-game bluster from Driesell about refs, crowds, whatever.

sagegrouse
    Just to embellish your point, sage ... that Davidson win in 1962 (it was actually Dec. 18, 1962 ... so it was part of the 1963 Final Four season) was memorable for a couple of reasons.

First, it was the second Duke-Davidson game that season. The two teams opened the season in Duke Indoor Stadium (not yet re-named Cameron) on Dec. 1, 1962. Duke won 76-68. When they met again 17 days later in Charlotte, Davidson won 72-69.

The star of that Davidson team was Fred Hetzel, a 6-8 All-American who wanted to play for Duke. But Bubas had used his last scholarship that season for Bill Bradley, who didn't let Bubas know he was not coming until the first of September. Because of his deceit, Duke lost Hetzel to Davidson ... and Hetzel ripped Duke for 27 points and 17 rebounds in the game in Charlotte. Also starting for the 'Cats that night was Terry Holland, who didn't do much damage (5 points, 4 rebounds).

A year later, it was a huge came when No. 4 Davidson came to No. 5 Duke on Feb. 15. A newspaper article in a Charlotte paper ripped Duke center Jay Buckley, who was inspired to go match Hetzel in the middle. His play hlped Duke to an 82-75 vicory. As sage notes, afterwards, Lefty was particularly boorish -- he said Bubas was a coward for refusing to play at Davidson (the contract was home and home, but Davidson's "home" games were played in the Charlotte Coliseum). A lot of Duke people think Lefty blew his chance to succeed Bubas with his postgame tirade that night.

Duke and Davidson have a long, LONG history. Back in the Southern Conference days, they were big rivals. Indeed, most of the media in those days talked about the Big Five (not the Big Four) wih Davidson the fifth North Carolina member of the conference.

Most of the Duke AT Davidson games since 1960 have been played in the Charlotte Coliseum (either the old one on Independence Blvd. or the second one on Tyvola Road). But Duke did help Davidson break in its new on-campus facility with an 89-44 win there on Dec. 21, 1989.

Davidson handed Coach K one of his embarrassing early career losses with a 73-71 win in Cameron on Dec. 29, 1981. But since then, Duke has won 22 straight from the Wildcats.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... Bubas had used his last scholarship that season for Bill Bradley, who didn't let Bubas know he was not coming until the first of September. Because of his deceit, Duke lost Hetzel to Davidson ...
    It wasn't "deceit" on Bradley's part, was it? I thought the story was something like pressure (or more) from his dad at the last minute. It's not like Dollar Bill knew all along he was bailing on Duke, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Was that the famous Der-wulf game? ("Airball" in German)
    Now that I don't remember. Anyone else there for that one?

Now that I don't remember. Anyone else there for that one?
    I looked it up. The 1985 game was in fact the origin of the legendary German Airball chant:

"Six years later [in 1985], Washington All-American Detlef Schrempf was greeted as he attempted a free throw with "fehlwurf" - German for airball."
    (link)

"When Washington star Detlef Schrempf would shoot free throws in a 1985 game, he got a dose of "air ball" with a Duke twist. They gave it to him in his native tongue, German.

'Fehlwurf. Fehlwurf.'"

(link)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just to embellish your point, sage ... that Davidson win in 1962 (it was actually Dec. 18, 1962 ... so it was part of the 1963 Final Four season) was memorable for a couple of reasons.

First, it was the second Duke-Davidson game that season. The two teams opened the season in Duke Indoor Stadium (not yet re-named Cameron) on Dec. 1, 1962. Duke won 76-68. When they met again 17 days later in Charlotte, Davidson won 72-69.

The star of that Davidson team was Fred Hetzel, a 6-8 All-American who wanted to play for Duke. But Bubas had used his last scholarship that season for Bill Bradley, who didn't let Bubas know he was not coming until the first of September. Because of his deceit, Duke lost Hetzel to Davidson ... and Hetzel ripped Duke for 27 points and 17 rebounds in the game in Charlotte. Also starting for the 'Cats that night was Terry Holland, who didn't do much damage (5 points, 4 rebounds).

A year later, it was a huge came when No. 4 Davidson came to No. 5 Duke on Feb. 15. A newspaper article in a Charlotte paper ripped Duke center Jay Buckley, who was inspired to go match Hetzel in the middle. His play hlped Duke to an 82-75 vicory. As sage notes, afterwards, Lefty was particularly boorish -- he said Bubas was a coward for refusing to play at Davidson (the contract was home and home, but Davidson's "home" games were played in the Charlotte Coliseum). A lot of Duke people think Lefty blew his chance to succeed Bubas with his postgame tirade that night.

Duke and Davidson have a long, LONG history. Back in the Southern Conference days, they were big rivals. Indeed, most of the media in those days talked about the Big Five (not the Big Four) wih Davidson the fifth North Carolina member of the conference.

Most of the Duke AT Davidson games since 1960 have been played in the Charlotte Coliseum (either the old one on Independence Blvd. or the second one on Tyvola Road). But Duke did help Davidson break in its new on-campus facility with an 89-44 win there on Dec. 21, 1989.

Davidson handed Coach K one of his embarrassing early career losses with a 73-71 win in Cameron on Dec. 29, 1981. But since then, Duke has won 22 straight from the Wildcats.
    As an aside on that story, I always heard that Vic Bubas steered Hetzel to Lefty and Davidson to be certain he did not show up at another ACC school. Hetzel was from the DC area and was well known to ACC coaches.

I like Romar's program. Hope we play them more often, although I doubt we'll ever see the inside of Hec Ed. (But as basketball fans, all of you should. It's a great venue.)

Regarding the Davidson game, K often schedules games in arenas that are potential postseason sites, but that's not the case here. Charlotte isn't getting a pod; Greensboro is. (ATL, Phillips Arena rather than the Georgia Dome, has the ACC Tournament.)

No regional in Philly either, but there is one in Columbus. We'd probably have to be lower than a 4 seed to be sent anywhere other than GSO, however.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 05-25-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling