Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post

In terms of timing and 903, there's a very real possibility that it happens in a tiny little gym in Lahaina. The only way it doesn't is if: 1) we schedule an additional game before we leave for Maui so that we have three prior to reaching the island (MSU, mainland Maui Invitational game, and one more); and 2) we beat Michigan State.

In terms of opponent and 903, I have no idea whether Duke gets any say over which teams join the Maui Invitational as "mainland" teams, so that could simply be luck of the draw. But assuming we had our pick, who do we go with for 903? Go historical, and schedule Lehigh (K's first win) or Stetson (K's first win at Duke)? Go symbolic, and schedule Indiana (note: I think there is zero chance of this happening)? Go biographical, and schedule Army? Or try to schedule a heavyweight and make the game a really big deal (even moreso than it already would be)?

If 903 waits until Lahaina, then the question of opponent becomes more limited. I assume that the Maui bracket will be set up for Duke and Kansas to meet in the finals, with UCLA and Georgetown split up to be the designated semifinal opponents. That leaves Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee, and Chaminade as potential first round opponents. I, for one, hope it's not Chaminade (although what a story it would be if the Silver Swords won and kept K stuck on 902). Memphis and Michigan are almost certainly going to be pre-season top 25 teams, so my guess would be Tennessee.
    We already have our plane tickets and house rented for Maui, and last week I did this same math. I would be very excited if it happened in Maui, and I don't care who it is against. The idea that it needs to be special or against a great opponent is only relevant if 903 is the final game of K's career. He'll have plenty of great games after that one.

<speculation>
    In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the AD schedules so that 903 is almost guaranteed to happen at home. It would be a great way to reward the fans and make it a big celebration. I'm not sure that Coach K would allow that instead of the regular scheduling strategy, but a mitigating factor would be the experience that the team would have from its trip to China.
    </speculation>

Also, I saw someone on a discussion board say they wanted to play USC onteh way to Hawaii, but I don't recall layover games in the past. Again, it doesn't really fit the mold of prepping for the NCAA. Where a long flight to prep for 3 games in 3 days is a better preparation for tournament play.

Plumlee Home Game

I believe the Plumlees are from a part of Indiana that is as close to Chicago as it is to Indianapolis, so it is possible that either we will play someone in Chicago or Coach K considers one of our recent games in Chicago to have been their home game. Plus, tickets might not have been easy to come by for their local fans, but Mason and Miles got two games in Indianapolis last April that turned out pretty well!

Does anyone know who the ACC home teams are?

MBB: Big Ten Announces Home and Away Designations for Big Ten/ACC Challenge
    By Big Ten Conference on April 14, 2011 11:41 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks
    The Big Ten Conference has announced the home and away designations for the 2011 Big Ten/ACC Men's Basketball Challenge. Complete matchup information will be available in May. The Big Ten won the 2010 Challenge, 6-5.

Big Ten Home Teams: Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue
    Big Ten Away Teams: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin

I found this on the Big Ten website and tried to find a listing of the ACC home/road teams. Has anyone seen anything from the ACC? I looked for awhile and couldn't find anything. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Duke was sent to OSU but then I don't know who they would have UNC play. Maybe Wisconsin?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    MBB: Big Ten Announces Home and Away Designations for Big Ten/ACC Challenge
    By Big Ten Conference on April 14, 2011 11:41 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks
    The Big Ten Conference has announced the home and away designations for the 2011 Big Ten/ACC Men's Basketball Challenge. Complete matchup information will be available in May. The Big Ten won the 2010 Challenge, 6-5.

Big Ten Home Teams: Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue
    Big Ten Away Teams: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin

I found this on the Big Ten website and tried to find a listing of the ACC home/road teams. Has anyone seen anything from the ACC? I looked for awhile and couldn't find anything. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Duke was sent to OSU but then I don't know who they would have UNC play. Maybe Wisconsin?
    I would be shocked if it wasn't osu/unc.
    April 1

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I would be shocked if it wasn't osu/unc.
    Agree. With Kentucky spoiling the party in the NCAA Tourney by springing the upset on OSU, we will see UNC/OSU in the Challenge. I would bet Duke faces Michigan as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Agree. With Kentucky spoiling the party in the NCAA Tourney by springing the upset on OSU, we will see UNC/OSU in the Challenge. I would bet Duke faces Michigan as well..
    Not only that, but I feel they generally go for the big time hype matchup at the top (duke MSU this year is a perfect example of that). With UNC consensus top 2 in the nation, and OSU returning a monster of a team with one of the best players in the country, I can't see how the committee who makes the pairings could pass this one up.
    April 1

Unless they switch things around with this (I think) being the first year of a new contract for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, we would be due for a road game and Carolina for a home game, in which case UNC couldn't play at Ohio St.

If they stick to the past practice, then I'd expect we would be at Ohio St., and Carolina would host Michigan.

Given the anticipated rankings, I do agree it would make more sense to flip the order of the years when Duke and Carolina play at home vs. go on the road, so they could match the Heels and Ohio St., and us and Michigan.

In recent years, they seem to do whatever they want. In the last 4 years Duke hosted Wisconsin, played at Purdue, played at Wisconsin and hosted Michigan St.

Duke has never received the return visit from Purdue and we know it won't be Michigan State since we play them in the Champions Classic.

I agree with uh_no in that a UNC/OSU matchup may be too enticing especially since a Michigan at UNC doesn't sound appealing at all (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Unless they switch things around with this (I think) being the first year of a new contract for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, we would be due for a road game and Carolina for a home game, in which case UNC couldn't play at Ohio St.
    Yes, it's the first year, and no, there are no rules requiring it to alternate home and away. If that were the case, each school would only ever be able to play half of the schools in the other conference (if Duke were home in even years and away on odd years, then we'd only ever play big10 schools that were away on even years and home on odd years). As far as I'm aware, the only thing the contract stipulates with regard to this is that each team plays half of their games away and half at home.

As someone else pointed out, we played two away games in a row in 2008 and 2009.
    April 1

Team for Maui Inv.

http://www.mauiinvitational.com/teams/fieldsfuture.asp

Duke, G'town, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, UCLA, Tennesse and Chaminade.

Other teams will be added another time

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    http://www.mauiinvitational.com/teams/fieldsfuture.asp

Duke, G'town, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, UCLA, Tennesse and Chaminade.

Other teams will be added another time
    Any predictions on the matchups?

My preferred set-up (which is at least close to how I think they'll actually set it up, although I still worry that we'll get Chaminade):

Duke-Georgetown
    UCLA-Tennessee
    (winners play in semis)

Kansas-Chaminade
    Memphis-Michigan
    (winners play in semis)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Wow. What a great test for us, especially our bigs going up against Sullinger. I thought UNC would play OSU, like everyone else, but I'm pretty excited about the matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieinSoCal View Post
    Wow. What a great test for us, especially our bigs going up against Sullinger. I thought UNC would play OSU, like everyone else, but I'm pretty excited about the matchup.
    Awesome. That will be a heck of a game. Can't wait to see how the Plums do with Sully.

As I guessed, we draw OSU on the road. Should be a big test for us and, with it being the day before my birthday, I may try to head to Columbus to see it go down!

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    As I guessed, we draw OSU on the road. Should be a big test for us and, with it being the day before my birthday, I may try to head to Columbus to see it go down!
    You'd better, amigo. Just don't wear any of that M*chibad clothing.

Since OSU's football program may no longer exist come November, I anticipate a loud Schottenstein Center for the Duke game.

Bucks have a lot of firepower returning. Should be an interesting early-season contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    You'd better, amigo. Just don't wear any of that M*chibad clothing.

Since OSU's football program may no longer exist come November, I anticipate a loud Schottenstein Center for the Duke game.

Bucks have a lot of firepower returning. Should be an interesting early-season contest.
    I promise I will leave most of my Michigan gear at home
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Anyone with a summary?

There is alot of debate on how the schedule will look...does anyone have a prelim look of how it actually sets up?

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    As I guessed, we draw OSU on the road.
    Does anyone know if this game will actually be in Columbus or if it will be at the Q (where the Cavs play) in Cleveland? I'm hoping the latter because with a then 8 month old baby, I dont think my wife will let me drive all the way to Columbus (5 hours round trip + game time + "celebrating Duke's win" time), especially since she is not really a Duke (or college basketball) fan. The Q I could swing.

P.S. Does anybody know a good marriage counselor for husbands who's wives are not Duke (or college basketball) fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mambo View Post
    Does anyone know if this game will actually be in Columbus or if it will be at the Q (where the Cavs play) in Cleveland? I'm hoping the latter because with a then 8 month old baby, I dont think my wife will let me drive all the way to Columbus (5 hours round trip + game time + "celebrating Duke's win" time), especially since she is not really a Duke (or college basketball) fan. The Q I could swing.

P.S. Does anybody know a good marriage counselor for husbands who's wives are not Duke (or college basketball) fans?
    Sorry, but the game will be in Columbus. The challenge did away with semi-neutral sites 7 or 8 years ago. All games are at home sites now.